This team needs to start acting like they care.

amdcpus

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as players losing their temper and stuff, I really don't mind that stuff. I don't want to see a bunch of robots that pretend like they have no emotions. This is a highly competitive sport with guys that want to win and get pissed off when things don't go right. I don't mind seeing guys throw their bats or arm guards after striking out in a critical situation so long as they aren't throwing it in the direction of any people or players. I don't mind seeing 3-4 bench clearing brawls every year. I don't mind seeing a guy toss the water cooler, slam his bat repeatedly into the bat enclosure in the dugout or slam his glove all over the bench in the dugout after a bad pitching performance that inning. I don't need to see it all the time, but occasionally? Sure and I'd miss that stuff if it stopped happening. I want to see emotion and I don't think doing any of those things indicates an anger management issue.

MIlton Bradley getting a bottle thrown at him from the stands, picking it up and hurling it back into the crowd? Now that's a problem because fans could get seriously hurt and you just can't do that. Destroying a dugout phone? Don't care. Not even a little. If it becomes a chronic occurrence, then I'd agree there's probably an issue there. Losing your cool sometimes in a highly competitive arena like this? To me, that's completely normal and expected and I have no problem at all with it so long as it doesn't become a regular event and it doesn't involve things like pitchers throwing 95 at someone's head, deliberately tossing bats at players at high velocity / using it as a weapon on the field or in any way putting fans at unnecessary risk. Water coolers? Dugout phones? Bats? Gloves? Brawls? Meh.. I just don't care unless it becomes a constant event. I WANT to see emotion sometimes.

However, the idea that the team should wreck the clubhouse is hilarious in a ridiculous way. It sounds like more of a comedy sketch or something. Britt is outside the clubhouse saying she can't go in because the team is destroying it and you hear things being broken and guys yelling in the background just behind the door. Sounds pretty funny, but if that really happened, I don't think this team would be fit to play. That's just too much.

1 hour ago, osfan83 said:

Whenever the O's lose, to show my passion, I trash my family room, breaking up the couch, throwing the TV through the window. This way my my neighbors know I care! The next day I buy new stuff that lasts until the next loss......this week has been quite expensive! 

But you are helping  the economic boom. Keep buying new appliances and furniture and keep the economic growth robust. You are a great American. The more the Orioles lose the better.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:23 PM, amdcpus said:

I also want to see Cortes' smug face kicked off the team for blowing the game as well as Rasmus DFAed for being a failure. If the locker room isn't destroyed when Buck shows up tomorrow morning, then something's wrong with the motivation of the team.

Oh that's ridiculous. You want to kick a player off the team for a team loss? You think he lost it for bad pitching? Wasn't that just the 4 game? Way too early. 

o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/08)

Richard Bleier was literally barking as he walked off of the mound after striking out Jace Peterson with the potential winning run on 2nd base to end the bottom of the 11th inning just now.

He was really barking, like a dog ........ not that it would necessarily mean that he DIDN'T care if he HADN'T barked.

o

On 4/5/2018 at 11:39 AM, Frobby said:

Interesting article on this topic in Fangraphs this week:  https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-law-of-the-basebrawler/

As to calmunderfire, he had perhaps the most ironic screen name ever concocted, given his personality.   

I seem to remember him having a weird hangup on Manny and the slider.

I will say, Manny nearly cost us the game with a terrible nonchalant play at SS where he underestimated the runner's speed, turning a routine play into a baserunner that sure enough came around to put the Yankees up two. If they had brought in Betances early we probably lose the game and then this thread would have been spot on.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I will say, Manny nearly cost us the game with a terrible nonchalant play at SS where he underestimated the runner's speed, turning a routine play into a baserunner that sure enough came around to put the Yankees up two. If they had brought in Betances early we probably lose the game and then this thread would have been spot on.

o

Please go back and read the OP, along with his subsequent comments afterward. 

According to him, Mike Wright was setting a wonderful example by punching out the dugout wall after he gave up 5 runs in 2/3 of an inning today, and Nestor Cortes would have been kicked off of the team earlier this week for having a smug look on his face.

The only place where this absurd thread would be "spot on" would be if it were an article in The Onion.

o

On 4/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, Sessh said:

MIlton Bradley getting a bottle thrown at him from the stands, picking it up and hurling it back into the crowd? Now that's a problem because fans could get seriously hurt and you just can't do that. Destroying a dugout phone? Don't care. Not even a little. If it becomes a chronic occurrence, then I'd agree there's probably an issue there. Losing your cool sometimes in a highly competitive arena like this? To me, that's completely normal and expected and I have no problem at all with it so long as it doesn't become a regular event and it doesn't involve things like pitchers throwing 95 at someone's head, deliberately tossing bats at players at high velocity / using it as a weapon on the field or in any way putting fans at unnecessary risk. Water coolers? Dugout phones? Bats? Gloves? Brawls? Meh.. I just don't care unless it becomes a constant event. I WANT to see emotion sometimes.

I disagree with you in every way. 

47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think @OFFNY sufficiently addressed the second half of your statement.  As for the first half, I just rewatched the play multiple times and need to say that you're overselling it a bit here.  He could have hurried it more, but he wasn't dragging along.  MM was going to his right (viewer's left), got his feet set and threw in a pretty timely manner.  To call it "terribl[y] nonchalant" is overselling it big time.  The other side of him speeding things up is that he sails the ball into the 1B side stands potentially.  It ended up being a bang-bang play.  Again, he certainly could have sped it up, but to use it as evidence of him not caring (thus supporting the thesis of this thread) is misguided, IMHO.

Archived