This team needs to start acting like they care.

amdcpus

12 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think @OFFNY sufficiently addressed the second half of your statement.  As for the first half, I just rewatched the play multiple times and need to say that you're overselling it a bit here.  He could have hurried it more, but he wasn't dragging along.  MM was going to his right (viewer's left), got his feet set and threw in a pretty timely manner.  To call it "terribl[y] nonchalant" is overselling it big time.  The other side of him speeding things up is that he sails the ball into the 1B side stands potentially.  It ended up being a bang-bang play.  Again, he certainly could have sped it up, but to use it as evidence of him not caring (thus supporting the thesis of this thread) is misguided, IMHO.

I don't think it was not caring, but being nonchalant was a pretty good was actually a pretty good description. Manny is still trying to get his SS clock on time and this was a great example of him taking way too much time to get rid of the ball. Was it routine, no, probably a step above routine, but it was definitely a play the average major league shortstop should make.

Manny was able to do that at third base because the throws are usually shorter, but with a speedy runner he just can't take that amount of time to nonchalantly take an extra step, windup and they try to throw a rocket over to first base.

I think his lack of experience at SS in the major league was more of an issue than not caring. Now if he's still missing these plays later in the year then I'll be concerned.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Maybe - and I'm just spitballing here - the Astros are the best team in baseball and that is why the Orioles struggled with them on the road.

The series at Yankee Stadium was a lot more competitive.  I know they're supposed to be really good too but right now, they ain't the Astros.

Agreed. Not taking anything away from the great four-game series from the Orioles, but outside of the bullpen's big three, this team doesn't scare me. I think the Astros are head and shoulders better than the Yankees.

9 hours ago, O's84 said:

amdcpus must be a Cowboys fan.  Here he displays the proper way to show you care after a loss:

I've been known to get a little angry during Ravens games and occasionally during Orioles games, but this guy is a psycho. Now, did I berate Matt Wieters through my television for calling for first pitch fastballs against Raúl Ibañez in a series of profanities that questioned everything from his baseball acumen to his parents decision to conceive him in the first place? Perhaps. But I didn't break anything. ;)

The Yanks were very sloppy(lazy) with cut-offs/relays, the receiving players were not in positions to catch and throw..O's got a couple of runs because of it. Someone tell me please, is the new thing for outfielders to one, or two hop throws to the on plays that are for the most part over?

For me, it's always been hard to tell when a team "doesn't care" or they've "given up."  When you're down 5 runs in the 9th, it's a difficult lens to look through. 

If Jones or Machado strikes out during a blowout loss and slunks back to the dugout with their head hanging, it's easy to say they "don't care."

15 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think @OFFNY sufficiently addressed the second half of your statement.  As for the first half, I just rewatched the play multiple times and need to say that you're overselling it a bit here.  He could have hurried it more, but he wasn't dragging along.  MM was going to his right (viewer's left), got his feet set and threw in a pretty timely manner.  To call it "terribl[y] nonchalant" is overselling it big time.  The other side of him speeding things up is that he sails the ball into the 1B side stands potentially.  It ended up being a bang-bang play.  Again, he certainly could have sped it up, but to use it as evidence of him not caring (thus supporting the thesis of this thread) is misguided, IMHO.

Yeah, at first glance I thought he was fine, but he didn’t ‘set his feet’ until it was too late. Bordick actually counted his steps at five after he gloved the ball. That is a little too nonchalant. And it cost him.

Gotta say, I had no idea Peterson is that fast, but Machado should.

Edit: So, after watching again I’ve concluded he wasn’t aware of the runner’s (Peterson) speed.  If you look at it, you can see Machado glance up at Peterson and then he speeds up his arm action to try and make the play. I’m going to say that if he knows how quickly Peterson is getting down the line, then he’s a little more efficient with his footwork.

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, at first glance I thought he was fine, but he didn’t ‘set his feet’ until it was too late. Bordick actually counted his steps at five after he gloved the ball. That is a little too nonchalant. And it cost him.

Gotta say, I had no idea Peterson is that fast, but Machado should.

Edit: So, after watching again I’ve concluded he wasn’t aware of the runner’s (Peterson) speed.  If you look at it, you can see Machado glance up at Peterson and then he speeds up his arm action to try and make the play. I’m going to say that if he knows how quickly Peterson is getting down the line, then he’s a little more efficient with his footwork.

Ultimately I'm not arguing against the notion that he couldn't/shouldn't have been a bit quicker with the ball.  I just don't think it's evidence of not caring or that it was particularly "terrible" w/r/t being nonchalant.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I've been known to get a little angry during Ravens games and occasionally during Orioles games, but this guy is a psycho. Now, did I berate Matt Wieters through my television for calling for first pitch fastballs against Raúl Ibañez in a series of profanities that questioned everything from his baseball acumen to his parents decision to conceive him in the first place? Perhaps. But I didn't break anything. ;)

Yeah there's definitely a difference between occasional verbal cussing, and going complete psycho and smashing everything in sight.  I think at that point he needs to take a break from watching sports for awhile or better yet, give it up entirely.

28 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Ultimately I'm not arguing against the notion that he couldn't/shouldn't have been a bit quicker with the ball.  I just don't think it's evidence of not caring or that it was particularly "terrible" w/r/t being nonchalant.

And I agree with that.

15 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Yeah there's definitely a difference between occasional verbal cussing, and going complete psycho and smashing everything in sight.  I think at that point he needs to take a break from watching sports for awhile or better yet, give it up entirely.

Ibanez was different though.

31 minutes ago, weams said:

Ibanez was different though.

An additional sad part of that video was it was only a regular season game and the Cowboys were already 6-1.

As for Ibanez, I admit I cursed the hell out of myself but refrained from breaking anything.  I hate the NYY and their fans.  Hopefully one day we will be able to repay the favor to them and happily watch MFY fans flip out!

5 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Big difference between still learning his clock at SS and not caring. If Mike Wright punching the dugout wall is looking like they care, I'd rather they look nonchalant 

Yeah, the shorter distance of a ball to 3B would account for that style of Manny's.

As for Wright... that little episode caught on camera really says a lot about his maturity (i.e., lack thereof). Last straw for me... as if the performance itself wasn't, LOL.

Now, on to Beckham: Was running through the 3B coach's stop sign an example of caring too much? Glad he cared enough to plate a couple of RBIs after that! BTW, watching Dickerson place hands on hips and continue staring at the outfield while Beckham scored was priceless.

Archived