So do you expect Arrieta and Wieters to be in Bowie by Friday?

MarkakisFan21

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Arrieta moves up to Bowie who moves to Frederick? Maybe Zach Clark joining that starting rotation. I can't think of any guys at Delmarva ready to come up.

Frederick is carrying three catchers so Wieters moving up isn't a big deal.

I would be shocked to see both in Bowie by Friday, or even Thursday when Carolina League play resumes. Wieters is a gimme with Pierce/Johnson as catchers, but Arrieta... that's a little bit of a stretch for me at this point.

I would be shocked to see both in Bowie by Friday, or even Thursday when Carolina League play resumes. Wieters is a gimme with Pierce/Johnson as catchers, but Arrieta... that's a little bit of a stretch for me at this point.

There is nothing left for Arrieta to prove at single A...Leaving him down there is pretty much worthless at this point.

His last few starts haven't been great but the injury had something to do with that and it doesn't erase his stats or his utter domination in his first several starts...He was an advanced college pitcher and needs to be at a level that better challenges him.

If Arrieta moves up to Bowie who moves to Frederick? Maybe Zach Clark joining that starting rotation. I can't think of any guys at Delmarva ready to come up.

Frederick is carrying three catchers so Wieters moving up isn't a big deal.

No one at Delmarva ready to move up?!

Then I think you're not looking close enough.

There is nothing left for Arrieta to prove at single A...Leaving him down there is pretty much worthless at this point.

His last few starts haven't been great but the injury had something to do with that and it doesn't erase his stats or his utter domination in his first several starts...He was an advanced college pitcher and needs to be at a level that better challenges him.

But why move a guy up if he's not 100 percent? If Arrieta is still bothered by the back, then there's no reason to have him face tougher batters. If he's fine and the O's think he's back, then I have no problem with moving him up, but his struggles of late don't shout out for immediate promotion.

Wieters on the other hand needs to be in Bowie about 12 hours after the All-star game is over. :D

But why move a guy up if he's not 100 percent? If Arrieta is still bothered by the back, then there's no reason to have him face tougher batters. :D

Bingo! Wieters is a no brainer, but I doubt very seriously that Arrieta's promotion is a gimme, right now. Once he's shown he's healthy and has another dominant start or two, I can see him being on his way.

More important than a promotion for Arrieta is, what is the status of Matusz' negotiations?

But why move a guy up if he's not 100 percent? If Arrieta is still bothered by the back, then there's no reason to have him face tougher batters. If he's fine and the O's think he's back, then I have no problem with moving him up, but his struggles of late don't shout out for immediate promotion.

Wieters on the other hand needs to be in Bowie about 12 hours after the All-star game is over. :D

SG actually said in his opening post if Arriets is 100% then you gotta move him up.

if he's not healthy, i am fine with him being in Frederick...However, if he's not healthy, he needs to be on the DL...Then come back for a "rehab start or 2" in Frederick and then move to Bowie. If he is healthy, having him in Frederick now is a waste of time.

Suppose he is healthy. He's had 4 mediocre starts in a row. Do you just disregard that and promote him anyway?

Well, the first of those 4 was related to the injury, we know that. And i would suspect that the second of those 4 had at least something to do with the injury..Avencil said he didn't look 100% in that start.

And in the last 3 of those starts, he has still displayed a very good K rate and walk rate and 1 of the 4 starts, he only gave up 2 runs in 5.2 innings which isn't some terrible start.

So yes, he has shown me nothing in his last 4 starts to negate his overall numbers and success.

His BABIP was low early on..That was bound to start evening out some...Just the way it is.

Absolutely no reason to have a healthy Arrieta make another start in Frederick.

Absolutely no reason to have a healthy Arrieta make another start in Frederick.

Well, if he does make another start there, I'm sure that Stockstill and MacPhail will have a reason for it, namely, they don't think he's ready. It might mean they want him to have some post injury confidence builders before a promotion, or anything else, for that matter. Fact is, I will probably never know the reason because I don't talk with the decision makers very often (or at all!:D ).

And, if he is promoted after the All-Star game, I'm sure that they'll have a reason for that, as well, ie. they do think he's ready and will benefit from the promotion. I guess we'll have to wait 'til the end of the week and see.

Archived