Rosenthal on Tex and the Orioles

fearthenoodle

Let me point out two big reasons why Texiera is not coming here. #1 Giambi is it the last year of his 20 million dollar a year contract. The Yankees can add Tex for what He's asking and won't add a penny to the payroll. #2 the Mets need Tex worst than anyone. Delgdao is out the door in ny. The mets can dump Deldado 16 mill a year and pick up Tex. I don't see the birds matching that. Plus if Tex wants a world series ring in the near future the mets and yankees closer to that than we are.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me point out two big reasons why Texiera is not coming here. #1 Giambi is it the last year of his 20 million dollar a year contract. The Yankees can add Tex for what He's asking and won't add a penny to the payroll. #2 the Mets need Tex worst than anyone. Delgdao is out the door in ny. The mets can dump Deldado 16 mill a year and pick up Tex. I don't see the birds matching that. Plus if Tex wants a world series ring in the near future the mets and yankees closer to that than we are.

Exactly, the O's aren't going to win a bidding war with the 7 other teams that are interested in Tex. All this discussion is academic. Or did you forget that Baltimore is one of the peasants?

For one player, the Orioles can bid with anyone.

Seriously doubt that's true. The Yankees' annual revenue is almost double what the Orioles make. The Yankees make $327 million a year, while the Orioles make $166 million a year. That's a $161 million dollar a year difference in revenues between the two teams. And this doesn't include the Yankees additional revenue from their new stadium.

The Kansas City Royals can bid with any team for one player too, in theory. But in reality, if the Yankees want a player, they can afford to spend significantly more than the Orioles, or any other team in baseball. The Yankees make $100 million dollars a year more than every team in baseball, except for the Mets and Red Sox. They Yankees make $64 million a year more than the Red Sox, and $92 million more a year than the Mets.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Rank.html?boxes=custom

If the Orioles or any other team could spend on one player what the Yankees can, there would have been more than one bidder for Alex Rodriguez when he was on the free agent market. There was no other bidder for ARod. What does that say?

Practically, the Yankees could BLOW AWAY any offer that the Orioles choose to made to Teixeira if they really wanted. To not see this is pure folly.

Seriously doubt that's true. The Yankees' annual revenue is almost double what the Orioles make. The Yankees make $327 million a year, while the Orioles make $166 million a year. That's a $161 million dollar a year difference in revenues between the two teams. And this doesn't include the Yankees additional revenue from their new stadium.

The Kansas City Royals can bid with any team for one player too, in theory. But in reality, if the Yankees want a player, they can afford to spend significantly more than the Orioles, or any other team in baseball. The Yankees make $100 million dollars a year more than every team in baseball, except for the Mets and Red Sox. They Yankees make $64 million a year more than the Red Sox, and $92 million more a year than the Mets.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Rank.html?boxes=custom

If the Orioles or any other team could spend on one player what the Yankees can, there would have been more than one bidder for Alex Rodriguez when he was on the free agent market. There was no other bidder for ARod. What does that say?

Practically, the Yankees could BLOW AWAY any offer that the Orioles choose to made to Teixeira if they really wanted. To not see this is pure folly.

Ok, if the Yankees want to spend 30+ million a year on a player, the could do it easier than the Orioles...But let's get back in reality world.....For 20-25 million a year, the highest Tex has a chance of going, the Orioles can bid with any team and match or beat their offer.

They can, but there is a limit. It has been said that no playoff-hopeful team has one player making 20% of the total payroll. The Orioles used that as they're rationale in the past to draw a line where they wouldn't go in bidding for free agents. Tex, at $16M/year, pushes us up to that threshold. Fans who are deadset on the Orioles signing Teixeira are setting themselves up for some heartache.

My hope is that Teixeira makes his choice quickly so that the fanbase can move on, but Boras doesn't operate that way. I still put the over/under at Teixeira topics this offseason at 100, some fueled by insider speculation.

They can, but there is a limit. It has been said that no playoff-hopeful team has one player making 20% of the total payroll. The Orioles used that as they're rationale in the past to draw a line where they wouldn't go in bidding for free agents. Tex, at $16M/year, pushes us up to that threshold. Fans who are deadset on the Orioles signing Teixeira are setting themselves up for some heartache.

My hope is that Teixeira makes his choice quickly so that the fanbase can move on, but Boras doesn't operate that way. I still put the over/under at Teixeira topics this offseason at 100, some fueled by insider speculation.

Hasn't this happened though?

That was the way it was like 5 or so years ago but i think that has changed since?

20 million a season? I don't think thats bad at all. With that contract, the Orioles still wouldn't be above 100 million in payroll after all the contracts they're shedding.

20 million, not bad at all??? Chump Change huh?? How about the 8 years?? That is a Yankee type contract IMO. 6 years 114 with the money front loaded some so we do not have a mid 30 year old player making 20 plus a year.

Someone like AROD, Hanley Ramirez, etc. I could see giving 25 or so million to....

However, Mark Texiera is a fine player, but no way is he in the same echelon as those guys IMO. I would not be shocked if he got this kind of money, but IMO he simply is not worth this much.

Sometimes you have to overpay, but wow, some fiscal responsibity here would prudent.

Archived