Roch: Dan Duquette - Cavalry is not coming.

weams

I mean I get why Dan and MASN are still tooting the horn of it being early and the delusion that we will mount a comeback.  The casual fan will buy this and they do not want to depress already lagging ticket sales until they absolutely have to..

And Dan also knows that even if he wants to have a fire sale, Potter won’t go for it now, maybe not ever.  And that even if Potter said OK, other teams that actually may still have season aspirations are not going to be as ready this early to buy. 

But none of that has anything to do with the virtual certainty  that there will be no playoffs for us in 2018.  That is just a fact. 
Since the latest divisional system was instituted with wildcards, 19 teams have started the season with records of 6-18 or worse. None have made the playoffs. Zero. The Orioles will not be the first. Maintaining this PR shared fantasy of contending this season and now having some historic comeback is being used to not totally depress lagging ticket sales. This team needed to be rebuilt two years ago, ownership has refused, and now having totally waited and done virtually nothing will likely make even longer the run of losing seasons that those of us staying with this team after 2018 will have to endure...unlike certain GMs.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, weams said:

He is on the DL now. I did not think that he meant immediately on this. I thought he meant in the context of Pre-Memorial Day. 

Sisco needs to play, and Buck will never get rid of Caleb. C is a non-issue in that regard.

I think the experienced major leaguers who can help that he's talking about are Britton, Trumbo, Rasmus and Shcoop, all guys on the DL. That's a closer and 1/3 of the lineup. Trumbo is probably a lost cause, but Schoop and Rasmus would certainly be of some help. They should all be joining the O's over the next 4-5 weeks. We will still be a bad team, but we will be able to show off all our talent to potential suitors (assuming Manny and Brach don't get hurt).

Baseball is weird. Anything could happen. Hopefully the O's can take advantage of an easy May schedule. They aren't going to sell until July anyway no matter what happens, so I'm just going to try and enjoy some games and this beautiful weather until then.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think the experienced major leaguers who can help that he's talking about are Britton, Trumbo, Rasmus and Shcoop, all guys on the DL. That's a closer and 1/3 of the lineup. Trumbo is probably a lost cause, but Schoop and Rasmus would certainly be of some help. They should all be joining the O's over the next 4-5 weeks. We will still be a bad team, but we will be able to show off all our talent to potential suitors (assuming Manny and Brach don't get hurt).

Am I reading this right? Colby ".095 and 60% K rate" Rasmus is going to help somehow?

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

It makes sense to wait until clubs have a better idea of what they need before making trades. The 54 G bench mark is where clubs usually make those decisions, before that there will be less of a market and lees return.

A 54G bench!--that's quite thrifty.

Archived