MLB Trade rumors on Orioles overhual .

HOF19

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This organization does not do much of anything really well.  Quite frankly, I do believe that this recent run of winning seasons was a little bit of luck.  Sweater Vest brings in Tillman and Jones, also pulled a great trade for Davis (remember when Davis was actually a good player?).  They draft Manny, but Manny is too good, not even the Orioles could screw that up.  Patchwork rotation for years, and a good bullpen.

Never gets mentioned but our brief success largely had to do with a couple rare awful years by Boston and meh years by New York. Also a closer literally never blowing a save. Stars really aligned.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the bigger thing to point out is that there are indications that we're not looking at an overhaul.   We're looking at making some moves and trying to band-aid a team that management feels can compete quickly.   I'm just not seeing it.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the more correct thing is to say that the player development is doing a poor job overall.

I highly agree with this. I think the O's scouts have done a fine job drafting with what they have. The farm system just can't develop players those players with any reliability at all.

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We can dice it any way you want.  Doesn't change the reality of the situation.

But it does change the narrative, which I think is important.  To say "we suck at drafting" simply isn't true in recent history.  If you want to say "we don't draft well enough to overcome all of the other obstacles that are placed in the way", then that's a different story.  But they'd probably have to be the best in the league given the limitations on them.

7 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I think the bigger thing to point out is that there are indications that we're not looking at an overhaul.   We're looking at making some moves and trying to band-aid a team that management feels can compete quickly.   I'm just not seeing it.  

It's hard to be optimistic about anything at the moment.

But, they obviously feel pretty confident in a starting 4 of Gausman, Bundy, Cobb and Cashner next year.  The bullpen is a huge question but I'm sure they are optimistic in Givens, Castro and Scott as the new "core".  They'll have O'Day next year as well unless they trade him.

They can sell me on that staff, but I just don't think they can pull off the right moves to get enough offense to compete in the near term.  

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the more correct thing is to say that the player development is doing a poor job overall.

You have to have the talent to develop.  How many Latin American players are even on our full season rosters. That we signed?  It’s pathetic. The best coaches can’t turn 34th round picks out of SUNY-Binhampton into MLB regulars. 

Next point, here is what scares me. Let’s say we completely blow it up. We have to hit on just about every prospect acquired, 1st rd pick and so forth. We don’t have the depth to deal with failure or injuries. Depth comes from Latin America. 

With that being said. Why blow it up?  Resign Manny. Pray we hit on Harvey and the OFs for next year. 

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

But it does change the narrative, which I think is important.  To say "we suck at drafting" simply isn't true in recent history.  If you want to say "we don't draft well enough to overcome all of the other obstacles that are placed in the way", then that's a different story.  But they'd probably have to be the best in the league given the limitations on them.

We can talk about narratives all day long, that's fine.  I mean, I still think they suck at drafting, you haven't been able to really make me consider otherwise, other than pointing out that they haven't been picking at the top of the draft.  

That aside, someone's the best at drafting.  Why can't it be us?

Oh right, cause of Orioles.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We can talk about narratives all day long, that's fine.  I mean, I still think they suck at drafting, you haven't been able to really make me consider otherwise, other than pointing out that they haven't been picking at the top of the draft.  

That aside, someone's the best at drafting.  Why can't it be us?

Oh right, cause of Orioles.

That's fine.  When the team is 8-26 it's pretty low-hanging fruit to say that everything about the club sucks because Orioles.  I'm just pointing out that among all the failures the draft is the one thing they've been OK at over the past 5-6 years or so.  You can continue to think they suck at it if you want.

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You have to have the talent to develop.  How many Latin American players are even on our full season rosters. That we signed?  It’s pathetic. The best coaches can’t turn 34th round picks out of SUNY-Binhampton into MLB regulars. 

Next point, here is what scares me. Let’s say we completely blow it up. We have to hit on just about every prospect acquired, 1st rd pick and so forth. We don’t have the depth to deal with failure or injuries. Depth comes from Latin America. 

With that being said. Why blow it up?  Resign Manny. Pray we hit on Harvey and the OFs for next year. 

Our lack of exposure in the international market is the real kicker. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Part of you thinking this team can get better revolves around Joey Rickard.

Joey Rickard.

Joey Rickard.

Joey Rickard.

One more time.

Joey Rickard.

Even if Schoop and Trumbo get hot somehow, this team is looking at 60 wins, best case scenario.  

Felix Pie. :)

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Safe to say the two most exciting rookies and the most exciting player in the minors are international players.

I love it when you go all "weams" on us!  (Pedro, Anthony, Jomar?)

54 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

That's fine.  When the team is 8-26 it's pretty low-hanging fruit to say that everything about the club sucks because Orioles.  I'm just pointing out that among all the failures the draft is the one thing they've been OK at over the past 5-6 years or so.  You can continue to think they suck at it if you want.

Ok, well tell me why they've been OK at drafting over the past 5-6 years.  I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm seriously trying to understand what they've done well when it comes to drafting.  

3 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I think he meant Ohtani, Acuna, and Guerrero, Jr.  (and he could have added Gleyber Torres as well)

I won't turn on a Yankees game just to watch Torres.  The only time Torres gets mentioned at work it's by a Yankee fan.

Not at the same level for me.

Archived