Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Perhaps he traded a second Cy Young, but probably not Zach Davies

Better chance for it to be Josh Hader if Milwaukee would move him back to a starting pitcher

or probably the most likely will be Tobias Myers, great stuff and now in an organization that knows how to develop young pitching

Tobias Myers? You are an absolute hoot. Man. You make my day! I'll bet you straight up on that. No odds. You Myers Cy Young. Me Meyers not. Fair?

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

If an "Ace" is a pitcher who allows two home runs every nine innings pitched and holds a 5.00 ERA, then everybody DD trades is an ace. We will be blaming him for letting Wade Miley get away soon if we overestimate the value of every single speculative article about who "could turn into an ace," whether they be 30 year olds with crappy stats or low-A ball prospects.  

I'd agree with you, except the Orioles trade away a lot of "speculative aces". No one's writing articles about Wade Miley. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You don’t have a basis to say that IMO.    He had success in our organization right to the moment we traded him.     

A few Orioles starters had success in the minors then never found it in the majors. Recent history suggests Davies struggles here in the majors. For whatever reason.

I didnt like the Miranda/ Miley or Beckham/Meyers trades. The Erod trade and Davies trades were long enough ago that i didnt think they would burn us long term. Now they look bad.  Add in Bridwell and Arrieta and its a disaster. Also Brealt in Pittsburgh could easily convert into a starter. And Hader the power arm. Do the Orioles just believe they cant develop anyone? 

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

A few Orioles starters had success in the minors then never found it in the majors. Recent history suggests Davies struggles here in the majors. For whatever reason.

I can’t think of too many recent starters who had the smooth glide path through the minors that Davies did.     Had we retained him, he would have been under the tutelage of Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti, rather than the coaches who worked with guys like Arrieta, Matusz and Britton (when he was a starter).      I’m not willing to assume Wallace and Chiti would have messed him up.   

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Perhaps he traded a second Cy Young, but probably not Zach Davies

Better chance for it to be Josh Hader if Milwaukee would move him back to a starting pitcher

or probably the most likely will be Tobias Myers, great stuff and now in an organization that knows how to develop young pitching

How bout I buy you a beer in the baseball stadium of your choice when you are proven right when Hader or Myers wins the Cy Young.  

15 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I didnt like the Miranda/ Miley or Beckham/Meyers trades. The Erod trade and Davies trades were long enough ago that i didnt think they would burn us long term. Now they look bad.  Add in Bridwell and Arrieta and its a disaster. Also Brealt in Pittsburgh could easily convert into a starter. And Hader the power arm. Do the Orioles just believe they cant develop anyone? 

It's been beaten to death here that the Ed-Rod swap for Andrew Miller in the middle of a playoff chase can only be looked at as bad in hindsight because we didn't win anything. At the time, it was a fine trade. He really bolstered the pen back there.

Bridwell and Arrieta weren't having success here. I'm not convinced they'd be the same pitchers they are now hanging out in Baltimore. I think you need to let those guys go. You can blame the development strategy here, but I don't think the trades were poor.

As for Brault, Hader, and Miley... I agree. Didn't like those trades then, don't like them now. You also forgot about Stephen Tarpley who is in New York now.

For the moment, I still like Beckham trade.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

You don’t have a basis to say that IMO.    He had success in our organization right to the moment we traded him.     

Arrieta had success until he reached Baltimore, so did Matusz, Wright is becoming one, you might even say Gausman too depending on if last year was a aberration or not. I'm fully aware that sometimes pitchers just can't hang at the major league level and that's a likely culprit too. But the O's just absolutely can not seem to develop pitching.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I'd agree with you, except the Orioles trade away a lot of "speculative aces". No one's writing articles about Wade Miley.

Every Starting Pitcher is going to be proclaimed a "future ace" or a "dark-horse Cy Young winner" by some writer. Actual Cy Young winners, like Jake Arrieta, are exceptions to the rule. And with all the hype from the moment he was signed, Arrieta should have won at least one Cy Young. I'd love to have Davies now but I wouldn't hold unrealistic expectations of him becoming one of the league's elite starting pitchers.

And you are going to love this 2012 article from the venerable magazine, Sports Illustrated...

"(H)ere he is, the ace of the defending NL West champs."
"Miley, who ranks in the top six in the league in ERA, wins (12) and WHIP (1.09), could even force his way into Cy Young discussion." https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/08/09/wade-miley-diamondbacks

The only reason I chose this one is that the author mentions both "ace" and Cy Young candidate.

10 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

And you are going to love this 2012 article from the venerable magazine, Sports Illustrated...

The only reason I chose this one is that the author mentions both "ace" and Cy Young candidate.

Well hey, when you're right you're right. Kudos.

Archived