Thanks for Contributing, Nick

bryanman8

So how long to you wait to see signs of greatness? I can see this same conversation this time next year... is 3 years long enough? 4?

I would say by the time he is 25, we should be seeing consistent 900ish OPS seasons if he is going to be "great".

If not, he will more than likely be a solid player and a every once in a while AS caliber guy but probably not some "great" player.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how long to you wait to see signs of greatness? I can see this same conversation this time next year... is 3 years long enough? 4?

Actually he has already shown signs of greatness (see last Aug). But the question about how long you wait to see that consistantly is definately more than 1000 ABs, wouldn't you think? Heck there is a love affair with Crawford around here and we are still waiting for greatness from him and it has been 4+ years. The problem with the O's and us fans to a degree is Nick is tied too greatly to the team just being average. We have produced so few above average players (exactly two: Roberts and Nick) over the past 9 years or so that we at times look at a young guy as the problem, when in truth the problem is that we don't have 4 or five players like BRob or Nick in the lineup. When you actually have a steady stream of top talent flowing up through your sytem eventually one or two of the guys actually take the step to being great. When you average one every 5+ years things will not be so good.

Talk to me when Terry Crowley is no longer a member of the coaching staff. Until then Markakis' ceiling keeps getting lower and lower...

We've observed about a year and a half of Markakis' play now and a few obsevations are coming into view on the abilities of the rightfielder. His advancement at the plate has been a little slower than I had hoped, he hits the ball on the ground an awful lot and strikes out in clutch situations more than would be preferred, but does show glimpses[.270 BA leads in RBI]. As an outfielder, he's stellar. To summize-I guess I'm a little dissappointed at his hitting approach, but he is still young.

We've observed about a year and a half of Markakis' play now and a few obsevations are coming into view on the abilities of the rightfielder. His advancement at the plate has been a little slower than I had hoped, he hits the ball on the ground an awful lot and strikes out in clutch situations more than would be preferred, but does show glimpses[.270 BA leads in RBI]. As an outfielder, he's stellar. To summize-I guess I'm a little dissappointed at his hitting approach, but he is still young.

I am just a tad bit more optimistic - he as two attributes you can't coach - strong outfield arm and decent speed. He as a nice swing -- so I think he is going to be a three tool player; run, hit and throw

Nick leads in RBI because he's had the most chances. A lot of his RBI's have come on ground outs, too, I've noticed.

Nick just flat out does not belong in the three hole at this point in his career. The numbers say he doesn't hit as well there. Maybe that's just a coincidence but he's had most of his success in the two hole and should bat there for a week or two to see what happens.

Nick leads in RBI because he's had the most chances. A lot of his RBI's have come on ground outs, too, I've noticed.

Nick just flat out does not belong in the three hole at this point in his career. The numbers say he doesn't hit as well there. Maybe that's just a coincidence but he's had most of his success in the two hole and should bat there for a week or two to see what happens.

I agree, he belongs in the two hole...eventually he might settle into the 3 spot, but not now.

Surprised Trembley isn't putting him in there at the two spot.

He cannot catch up to a good heater. Late every time.

I've noticed this too. Last year we read reports that he was cheating to catch up to fastballs. This year we hear other teams say he's a great breaking ball hitter. Maybe that's because he can't hit a good fastball? I'm starting to wonder if he really doesn't have very good bat speed.

Lately I've noticed he doesn't appear to picking up the pitch early enough. Probably just a slump. Dempsey said earlier this year that he seems to do better in non-pressure situations which may hold some truth as well. He's holding his own, second year hitting in the 3 hole on a mediocre hitting team is certainly putting a lot on his shoulders. I'm pretty sure he'll be snapping out of this funk pretty soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are Nick's stats since this post went up...

11 games (today's still in progress)

hit in 9 of 11 with 7 mult-hit

18 for 42

5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 7 BB, 3 SB, 7 R, 11 RBI

.429/.510/.666/1.176

raised AVG by 19 points

raised OBP by 20 points

raised SLG by 24 points

Thanks Bryanman. Keep up the good work!

Markakis is 23, he's going to be fine.

He'll at least be a slightly above avg player if not a periodic all-star caliber player.

Whenevre Nick slumps he adjusts and comes out of it. The kid has guts and is very confident in his abilities.

Be patient with him Bryanman and that's coming from me, one of the most reactionary posters here.

Archived