Jim Palmer just threw Chris Davis under the bus

accinfo

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He works for the Orioles and they are not really pretending to be unbiased journalists. The Sun is definitely treating this like a story: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-jim-palmer-chris-davis-20180524-story.html

Reading the comments on this article and the ones on Masn blogs it seems fans are clearly ready for Buck and company to go.  I don't understand why upper management can't just fire Buck, the hitting coach, and the pitching coach and move on.  Let a new manager strike some fear into Chris Davis. Buck obviously doesn't care about winning games but a new manager will. 

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

My guess is they worked together but not to the extent that Coolbagh would have liked. Also possible Davis was not as receptive to changes that Coolbaugh wanted him to implement. Just guessing.  

Exactly, everybody parsing what people have said looking for absolutes... very few things in the world are absolutes.

They probably worked together some in the offseason. 

It probably wasn't enough, or productive enough to please Coolbaugh (maybe he took a lot of swings but didn't implement changes Coolbaugh suggested).

So when spring training starts and the sunny optimistic talk is that Davis worked hard to change things in the offseason, and Palmer quietly asks Coolbaugh if Davis really did work that hard... Coolbaugh said no.   Because he didn't to his satisfaction.

So Davis can say he worked with Coolbaugh in the offseason, Coolbaugh can dismiss that work as insufficient, Palmer can paraphrase what Coolbaugh said ... and nobody is actually lying outright.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As I would expect, but even the non-Orioles media is generally soft on the team.  WNST is the only outlet that is tough on the Orioles, but their reach is limited because no one can stand Nestor.  

The Sun writers, especially some of the columnists, still get on the Orioles a bit. 

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

So has anybody anywhere thought to contact Coolbaugh for clarification?  And then reported the result?

Front office probably told Coolbaugh to zip his mouth, or if asked tell the media he did work with Davis in the off season and the conversation with Palmer was a miscommunication.  

Meoli from the Sun:

Scott Coolbaugh, for his part, said he worked with Chris Davis three times total in person, and most of their conversations centered around being more aggressive. Doesn’t take issue with what was said. Believes an adjustment and self-assessment is the way forward.

Chris Davis also said that it’s tough when things are going this bad to be compounded by such harsh criticism from two people he respects and trusts. But he knows it’s going badly and wipes the slate clean every day trying to fix it.

Chris Davis said, among other things, that he hasn’t spoken to either Jim Palmer or Scott Coolbaugh. Said he and Coolbaugh hit whenever they were both in Texas, three times a week, and hit more than ever overall this offseason

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Roch defends the Orioles so much as he soft-pedals the negative stuff.     He’ll make some remark about how Davis needs to hit better and a tongue in cheek comment about how some middling contact is progress compared to striking out.   But he won’t come out and say, this guy isn’t a major league hitter these days and he needs to be benched. And he won’t ask a tough question.  In part it’s because he’s employed by MASN, but I also don’t think that’s his nature or his philosophy.  

Really . I have seen him call out other teams and umpires and other players .

Archived