Jim Palmer just threw Chris Davis under the bus

accinfo

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Hanley Ramirez was just DFA’d

Could we grab him with Boston paying his 22 mill a year, while we cut Davis and pay his 23 million a year? Essentially paying for Davis but playing Hanley? ?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, weams said:

No He Won’t. 

Which part of that statement?   I get the feeling if he doesn't turn himself around by the end of the season, he will be released at some point.   Of course, that would all depend on what moves we've made.

2 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Could we grab him with Boston paying his 22 mill a year, while we cut Davis and pay his 23 million a year? Essentially paying for Davis but playing Hanley? ?

The 700 OPS would be a clear upgrade, but the Orioles are in rebuild mode no reason to claim him.

53 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The 700 OPS would be a clear upgrade, but the Orioles are in rebuild mode no reason to claim him.

What exactly have the Orioles done to make you say they're in rebuild mode?  Now, if you say they SHOULD be in rebuild mode, you'll get no argument from anyone on here, but I don't think the Orioles realize they need a rebuild. 

Just now, Dipper9 said:

What exactly have the Orioles done to make you say they're in rebuild mode?  Now, if you say they SHOULD be in rebuild mode, you'll get no argument from anyone on here, but I don't think the Orioles realize they need a rebuild. 

Yup, Dan still think we're going to win the pennant this year. 

10 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Correct, I should have stated the Orioles should be in rebuild mode.  

4 hours ago, atomic said:

For all that were signing for Davis I am not sure what you are upset about he was awful in 2014.  You knew what you were getting. You got it.  Stop dreaming about him retiring or the Orioles releasing him.  The current management will play him into the ground because they recommended signing him.  They can't say whoops sorry about my 140 million dollar mistake.   Buck has probably convinced himself that playing Davis in the 5th spot is going to help him get out of his "slump".

Davis is not very bright guy as he actually believe other teams want him to bunt.  So he probably can't grasp that he needs to change.  Even in his best days he was striking out because he was going for home runs with two strikes in situations where just getting on base would help the team.  This is what you wanted live with it. 

What is the point of a post like this? 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:26 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think there's any amount of coaching that can get him where he needs to be.  The bat looks slow.  

Well I am not an astute analyst regarding the art of hitting. But I’d start with what we tell kids in Tball.  Keep your eye on the ball son. 

See...little steps. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

Hanley Ramirez was just DFA’d

The Red Sox are not afraid to eat money when a contract doesn’t pan out.   

Ramirez - owed $15 mm

Sandoval - owed $50 mm

Castillo - in the minors “earning” his $72 mm

Meanwhile, we can’t bring ourselves to release Chris Tillman.

40 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

What is the point of a post like this? 

The point is all these people saying he should retire or the Orioles should buy him out were saying we should sign him.  He is signed to a 7 year contract he will get paid for 7 years. That is how it works. That is why guys want  7 year contracts. So if they become terrible they still get paid. Otherwise they would sign 1 year contracts.  

And the Orioles aren't buying out anyone.  They kept Jiminez to the last day. They wouldn't DFA Tillman and his contract is just over 2 million left.  They traded picks to get rid of Matusz and Webb to save a couple of million instead of just DFAing them.  

He is going to be here for the long hall just get used to it.  The only guy I can remember them getting rid of who had significant salary was that drunk from Aruba who the team fought paying.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was not in favor of the Davis deal.   But let’s be clear, Davis is WAY worse now that he was in 2014, which was an outlier year to that point in his Orioles career.

2014: .196/.300/.404, 26 HR 72 RBI, 1.7 rWAR

2016: .231/.332/.459, 38 HR, 84 RBI, 3.3 rWAR

2017: .215/.309/.423, 26 HR, 61 RBI, -0.1 rWAR

2018: .154/.240/.250, 4 HR, 13 RBI, -1.4 rWAR

By the way, his dWAR in these years goes: 0.4, -0.2, -1.3, -0.4 (less than 1/3 through the season).

Those 2014 stars are horrible for a first baseman I don't care what WAR says and they are similar to his 2010 and 2011 numbers.  There is a reason the Rangers were willing to give up a 25 year old Davis for a 36 year old reliever.  

On 5/24/2018 at 10:51 AM, Frobby said:

I guess I don’t get it.   Why would Buck lie about something like that?   Yes, I believe him.   And Roch is reporting today that Trumbo had swelling in his knee.  

What exactly is the alternative explanation?    That Davis was mad that Trumbo tried to hold onto him as he was reaching into the dugout, so Buck benched Trumbo after he went 4-for-4 and then lied about his health to cover up the real reason?    Sorry, but that’s tIn foil hat territory to me.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:53 AM, TouchemAll said:

The fact that Trumbo when asked about not being in the lineup and gave the response of go ask Buck was all I needed. JMHO

You really don't think Roch gives anything more then then company line right?

On 5/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Why would:

1. Trumbo say what he did if the injury was legitimate.
  2. Buck leave Trumbo in the game to play defense if he was injured
  3. No one noticed that Trumbo looked hurt when attempting that play.

I think it is much more likely Buck has some motivation for benching Trumbo for a game and used the knee as an excuse.

So, Trumbo is having an MRI on his knee today, according to Roch. All part of the cover up conspiracy?

Tin.  Foil.   Hat.

Archived