The Athletic: Buck Showalter's Job No Longer Secure

Rene88

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Well, you are correct a GM is what is needed....but we kinda need one now...for the rebuild.  It would be a nice start

Yes...Yes...Yes

I don't think it will be easy to interview all the candidates one might want to during the season.

And if they do manage to bring in someone from outside, they won't be able to easily hire staff.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't matter.

IMO, Buck's done enough goodwill for this franchise to go out when he wants this year.  I've said it a million times, firing him now and replacing him with an interim manager doesn't move the needle.

The bigger problems are upstairs.  Brady, the Angelos'.  We can banter back and forth on here all day along about the manager, nothing matters while Angelos is owner and Brady is in a power position.   

Until Peter Angelos is out and his sons prove that they're different...or his sons are gone, too....and Brady is gone....none of this matters.  Actually, I think the Manny trade return doesn't matter, the Jones trade return doesn't matter...none of it matters until the FO and ownership is completely overhauled and has a defined plan in place with a new, regime of smart baseball people.

100%.

It's the dark, ominous cloud under which we will have to live for a long, long time. We can have little victories here and there, maybe even once in a few decades win the division... but barring something unforeseen we will likely be owned by the Angelos family for a long time.

The boys will have to prove to many that they are in fact different than their father. My expectations are not high.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it will be easy to interview all the candidates one might want to during the season.

Ha ha ha....hell Corn, the interview process isn't the difficult part anyway.  It's deciding to have a GM a budget and a plan.  But yeah in a normal situation off season might be better.  It really is too bad we didn't have any way of knowing that this might come up.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Manager would be a demotion from where he is now.

Yeah, but maybe its what he wants, and I could see him having similar influence upstairs to what he has now.  He already alluded to letting others handle majority of the transactions.  Who knows.  My guess it will be an interim from within the organization, or someone close to it.  For fun, I say they just let Rick Dempsy finish out the year.

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

100%.

It's the dark, ominous cloud under which we will have to live for a long, long time. We can have little victories here and there, maybe even once in a few decades win the division... but barring something unforeseen we will likely be owned by the Angelos family for a long time.

The boys will have to prove to many that they are in fact different than their father. My expectations are not high.

Yep.  

My expectations for them aren't high, either.

But you're right, the best we can hope for is a little spurt like we had from 2012-2017.  It's funny, looking back on it now I think those teams were a product of the Yanks/Sox having down years just as much as anything else.  

We can't ever compete with them head to head with the way they are both trending now.  Both have unlimited payrolls and have built correctly.  The Orioles don't.  

I honestly don't care who the next manager is.  I'm sure I'll have an opinion, but it could be Tony LaRussa, it could be someone that's never managed a game before in his life and it won't matter.   Next batting coach, pitching coach, whatever.  I'll be excited to see who we get back for Manny if we end up trading him.  But, IMO, none of it really matters with the current ownership, heirs, and Brady in place.

17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Thought: Is Brady the new manager?  He can't stay away from the field anyway, maybe he's been gunning for Buck the whole time and not the GM spot.

Everything we've heard about Brady is he doesn't want the day to day responsibility. He basically wants to freelance and do whatever he wants with little to no accountability. If I'm in his shoes, I wouldn't disrupt the sweet gig he's got going on. Having said that, when DD is ousted at the end of the year, I think he'll accept co-GM role where they bring in a Jim Duquette to his Mike Flanagan.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is absolutely amazing given that some men spend decades managing in the minors just for the chance to manage in the majors.  And yet for Brady, manager would be an actual demotion from the position he is currently in.  I still would love to know, how exactly did his resume and experience qualify him for whatever the hell job he has now?  Or is there a premium value placed on mystical power blips during the 1990s when it comes to interviewing for executive positions?  I would also love to know the collective WAR (or any stat you like) of all of the guys that Brady advocated for signing....just to see how well he has done since assuming his "role."  We could calculate a ratio: WAR since Brady pushed for signing divided by salary paid to said player. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Who wants to manage this ridiculous tire fire? 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll do it.

So will many other people.

It's still one of thirty.

“The sargent came over, pinned a medal on me
Sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."”

It’s about time someone from The Group W Bench was put in charge. 

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

“The sargent came over, pinned a medal on me
Sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."”

It’s about time someone from The Group W Bench was put in charge. 

Only if he has rehabilitated himself.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which is frickin’ amazing to me. What has he done to *earn* this? Brady Anderson, a strength, nutrition and conditioning coach / advisor has become this important in his opinions to ownership. Just unreal. If this is the way the world works (the world the Orioles live in), Richie Bancels should have taken over this regime long ago. 

Seems to me he has perfected sycophancy to an art form. 

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Which is frickin’ amazing to me. What has he done to *earn* this? Brady Anderson, a strength, nutrition and conditioning coach / advisor has become this important in his opinions to ownership. Just unreal. If this is the way the world works (the world the Orioles live in), Richie Bancels should have taken over this regime long ago. 

Seems to me he has perfected sycophancy to an art form. 

Brady hit 50 homers in one season. If you do that for the Orioles you are set for life.  One day Davis will be GM. 

Archived