The Athletic: Buck Showalter's Job No Longer Secure

Rene88

7 hours ago, section18 said:

Matheny gets let go tonight with a 47-46 record.

What have we here?  A significant change mid-season for a team not meeting expectations.  Shocking.  If 47-46 gets your manager fired, surely 27-69 would result in something.  Maybe not.

Matheny's .555 winning percentage in 6+ seasons with the Cardinals is pretty damn good.  His teams also won 21 playoff games and the 2013 NL Pennant.  In 8+ seasons, Buck's winning percentage with the Os is .504.  Playoff wins: 6. 

I guess the expectations and level of accountability are a wee bit higher in St. Louis than in Baltimore.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

What have we here?  A significant change mid-season for a team not meeting expectations.  Shocking.  If 47-46 gets your manager fired, surely 27-69 would result in something.  Maybe not.

Matheny's .555 winning percentage in 6+ seasons with the Cardinals is pretty damn good.  His teams also won 21 playoff games and the 2013 NL Pennant.  In 8+ seasons, Buck's winning percentage with the Os is .504.  Playoff wins: 6. 

I guess the expectations and level of accountability are a wee bit higher in St. Louis than in Baltimore.

Matheny allowed Norris to bully kids. Buck didn't. No expectations. Just decency. 

44 minutes ago, weams said:

Matheny allowed Norris to bully kids. Buck didn't. No expectations. Just decency. 

I had not heard that story, but I have to laugh that a pitcher with a career record of 67-86 and a 4.45 ERA is bullying anybody.  Imagine how mean he would be if he was actually good! 

That being said, I wonder if Matheny would have been fired if the Cardinals were 10 wins better at 57-36.  I suspect not.  At the end of the day, it is always about wins.  They even fired two hitting coaches.  I guess the fans are getting a little restless, with that last world series trophy collecting dust after almost 7 whole years!

2 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I had not heard that story, but I have to laugh that a pitcher with a career record of 67-86 and a 4.45 ERA is bullying anybody.  Imagine how mean he would be if he was actually good! 

That being said, I wonder if Matheny would have been fired if the Cardinals were 10 wins better at 57-36.  I suspect not.  At the end of the day, it is always about wins.  They even fired two hitting coaches.  I guess the fans are getting a little restless, with that last world series trophy collecting dust after almost 7 whole years!

It was Bud. Bullying is not in vogue. 

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

Bucks record with the Orioles is being crushed by THIS season. Coming into this year he was nearly 50 games over .500. That’s how bad this year has been. Let’s not make it out like he’s been some underperforming manager his whole time in Baltimore. 

Whatever happened to "In Buck We Trust" which was the mantra of many here that are now calling for his firing. I like Buck. It appears that he was heavily involved in the community, was appreciative of the Oriole Way in the good old days and joined knowing he was going to be a MAJOR part of decision making. As a manager, I never saw anything special, straight by the book, rarely trying anything unique, loyal to players, loved the HR. Saying that, what good is hiring an interim manager?? To do what?? Change things that will change again when a new manager is hired? We are a very punitive society, let's show we are tough by firing a man that served with decency the majority of his time here. Let the man decide..to resign or not renewing his contract. Firing is only for PR...and does nothing IMO.

It will be a disgrace if this management team does not allow Buck to gracefully bow out at the end of the season.

With that being said I am not for bumping him up to a front office position.  New manager should not have former one looking over shoulder from the front office.

4 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-cardinals-fired-mike-matheny-104506554.html

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

Showalter needs to go. He is not blameless for this season.  We need to start to look for a new manager for 2019.  Why can't we fire him now like the Cardinals fired Pat Matheny.

I appreciate Buck, but I say he has to go too.  I want Dan to run the rebuild, by himself. At this point, I just let Buck finish the year though.  I respect what he did in his tenure and I'm fine with showing him the respect and letting him finish out the year.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, weams said:

Didn't Roger Clemens bully team mates and opponents all the time.  How come he wasn't cut?  Lou Pinella always bullied his players when he was manager, but he seems to have had a long career. 

Archived