Sisco optioned to Norfolk

SteveA

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t care if he is The Godfather to Colby’s children. Even Buck knows Colby is not a part of the future here.  

What they are doing now is basically buying time until they are ready to bring the kids up and that may coincide with the trade deadline. 

Buck might also know he isn't part of the future.  You also are assuming Buck is behaving logically. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I said he should started at AAA and he wasn’t ready but everyone thought he was the next AL All-Star starting catcher.

Having said that, not really sure what sending him down now does...

Gotta hand it to you Rene - you are the absolute king of the Straw Man argument.

If the team is actually playing service clock games here - that's fine, whatever. I don't think it's that critical, but in a lost season why not.

I've been slightly disappointed by the bat, mostly by the obscenely high strikeout rate, but he needs to play.  He's always had an adjustment period as he's climbed the ladder.  Buck's absolute refusal to start him against lefties meant that he rare played in more then 2 games in a row.  He was on pace to start just 76 games.  If sending him AAA gets him more consistent ABs to get the bat going again, fine.

Regarding defense - I tend to think there's a lot of confirmation bias on minor league defensive reports, so I tend to not put a ton of stock into them.  The arm is not the best but otherwise he looked fine (and even good at times) defensively.  But whatever, it is very clear at this point that Buck does not actually value defense as he says he does.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone being a scratch and that being followed by a demotion.

Have to wonder if something that isn't performance related is involved.

Not that I want to invent something, just the way my mind works.

I agree, you have to wonder. Maybe it is his 340 OBP that earned him the demotion. The O's hate high OBP players. 

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mancini paid his dues and earned his way up. Well so has Stewart and it should be his turn now. Let Mancini figure things out in AAA for a month or so. 

IMO it is time for Buck and coaches to be held accountable. Buck is the one who insisted on playing Davis and batting him 4-6 for much of the year. Then all these other guys are under-performing. The blame must go to the coaches. It is no coincidence that Mancini, Sisco, & Schoop are playing poorly. You tolerate Davis for this long and Jones terrible defense in CF then what "environment" do you think you are cultivating?

16 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I agree, you have to wonder. Maybe it is his 340 OBP that earned him the demotion. The O's hate high OBP players. 

Sisco hadn't been hitting well of yet, either.

The unexpected demotion yesterday of catcher Chance Sisco to Triple-A Norfolk shouldn’t be viewed as a sign that the Orioles have given up on him or that he’s no longer regarded as one of the more promising young players in the organization.

Sisco wasn’t producing at the plate, which hardly made him unique on the roster. But he’s been having some issues throwing that more easily can be resolved in the minors.

Send him down, settle him down and try again.

Sisco leaves as the team leader in hit by pitches with 10, tying him for second in the majors behind the Rays’ C.J. Cron (13). He was drilled on the buttocks Friday night by the Marlins’ José Ureña in his last start with the Orioles.

I think the O's have handled Sisco really poorly this year. Either he should have made the team out of ST and the team should be willing to let him learn on the job under the guidance of Jim Russell OR he should have stayed in the minors until he was really ready. 

I haven't seen anything from Sisco that is alarming to me. He's going through the growing pains of a rookie catcher who isn't that great defensively and needs time to adjust to ML pitching. I think he's going to be a solid player. But this has been handled poorly. Hopefully, Sisco doesn't let it bother him. Get down to Norfolk and get better. 

As for Buck, I think he's sending Sisco to the minors to make a point. I think there's something he doesn't quite like -- either his defense or his personality. I think this has nothing to do with Sisco's service time. The O's are that forward thinking. 

1 hour ago, jtschrei said:

I think the O's have handled Sisco really poorly this year. Either he should have made the team out of ST and the team should be willing to let him learn on the job under the guidance of Jim Russell OR he should have stayed in the minors until he was really ready. 

I haven't seen anything from Sisco that is alarming to me. He's going through the growing pains of a rookie catcher who isn't that great defensively and needs time to adjust to ML pitching. I think he's going to be a solid player. But this has been handled poorly. Hopefully, Sisco doesn't let it bother him. Get down to Norfolk and get better. 

As for Buck, I think he's sending Sisco to the minors to make a point. I think there's something he doesn't quite like -- either his defense or his personality. I think this has nothing to do with Sisco's service time. The O's are that forward thinking. 

I dont think Buck gives one rats ass about service time, that what GMs and owners worry about.

So you think Roch just made his comment about throwing issues out of thin air? Im am sure, he heard that through his team sources. But, thats just an opinion.

Sisco needs more seasoning behind the plate, and playing every day in AAA, will give him that.

4 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Buck is the one who insisted on playing Davis and batting him 4-6 for much of the year. Then all these other guys are under-performing. The blame must go to the coaches. It is no coincidence that Mancini, Sisco, & Schoop are playing poorly. You tolerate Davis for this long and Jones terrible defense in CF then what "environment" do you think you are cultivating?

And don't forget Buck's kind of ridiculous idea to bat Davis in the leadoff spot for a while at the beginning of the year.

Archived