A lot of player movement coming

wildcard

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Brady is working with him as well.  Maybe Brady can become our hitting coach/GM. 

On top of his resounding success as a pitching coach and advocate, e.g. TIllman and Wright.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance Rasmus can play himself into a trade piece?  Has little over a month to prove he has value.  If he can play + Defense and hit with a little bit of pop, someone might want him. Wouldn't get much, maybe something.

40 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Any chance Rasmus can play himself into a trade piece?  Has little over a month to prove he has value.  If he can play + Defense and hit with a little bit of pop, someone might want him. Wouldn't get much, maybe something.

Any team in MLB can have Seth Smith for free the minimum salary, let's say $500K pro-rated.

So he would have to do well enough to convince a team he is worth MORE than $3M pro-rated, plus whatever the team would give us.   You think any team will believe that Rasmus is worth 6 times Seth Smith plus the value of a prospect?   Seems unlikely to me.

26 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Any team in MLB can have Seth Smith for free the minimum salary, let's say $500K pro-rated.

So he would have to do well enough to convince a team he is worth MORE than $3M pro-rated, plus whatever the team would give us.   You think any team will believe that Rasmus is worth 6 times Seth Smith plus the value of a prospect?   Seems unlikely to me.

Good point.  I figured Rasmus offers the defense Smith lacked.  I didn't realize Smith was without a job. 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

He shouldn't even be on the team Buck and or Brady. 

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is a ridiculous reason not to trade Manny now if there is a worthy offer on the table.  No one is going to care five years from now that Manny was the Orioles all star representative in 2018.

If Manny shatters his wrist on a HBP or tears his ACL, you get nothing for him.

Ty Wigginton was the Orioles lone all star one year.  I think the organization can survive with Jones or Bundy being the 2018 all star representative.  

Well, sure it's stupid and short-sighted to be affected by a desire to see Manny in an Oriole uniform for the All-Star game, but is that a reason to believe it's not slowing down the trade process?  Rhetorical question.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Well, sure it's stupid and short-sighted to be affected by a desire to see Manny in an Oriole uniform for the All-Star game, but is that a reason to believe it's not slowing down the trade process?  Rhetorical question.

Honestly, I think that the impending deadline forces levels of conversation to increase.   Year after year, there are probably  1 to 3 significant June deals, maybe 1 to 3 significant 1st-half-of-July deals, and well over a dozen late July deals.   There is probably a lot of preliminary groundwork laid at this time of year, but no one wants to jump for a deal and find out they could have done better if they had waited.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Honestly, I think that the impending deadline forces levels of conversation to increase.   Year after year, there are probably  1 to 3 significant June deals, maybe 1 to 3 significant 1st-half-of-July deals, and well over a dozen late July deals.   There is probably a lot of preliminary groundwork laid at this time of year, but no one wants to jump for a deal and find out they could have done better if they had waited.

That makes sense if you're trading a guy who would fill a role for a contender (or team that thinks it's a contender) , especially if a gap has cropped up because of injury or an unexpected bad performance -- like if someone can really use Adam Jones in RF or O'Day to set up.

I'm not sure this reasoning applies when you're trying to to trade an exceptional talent like Machado. His trade value might be proportional to the number of games you have him for.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

That makes sense if you're trading a guy who would fill a role for a contender (or team that thinks it's a contender) , especially if a gap has cropped up because of injury or an unexpected bad performance -- like if someone can really use Adam Jones in RF or O'Day to set up.

I'm not sure this reasoning applies when you're trying to to trade an exceptional talent like Machado. His trade value might be proportional to the number of games you have him for.

So then why do most really talented guys go close to July 31?   Because they simply DO.   Most every year.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So then why do most really talented guys go close to July 31?   Because they simply DO.   Most every year.

I don't think there are a lot of guys with Machado's value who are traded on a mid-year rental by a team that is out of contention by May and has no intention of re-signing him, but maybe there have been and I'm just not thinking of them. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't think there are a lot of guys with Machado's value who are traded on a mid-year rental by a team that is out of contention by May and has no intention of re-signing him, but maybe there have been and I'm just not thinking of them. 

Just checked some big names in some of the bigger deadline deals in the last 20 some years:

Randy Johnson traded July 31

Aroldis Chapman July 25

Mark Teixiera July 29 and July 31

Sabathia to Brewrs July 7 -- there's an early one

Manny Ramirez July 31

Andrew Miller July  31 and July 31

Yeonis Cespedes July 31

Fred McGriff July 18 and July 27

Curt Schilling July 26

Mike Boddicker July 30

Bartolo Colon from Expos to Cleveland -- June 27 -- another early one

You can say Manny is better than all these guys, or the situation is unique.   But the bottom line is that trade talks have momentum.   The selling team doesn't have leverage until they've gotten offers from all possible buyers, and also the existence of the deadline puts additional pressure on buyers to come up with their best offer.   You can talk about how it should be this or that, but historically it hasn't been.   The vast majority of the deals, even for stars, get done in teh last two weeks of July.   Maybe Manny will be different, and yes, any in-season deal has the risk of waiting leading to injury.   But history shows that very few deals get made before the last two weeks of July.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I very much doubt the\at Singleton is the only one that has picked up that he hasn't adjusted.  The whole league knows it.

I just don’t see it as “not adjusting”.  I think he has experienced a change in his own swing mechanics that have converted him from someone who was the top homerun producer in baseball into Geronimo Gil.   This is not a matter of figuring out what the pitchers are doing and “adjusting”...this is a career ending catastrophic meltdown of ability that is irreparable, imho. 

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Doesn't matter that Ken is a Yankee now. What he says makes sense. CD couldn't hit little league pitching now. 

Yes, well there came a time when Ken too could no longer perform...was that a matter of him “not adjusting”?  no, it was, in his case as with many, aging that changed his power and bat speed.  With Davis, it is not aging, but it could be some other factor tnat has ruined his coordination, his eye hand processing, his mechanics...whatever it is, it has eliminated  his power stroke  for good, in my view.   Pitchers “figuring him out” had nothing to do with it.  They throw him just as many hittable pitches now as they did then (probably more because they are increasingly finding that it doesn’t matter if you make a mistake, he still can’t hit it).

If Singleton had said it was Davis having a major meltdown in his stroke and not functioning as a power hitter, fine..but he suggests subtly that it is just a matter of “not adjusting” to what pitchers are doing ..and I don’t agree with that assessment at all. 

On 6/18/2018 at 4:45 AM, wildcard said:

Player movement in the next few days: (My best guess)

Rasmus rehab end on June 20th.  The O's will be required to activate him or DFA him.   Since he is on the 60 day DL it will cost someone a 40 man roster spot to activated him

Beckham's 60 day DL stint reaches the 60 day mark on June 23rd.  He is on rehab.  Its been reported that he will be activated on the 23rd though he is not hitting well yet.   The O's don't seem to care about whether he is hitting on rehab but I always think they should.   We will have to wait and see what happens.  He will cost someone a 40 man roster spot when activated.

There are several 40 man roster spots that can be opened pretty easily

1) Bleier can be put on the 60 day DL

2) Tillman can be put on the 60 day DL.  He last played on May 10th which means he could not come back until July 9th.  He can be are rehab for 30 day and he has not started him rehab assignment yet.

3) Sardinas can be placed on the 60 day DL.  He last played in the majors on April 28th.  He is eligible to come off on June 27th.   He hasn't started his rehab games for the ankle injury yet. 

4) Pedro Alvarez can be DFA'd.  When Beckham is activated he will take over 3rd Base and push Valencia to DH/1B/bench duty.   He makes Pedro vulnerable.

Note:  Chris Lee and Vielma are on the Norfolk DL and can not be DFA'd until they comes off. The O's don't want to put them on the O's DL because they will have to be paid a major league salary.

There should be room with these moves to activate Rasmus and Beckham and to call up Stewart.

Caleb Joseph will be recalled on Tuesday since Sisco was optioned.  Sisco was optioned because he is ill and the O's need two active catchers.  If they had DL'd Sisco he would have not been eligible to come back for 10 days. But by optioning him the O's can DL someone else and bring him back earlier.   Caleb is hitting for over a 900 OPS in June at Norfolk.   Sisco has a 340 OBP and his 16 RBI are pretty good for 119 at bats.   Caleb/Sisco is probably the O's strongest hitting catcher pair as soon as Sisco is healthy and can be activated.

Cashner is due to come off the 10 day DL and pitch on June 20th.  That will bring the pitching staff back to 12 and cost a position player his 25 man roster spot.

So to recap:

June 17th/19th:  Sisco down;  Caleb up

June 20th: Cashner and Rasmus up;    My guess Mancini or Rickard optioned; Alvarez DFA'd.

June 23rd: Beckham up;   My guess Corban Joseph optioned; Bleier  put on the 60 day DL

Sometime soon:  Stewart up;   My guess Mancini or Rickard optioned; Sardinas put on the 60 day DL

That makes the outfield Stewart/Jones/ Rasmus and Gentry

The  Infield Beckham/ Manny/ Schoop/ Valencia or Davis  at 1B

Trumbo DH

Caleb/Wynns catching until they find a way to bring Sisco back.  Then Wynns will be optioned.

A lot of who is called up and sent down is my best guess.

Well, I was only one day off on the DFA of Alvarez but I didn't see them bringing up Wilkerson after only 62 at bats at AAA.  They were 62 very good at bats though.

Tomorrow Cashner has to be activated because he has pitching tomorrow night.   And I have them activating Rasmus.  That is not as certain.  They could wait a few days but we will see.

I have either Rickard or Mancini being option.  Probably Rickard since Mancini had a big Sunday.    And the other spot is probably Corban being sent to Norfolk.  Overall that is a promotion for Corban because he was a Bowie just a few days ago.

That would mean the O's go back to a 12 man pitching staff and a 4 man bench.

We will see.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Well, I was only one day off on the DFA of Alvarez but I didn't see them bringing up Wilkerson after only 62 at bats at AAA.  They were 62 very good at bats though.

Tomorrow Cashner has to be activated because he has pitching tomorrow night.   And I have them activating Rasmus.  That is not as certain.  They could wait a few days but we will see.

I have either Rickard or Mancini being option.  Probably Rickard since Mancini had a big Sunday.    And the other spot is probably Corban being sent to Norfolk.  Overall that is a promotion for Corban because he was a Bowie just a few days ago.

That would mean the O's go back to a 12 man pitching staff and a 4 man bench.

We will see.

With the next 6 games being against NL teams, a pitcher might go for Cashner and then Rickard/Cor. Joseph (with Bleier going on 60) or Gentry/Peterson DFA for Beckham/Rasmus. Especially since reports are now that Davis isn't with the team and won't be there tomorrow either.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

With the next 6 games being against NL teams, a pitcher might go for Cashner and then Rickard/Cor. Joseph (with Bleier going on 60) or Gentry/Peterson DFA for Beckham/Rasmus. Especially since reports are now that Davis isn't with the team and won't be there tomorrow either.

Davis was shown eating seeds a few minutes ago but in sweatshirt top

Archived