Olney and Ravech: O's are hemorrhaging Machado's trade value

Greg Pappas

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/22/2018 at 6:22 PM, Rene88 said:

This org is a complete joke and mlb should force a sale. The fans deserve better than this BS. I apologize for the language but tired of such incompetence.

The owner is currently suing MLB.  You don't think they would get him gone if they had a way handy?

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't even factor in the 3+ other years or the other pieces that would have to change hands.  Of course the salary shed by trading Machado also has worth.

We do agree that Angelos isn't going to agree to a 1-1 deal right?

Two months of Machado isn't worth a top tier guy + the numbers needed to make Peter happy, not unless a team really does get desperate and overpays.

you’re right it’s not.  The top 5 prospects (70-75 FV guys) are worth closer to 80-100 million in surplus value.  The 6-30 guys are usually where you get prospects with surplus value in the 30-50 million range.  The guys who are probably MLB regulars but with some breakout potential.

MLBTR

Padres have at least checked in with the Orioles on star infielder Manny Machado. That connection might make greater sense if the Padres were a more plausible contender or, at least, if Machado was not slated to reach free agency at season’s end. As it stands, it’s tough to fathom the Friars unloading young talent in an attempt to chase the postseason this year. Doing so in earnest, in all likelihood, would mean adding multiple other pieces as well. It could still make sense, though, for the Padres to get a gauge on Baltimore’s situation. The Pads could face some 40-man pressures this winter, so there could be an opportunity to function as a part of a three-team arrangement. If the club is really feeling bold, perhaps it could make an early strike for Machado with plans to flip him if a sudden run up the standings doesn’t ensue, though a mid-season gambit of that kind involving a rental player of Machado’s caliber would be sui generis.

I feel like a horrible person for saying this, but I’m not gonna shed any tears when Angelos croaks. He has run this team into the ground and made it hard for me to watch my team for most of my life. What is he, 89?

I’m totally going to hell, but human decency be damned.

Archived