I’d forgotten how bad it sucks to have a lousy bullpen

Frobby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well, to be fair, they are pretty creative.....

So is Buck. “Let’s see, we’re in Toronto and my best pitcher has pitched ONE INNING this past week. I’d better be careful. 

I’ll just use guys like I always have. Sure, some guys are pitching bad, but I know what they’re capable of. And they have that ‘want to’.” 

Argh

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So is Buck. “Let’s see, we’re in Toronto and my best pitcher has pitched ONE INNING this past week. I’d better be careful. 

I’ll just use guys like I always have. Sure, some guys are pitching bad, but I know what they’re capable of. And they have that ‘want to’.” 

Argh

As I said in another thread, I think Buck is in “test the young reliever” mode.    If that game had mattered I think he would have brought in Britton rather than Scott.   But who knows.

Well, Brach and Scott surely deserve their share of blame for what happened in the eighth inning today.

Still, with better defense, Brach might have gotten out of the inning with the Orioles still in the lead and Scott might not have had to pitch at all.

Most of us probably recall Saturday, when three unearned runs scored because the Orioles failed to get a force out at second base on a slow chopper back to the pitcher.  The point was made, over and over again, that Beckham needed to forget about trying for a double play and MAKE SURE TO GET ONE OUT at second.

Today, with one out and a runner on first in the last of the eighth, Orioles still leading 4-3, the batter hit a sharp ground ball right to Mancini, just off the first base bag.  As sharply as the ball was hit, it seemed as though there should have been a good chance for the Orioles to turn am inning-ending 3-6-3 double play.  First basemen practice this play every day in spring training.  It's certainly not impossible to do.

However, Mancini, perhaps thinking about yesterday's hideous example, MADE SURE TO GET ONE OUT and stepped on first, allowing the runner to advance to second without a throw.

And then Scott came in and served up the game-winning two-run homer to Solarte.

I know, if Mancini had thrown to second, he might have hit the runner with the throw and the Orioles might not have gotten anybody out and we would have been reminded, once again, how important it is to MAKE SURE TO GET ONE OUT.

Then again, he might have turned the double play and the Orioles might have carried a one-run lead into the ninth.

Seems like no matter what they do, it turns out wrong for the Orioles.

Archived