Free agent market what if?

sevastras

Looking back at last years free agent market and how many players didn’t get signed or how under valued the players were, my question is:

what if we are wrong and everyone isn’t saving money last year for this year? What if Manny isn’t 10/300 or 35 a year? What would the Os spend to resign him? 20 a year? 22 a year? This isn’t hopeful thinking, this is what is the max spend and could the market be soft coming into mannys free agency?  This is a real possibility. 

I think teams are starting to shy away from the big money contract.  The Yanks don't need Manny, so that takes them out of the market and limits the bids, thus lowering the bids.  I don't think the Orioles have any shot of keeping him (nor do I think we should) but I don't see him getting anywhere near 300 million. 

I think we are heading into a Bear market when it comes to paying MLB FA's.  Owner's wised up on long term contracts after they saw the Kemps, Howards, Sandovals, Zitos, Crawfords, Pujols, Shields, Reyes, Davis, etc. end up being a black hole in their pockets.  I think we will still see high yearly salaries, but 3-4 year contracts will be the max years we see for most elite FA's.

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think we are heading into a Bear market when it comes to paying MLB FA's.  Owner's wised up on long term contracts after they saw the Kemps, Howards, Sandovals, Zitos, Crawfords, Pujols, Shields, Reyes, Davis, etc. end up being a black hole in their pockets.  I think we will still see high yearly salaries, but 3-4 year contracts will be the max years we see for most elite FA's.

I agree.  Plus as far as Manny is concerned, his move to shortstop has not worked out the way he thought it would, and he has shown spots of laziness, both of which could be red flags for potential suitors.  His strength has essentially become his bat, and I don't think his offense alone is enough to warrant anywhere near 30 million per year.  

But, as C3PO says, "I have been known to be wrong, from time to time."

40 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I think teams are starting to shy away from the big money contract.  The Yanks don't need Manny, so that takes them out of the market and limits the bids, thus lowering the bids.  I don't think the Orioles have any shot of keeping him (nor do I think we should) but I don't see him getting anywhere near 300 million. 

I agree the Yanks, Red Sox, and Dodgers appear to be out based on their roster. I also assume no one is giving him that big money unless he is at 3B. So I think the Phillies will sign him for something like 10/260

10 hours ago, sevastras said:

Looking back at last years free agent market and how many players didn’t get signed or how under valued the players were, my question is:

what if we are wrong and everyone isn’t saving money last year for this year? What if Manny isn’t 10/300 or 35 a year? What would the Os spend to resign him? 20 a year? 22 a year? This isn’t hopeful thinking, this is what is the max spend and could the market be soft coming into mannys free agency?  This is a real possibility. 

Sorry but I wouldn't resign him. I really think he wants FA. 

3 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I agree the Yanks, Red Sox, and Dodgers appear to be out based on their roster. I also assume no one is giving him that big money unless he is at 3B. So I think the Phillies will sign him for something like 10/260

I doubt he gets 10 years.  Maybe 6 years at 25 million a year. So 150 million total.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I doubt he gets 10 years.  Maybe 6 years at 25 million a year. So 150 million total.

I think this close.  I think with Correa and Lindor coming up though that the MLBPA will really push him to break a record.  They want to see over $200 million.

Archived