TT: Orioles get Haul for Machado

Tony-OH

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

IYO would VVM qualify as a "star"?

Yeah, he’s like Yusniel Diaz with more defensive value and speed, but also many more questions about his hit and power tools. So if he really hits and has average power he’d profile really really well in CF. That’s far from a guarantee though. So higher ceiling but lower floor and just more risk in general, he’d be a top 100 prospect pretty quick though if he shows he can hit against pro pitching.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:09 AM, Frobby said:

Butler was also highly regarded, but got hurt his first year with us and that was the end of him.   

IRC, Butler was injured before the trade and we knew it when we traded for him.  Considered the risk worth it.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:45 AM, OrioleDog said:

I dunno...as bright as Bedard burned for a bit, I do think Manny is at least twice the player he was, and I am onboard with triple.

In 2008-2009, Bedard only produced 3 rWAR total for Seattle, and missed half the season both times, before he went whole hog and missed all of 2010.  3 rWAR is probably a good over/under for what Manny will give the Dodgers this year.

Right but that output Bedard gave SEA is not what they traded for. LAD will get their money's worth.

15 hours ago, baltfan said:

If there is one thing that should be clear it is that if you can barrel the ball, power can be developed.  See, e.g. Altuve, Betts, and J. Ramirez. 

Not always because someguys swing path and approach don;t always lead to game power. Markakis could barrel the hell out of the ball but he never had great power. Kirby Puckett and Wade Boggs were others that never had great power but who barreled the ball often.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Not always because someguys swing path and approach don;t always lead to game power. Markakis could barrel the hell out of the ball but he never had great power. Kirby Puckett and Wade Boggs were others that never had great power but who barreled the ball often.

I'm still trying to figure out how Boggs had 24 HR's in 1987. It was an odd year for HR's but 24 for a guy who hit over 10 one other time (11 in '94) in 18 years. Back to Manny...

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

IRC, Butler was injured before the trade and we knew it when we traded for him.  Considered the risk worth it.

I don’t think so.   He pitched in 12 games for us, then got hurt.    In fact, I think he wrote a short article or post that was published here that was going to be a regular thing, but then he got hurt and that ended.    

You may be thinking of Troy Patton, who was a featured piece in the Tejada trade but was injured at the time.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

On the latter, he much of that was they weren’t willing to adjust their swings for power.  Justin Turner and many others have shown that adjustment can be made.   

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

On the latter, he much of that was they weren’t willing to adjust their swings for power.  Justin Turner and many others have shown that adjustment can be made.   

Not sure, but I just don't think it's as easy as saying anyone who makes good hard contact can become a power hitter just because some guys have. I remember Boggs saying he choose to try and hit for power one year, knowing it would drop his average, so perhaps it is more about preference, but at the same time, some guys can't successfully alter their bat path at the major league level.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure, but I just don't think it's as easy as saying anyone who makes good hard contact can become a power hitter just because some guys have. I remember Boggs saying he choose to try and hit for power one year, knowing it would drop his average, so perhaps it is more about preference, but at the same time, some guys can't successfully alter their bat path at the major league level.

I agree not everyone can do it, but we have seen enough guys like Betts, Altuve, Turner, and others do it.  Also some guys are hitting for more power in MLB for whatever reason, some say the ball.  Take a look at Gleyber Torres who never hit more than 11 in minors.  He has 15.  If it is the ball, the fact that Diaz hit tow with an MLB ball in the Futures Games could bode well (of course, SSS)

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

As a side note, it's kind of a curiousity to me that a player in the modern era could be the best overall hitter of his time by being a singles and doubles hitter.  As a 6'2" 200 lb guy.  It's like if Trout hit only 10 HRs every year, but had a batting average of .370 instead of .310.  It's just bizarre to think about in the context of the current state of the game.

That said, Markakis had a 6+ win season and a 4 win season for us, so if that's what Diaz becomes I'd be pretty okay with that.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, when you're Boggs, you probably can do whatever the heck you want as a hitter and you'll probably succeed.  That dude had unbelievable bat control.

That said, I don't know what year he tried to hit for power at the expense of his batting average, because the 2 seasons he hit double digit home runs, his batting average was .342 and .363.

Archived