Orioles to be more active in International Free Agent Market

NCRaven

2 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Just as I said long ago that the Orioles wouldn't get these guys. Just the way the team operates.  You can get upset about it or just realize the Orioles this how the team operates.  I wonder who will get Gaston. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, xian4 said:

It was about the money, the Marlins are probably out on Gaston now, which means the Orioles are in ...

There are other teams with money. I don't expect the Orioles to get Gaston. If we wanted Victor Jr why not offer him 2 or 3 million?  I think the Marlins were bidding against themselves for the Mesa brothers.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

There are other teams with money. I don't expect the Orioles to get Gaston. If we wanted Victor Jr why not offer him 2 or 3 million?  I think the Marlins were bidding against themselves for the Mesa brothers.

I thought the Mesa's were  a package deal ?

The Orioles can far outbid any team for Gaston if they really want him.  To me, the only way they don’t sign him is if they either don’t think he’s worth what he’s asking for, or another team values him much more than the O’s and trades for more money to have a chance to match or beat our bid.  We shall see what happens.

4 minutes ago, Obando said:

The Orioles can far outbid any team for Gaston if they really want him.  To me, the only way they don’t sign him is if they either don’t think he’s worth what he’s asking for, or another team values him much more than the O’s and trades for more money to have a chance to match or beat our bid.  We shall see what happens.

Or the Orioles ownership doesn't want to spend any money.   

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

Or the Orioles ownership doesn't want to spend any money.   

I really think this narrative that ownership doesn’t want to spend money is overblown.  They have been spending money, mainly on the major league team, but unfortunately most of the deals have come back to haunt them, most notably Chris Davis.  In the case of the Mesas, I have no doubt the O’s sincerely tried to sign them, but the Marlins unexpectedly went all out to sign them, and they clearly preferred to play in Miami if the money was similar, which it looks to have been.  I think the O’s would have had to significantly outbid the Marlins to sign them, and they clearly weren’t interested in doing that.  The Mesas are good talents, but not considered super star caliber, and the O’s clearly put a value on them and weren’t willing to exceed it just to make a point that they are now players in the international market again.

8 minutes ago, Obando said:

I really think this narrative that ownership doesn’t want to spend money is overblown.  They have been spending money, mainly on the major league team, but unfortunately most of the deals have come back to haunt them, most notably Chris Davis.  In the case of the Mesas, I have no doubt the O’s sincerely tried to sign them, but the Marlins unexpectedly went all out to sign them, and they clearly preferred to play in Miami if the money was similar, which it looks to have been.  I think the O’s would have had to significantly outbid the Marlins to sign them, and they clearly weren’t interested in doing that.  The Mesas are good talents, but not considered super star caliber, and the O’s clearly put a value on them and weren’t willing to exceed it just to make a point that they are now players in the international market again.

Than why did they trade 750K of the slot money away?

8 minutes ago, Obando said:

That is BS.  The Orioles traded away of 750k of slot money for nothing.  If they were serious about the Mesa brothers that would not have happened.  And the sons have not spent any money. Instead they have tried to get rid of every cent of salary they could.  They even said no official celebrations for Adam Jones as they were mad he didn't let them shed more salary. 

19 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

This is just further proof that if the Orioles and Team B are interested in the same player(s) that Team B always wins.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O'Day.

Well it was only rumored but when mystery team B was rumored to exist in the huge Chris Davis sweepstakes...the Orioles upped their original offer and....Never mind. Even as a rumor...we can’t beat team B.  

Nowhere but up boys!!!!

Just now, foxfield said:

Well it was only rumored but when mystery team B was rumored to exist in the huge Chris Davis sweepstakes...the Orioles upped their original offer and....Never mind. Even as a rumor...we can’t beat team B.  

Nowhere but up boys!!!!

They "won" the O'Day sweepstakes against the Nationals.

Of course even when they win they lose.

Archived