Updated Farm System Rankings After Trade

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If Schoop can't be extended he should be dealt before the deadline. Manny would've fetched more las deadline with 11/2 season of return for the buying club. Nit that I'm happy with the trade. Just saying

I would agree, except Schoop is hitting .229 with a .263 OBP and a 0.0 rWAR and a -0.1 fWAR. If Schoop can be traded now based on his 2017 value than by all means, but I think he the Orioles may be better served waiting until the offseason.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gausman and Schoop should be moved this off season if they play well 2nd half and dont want to extend.  The team will not compete in the next two years and by the Manny trade we are going to do a full rebuild as the players they got are mostly 2 years away imo except for Diaz.  

22 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would agree, except Schoop is hitting .229 with a .263 OBP and a 0.0 rWAR and a -0.1 fWAR. If Schoop can be traded now based on his 2017 value than by all means, but I think he the Orioles may be better served waiting until the offseason.

Probably right.....Hopefully he rebounds  in the 2nd half.

22 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Gausman and Schoop should be moved this off season if they play well 2nd half and dont want to extend.  The team will not compete in the next two years and by the Manny trade we are going to do a full rebuild as the players they got are mostly 2 years away imo except for Diaz.  

I agree with this. See if some of these younger veterans are interested in extensions. If they aren't, look to move them. Honestly I feel like that should be our mode of operating unless we have a world series caliber team. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Plenty to worry about there, but I do think it’s too soon to give up on Sisco.    As to Mancini, I think it’s mostly psychological.     He’ll hit decently if he gets in the right frame of mind.     But he’s not going to wow anyone with his overall offensive/defensive game.    Kind of a healthier Reimold (not his style of play, just overall level).

I like the Reimold comp stats wise. Good job. Sisco is 23.5. I think it’s way too early to give up on him. He has a .664 in his first PA. Let’s say he only adds 50-60 pts to that. 5-6 years of control for a lefty C with a .725 OPs is likely average to maybe a bit above. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

How “not young” are you?    The farm system we had from the mid-60’s to the early 70’s was outrageously good, easily the best in baseball.   

48. I didn't latch on until the late 70's so I stand by my statement. It would be incredibly exciting to see a deep and talented farm system. Can you imagine the buzz on this site if we had a top 5 system? Would be a lot of fun!

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The O's had a top-10 farm system in 2008-2009. That is probably when it was at its best in my lifetime (I am 33). If they make noise in the international market, trade Britton, trade Schoop by the deadline next year, and have a good draft with a top 2 pick and all the slot value that entails, I could see them back in the top 10 in the 2019-20 offseason, depending on whether the top guys have graduated by then.

I'm trying to remember who was in a picture from around that time frame without cheating. There were five starting pitcher prospects in front of a dugout. I'm thinking Loewen, Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and someone else (Patton?). Thinking Britton was a little behind them. My memory sucks though. Regardless.....you're right, that was a really cool stretch because we got to overrate all our guys and we had a pretty nice system at the time. 

5 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I'm trying to remember who was in a picture from around that time frame without cheating. There were five starting pitcher prospects in front of a dugout. I'm thinking Loewen, Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and someone else (Patton?). Thinking Britton was a little behind them. My memory sucks though. Regardless.....you're right, that was a really cool stretch because we got to overrate all our guys and we had a pretty nice system at the time. 

Wieters was the #1 prospect in baseball entering 2009 and top 15 entering 2008.

4 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Found it. I was in the neighborhood. Totally forgot about Hernandez.

45314793.jpg?w=450

16 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I just want a more balanced lineup. I am so tired of the HR or K lineup. Especially when the HR aren't coming. 

I totally, TOTALLY agree with you. My personal take: strikeout-heavy power hitters are basically under-skilled (i.e. limited) batsmen. They happen to be really powerful. But they can't control that power well enough at the highest levels. 

The analogy would be a power pitcher without location. Sure, he's going to blow away less skilled batsmen. But the best hitters will simply let the pitcher get behind in the count, wait for him to groove a fastball... then hit it like BP. Or they just time the fastball and swing real hard. 

I believe in something called "bat skill." Robbie Alomar was probably the most skilled hitter I've seen in recent decades. He could lay down a bunt... go opposite field to drive in a run... He could hit a fly ball when needed, again to advance a runner. 

Chris Davis can't do any of those things, yet so many people have claimed that strikeouts don't matter. I believe they do, when they're super high, because it implies poor bat skill. 

5 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I believe in something called "bat skill." Robbie Alomar was probably the most skilled hitter I've seen in recent decades. He could lay down a bunt... go opposite field to drive in a run... He could hit a fly ball when needed, again to advance a runner. 

Altuve is right up there.   

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

And that's Bergesen in front, right? I forgot Loewen was ahead of that group.

Chorye Spoone was the bell of the ball for about 2 months too. I still wish he turned into what we hoped.

Archived