Peter Angelos health status

Obando

For months now, we have been hearing that Peter Angelos has health issues and is less involved with the day to day operation of the organization.  Due to these health issues, his sons, John & Lou, have become much more involved with the ownership responsibilities, and we have already seen many changes (for the better) that would seem to support this.  However, there is still a general assumption that Peter is involved, only to a much lesser degree.

Does anyone have any idea what Peter’s health issues are, and the level of involvement that he still has?  Obviously, at 89 years old, it’s not surprising that he is having health issues and not able to run the club as he has for all these years.  But no one in the media seems to be delving into his health situation much at all, only making general references to the fact that the sons are “taking on more ownership responsibilities.”  

Based on the moves that have been made since March/April, including the signing of Alex Cobb to a 4-year deal, hiring of John Vidalin as COO, Kids Cheer Free initiative, hiring Brooks Robinson as a team/community ambassador, trading Manny 2 week’s before the trade deadline with relatively little drama (other than the false alarm about a medical concern with one of the Dodger prospects), and now Duquette acknowledging that the team will be committed to investing in analytics, technology, front office/scouting staffing, and the international market, it has become very clear to me that John & Lou are running the show, as these are not the kind of moves Peter Angelos would have made based on his long track record of missteps.

As much as it hurt to see Manny get traded, I am totally willing to accept it knowing that it appears we actually have a plan to rebuild the organization the right way moving forward.  I know it won’t happen overnight and will be an incremental process, but at the very least, it appears we will finally have a modern-day process for running baseball operations.

If anyone knows the true, current status of Peter Angelos’ health situation and level of involvement at the ownership level, I’d love to know.  I can read the tea leaves based on all the moves listed above being out of character for him, but I wish we could have some level of certainty and understanding, rather than what appears to be nothing more than whispers and assumptions by members of the media.

2 hours ago, Malike said:

I know my opinion will not be popular, but I am not champing at the bit waiting for Peter to pass away in the hopes it will be better for the team. I hope he lives 5 more years or whatever.

I never do a down vote, but you got close.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

You're headed that way too. Might take a little longer. Have some respect.

Are you drunk? Honest question. I wish no ill will on the man. I'm one of the few who has never disparaged him. Are you drunk, or just really tired and your reading comprehension is in the toilet?

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Are you drunk? Honest question. I wish no ill will on the man. I'm one of the few who has never disparaged him. Are you drunk, or just really tired and your reading comprehension is in the toilet?

If I was drunk there would be cuss words and a suspension involved.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

If I was drunk there would be cuss words and a suspension involved.

I guess I don't understand your beef then? For years people have been wishing death on this man. I was saying the complete opposite. I never joke about someone's death. Kind of comes with the territory when you have a child who is dying. So please, tell me what exactly "triggered" you in my post.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

I don't like the way he ran things either, but you can't come back from dead. If I offended you I apologize.

Buddy, I said NOT champing at the bit. Some people are and have been for years. I meant my opinion would not be popular with that contingent on the board. I want nothing bad to happen to that man. Is he a perfect owner? No. But he is one hell of a human being and it would be a tremendous loss.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Buddy, I said NOT champing at the bit. Some people are and have been for years. I meant my opinion would not be popular with that contingent on the board. I want nothing bad to happen to that man. Is he a perfect owner? No. But he is one hell of a human being and it would be a tremendous loss.

You were perfectly respectful. I'm the same, let him live another 10 years if he's enjoying it, let him see the team burn down and rebuild... hell, give him a ring before he's gone.  If the sons run the team the way the talk has gone the last few days, then great, but regardless I wish Peter no ill will.  

• weams locked this topic

Archived