Dan Duquette -- any chance he stays?

Bradysburns

I'd love to see John Angelos take over the organization. I'd love to see him re-up with Dan, and give Dan the oversight he craves. Let Dan make all baseball-related decisions, including choosing our next manager (assuming Buck's not re-upping). 

It's clear that Dan understands how to build a winning organization. His recent comments show that more clearly than ever. It's also obvious he knows how to run a competent front office. It's also clear he's had great success with the Orioles, and with limited operational autonomy. 

Imagine a combination of new, fresh owner vision plus DD's experience, finally unleashed... could be good!

Do you think this could happen? Any chance DD stays on? Would you support it happening, or would you rather just see us completely turn the page and turn the "rebuild" over to someone new? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he'll stay. He has repeatedly made his desire to stay public. his "heart is in Baltimore." Also, I doubt that the organization hasn't seen the changing public perception of Duquette. He is gaining support to be our GM and knows the ins and outs of the organization. IMO, I think the Angelos family will be negotiating an extension for Duquette in August/September.

Personally, I'd like to see it happen.    

Judging by Andrew Friedman's comments, it sounds like Dan was leading the Manny trade, and seemed to handle it very well.   I think we got the best return we could.   

Dan's own comments about changes in the organization sounded very encouraging and like he'd be happy to play a role in it.   

I'd like to hand him the keys and see what he could do with a budget number and letting him have the autonomy to make personnel decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I'd love to see John Angelos take over the organization. I'd love to see him re-up with Dan, and give Dan the oversight he craves. Let Dan make all baseball-related decisions, including choosing our next manager (assuming Buck's not re-upping). 

It's clear that Dan understands how to build a winning organization. His recent comments show that more clearly than ever. It's also obvious he knows how to run a competent front office. It's also clear he's had great success with the Orioles, and with limited operational autonomy. 

Imagine a combination of new, fresh owner vision plus DD's experience, finally unleashed... could be good!

Do you think this could happen? Any chance DD stays on? Would you support it happening, or would you rather just see us completely turn the page and turn the "rebuild" over to someone new? 

If John gives DD autonomy to run the team and lets DD pick the next manager. Start getting into the Latin American talent. Need to be in the international market. Buck and Brady need to go. I would support DD 100%. Having read what I did yesterday and getting the Manny deal done. 

I think the answer to the OP's question a week ago would've been 'no way is he staying'.  That said, I think the actions of the last week and his comprehensive interview a few nights back seem to suggest there is a fair shot he does stay.  And I concur with all the sentiments put forth here - extend Dan and give him the reins to build without being hamstrung by Peter Angelos.  It'll take a few years, but I think we'll be happy with the results. 

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It has been my hope all along that DD stays. However, I think Buck and Brady ultimately push him out. 

I hope Buck and Brady are the ones pushed out. DD is the GM then he is their boss. Of course that may only apply correctly run organizations. Hopefully John makes the proper changes. 

I suspect he'll stay only if he has assurances that he won't be micromanaged and the Brady Anderson situation is clarified to his satisfaction.  I can only imagine the frustration he must have felt over the last three years, 2016's success notwithstanding.  I also suspect he's considered a lot more highly in the larger professional baseball community than he is on here and Baltimore won't be his only choice for worthwhile employment.

I hope he stays because I think he's good, but for his sake I hope it's on his terms.

5 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope Buck and Brady are the ones pushed out. DD is the GM then he is their boss. Of course that may only apply correctly run organizations. Hopefully John makes the proper changes. 

I agree with this. Too many strong personalities and undefined roles with Buck and Brady still around. If Duquette is truly on board with this new vision (and has support/buy in from ownership) I say cut ties with Buck and either either marginalize Brady's role or cut ties with him as well. 

One talk to have would be, if we don't keep him who takes over.

While the O's might have a changing of the guard, potential replacements would be leery at best of our historical reputation.  If I recall, DD wasn't a guy many mentioned here when he was hired and some were unwilling to even interview (that's memory, and that always seems to be failing).

When the comments came out about the O's starting to look at analytics/international players...we all were excited, but still many cautious feelings and comments like put your money where your mouth is. 

To me, DD is at least positioned to see what needs fixing.  The key item most of us don't fully know, is how many decisions have been his, as opposed to Buck/Brady/Angelos...  Some seem to have some incite, but I certainly don't. 

If the answer of taking over falls to Brady/Buck?Angelos son's, none have shown the ability to take on all the responsibilities of a GM in a way that would spark many warm fuzzies for me.  I don't know if he'd stay, but if he's been hamstrung for a bit and has been key in making plans for the future (as his comments hinted at) I think he's likely to be the one to continue that work.

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Duquette and Brady and tighter than most people perceive.

I've gotten the impression they get along. And I think Brady could serve well as a compliment to Duquette. Brady is really personable, great with establishing relationships - which is something that Duquette is maybe a bit weak at.

Buck and Duquette have butted heads, it seems, but they've made it work. The main issue has always been Peter Angelos.

Brady and Duquette make some sense together, but I would fear Bradys ability to go behind the back.

I think Duq should get 2 years.  His/ the organization's inability to look at their team last year and three years ago and see what they had was a nonstarter really cost the Orioles in missed opportunities.  

If you are going to beat the Yankees and Red Sox you have to make a lot of correct decisions and his "error rate" has been a bit too high.

Clearly there has been some meddling but look at the roster.  In the last three years it has only gotten worse.  No defense, no OBP skills.  It's been bad.

The other problem I have is that this is entertainment, I spend money on it to be entertained and this team has largely taken on a Dan Duquette like persona that kind of gives you a feeling of "eh."

Archived