John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Ripken and others make an important point: Trading Jones is unlikely to yield much. 

A caveat to my defense of Jones’ decision: Buck and DD can’t let his staying interfere with developing Mullins and others. If Jones stays, then he and Buck can’t let that get in the way of what’s best for the team’s future. 

Hopefully it will be another manager. Buck has worn out his welcome. 

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Because clearly Adam Jones losing a step in CF is why we have the worst record in MLB..rolls eyes...

There is no one single reason why the O’s have the worst record in MLB.    Jones’ defense in CF is one of about 40 reasons why.

We will either sign AJ for another season or two this off season (to be a COF, and then later a 4th or 5th OF who mentors the young guys when they come up), or we won't.  Whether he's here the remainder of this year will have practically zero impact on that decision for the front office.

Also, I'm sure he knows that we won't get an awe-inspiring return for him.  A little something to help our minor league depth, sure, but not an ungodly prospect.  There's really little or no obligation to the team over so minor a result.

So really, it's all about whether he wants to chase a ring or not.  If he does, we'll let him go.  If he'd rather stay for personal reasons, he'll do that.  I don't really see the situation as being any more complex than that.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is no one single reason why the O’s have the worst record in MLB.    Jones’ defense in CF is one of about 40 reasons why.

Yeah seriously - my heart wants him to stay but he has to move to a corner OF spot!  It will HELP the team!

And that of course coincides with moving one of our two extra 1Bmen OUT of the corner OF spots.  :mad:

Putting myself in Adam's shoes, I can get this. He knows the Orioles have basically a full crop of rookie OFers coming up sometime in 2019. He probably wants a multi-year deal this winter if he can get one, and if the Orioles are truly starting over he needs to go elsewhere to get it. But he's attached to the city and the team and would like to finish out his time here. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Maybe he wants the O's to make a QO or team friendly extension. Live in Cal's house for another year, etc. We know he had dinner with John recently.

In any case, it's his prerogative. We wouldn't get much more than a C prospect so this is okay with me.

My guess is he wants to come back next year. 

12 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Putting myself in Adam's shoes, I can get this. He knows the Orioles have basically a full crop of rookie OFers coming up sometime in 2019. He probably wants a multi-year deal this winter if he can get one, and if the Orioles are truly starting over he needs to go elsewhere to get it. But he's attached to the city and the team and would like to finish out his time here. 

But that is exactly why it would make sense for him to waive the clause. He's not guaranteed to come back next year and it probably make sense not to bring him back. Unless he does have a guarantee from ownership which would go against this alleged new direction for the organization. 

5 minutes ago, vab said:

But that is exactly why it would make sense for him to waive the clause. He's not guaranteed to come back next year and it probably make sense not to bring him back. Unless he does have a guarantee from ownership which would go against this alleged new direction for the organization. 

If he wants to stay, but knows it may not happen past this year, to me it's certainly reasonable that he would choose to stay while he can. 

22 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe these players had valid reasons. Some players don't even give autographs. 

I've never seen players miss in the five years I've been there, unless they are on the DL (so Darren O'Day was not there, nor was he expected to be there), or they are the starting pitcher for the day.  Its a known baseball unwritten rule that the starting pitcher does not sign autographs as a superstition thing, and the last two starting pitchers Ive seen sign autographs before the game backs that up.  

For Schoop, it's disappointing because he missed fan fest and said that he would be more available to the fans this year for autographs before games.  For Adam, this is really disappointing because this could be the last time we could get his autograph, and if one of his concerns for not waiving his No-Trade Clause is to say goodbye to the fans the right way, he certainly didn't show that yesterday.  

I'm not expecting guys to be all that thrilled to be there- when I got to Adam for this event in 2014, he looked miserable.  In 2015, Manny was going through the motions, but last year, he was looking over and showed Ruben Tejada the 2015 ASG HR Derby ball I wanted him to sign.  However,  some were happy at the chance to interact with fans.  Cashner commented on the "pearl" baseball I asked him to sign, and Danny Valencia was giving me a hard time over the baseball that I want to trade with Mark Trumbo and they both laughed at my friend's dad who was helping me get things signed when he said "he's a pushover, don't worry about it."  

Also, this is one of the only true perks that 81 and 29 game season ticket holders have, aside from the dollar-for-dollar trade promotion.  To have two star players no-show the event, and then to have the table 4 people with Schoop turn in their "guarantee" vouchers without getting Schoop's autograph is pretty ridiculous.  

Archived