Could Schoop be the O's 3B of the future?

wildcard

56 minutes ago, vab said:

It would make sense if he wasn't a year away from free agency and team wasn't in rebuild mode. But since he is and they are, Schoop should be dealt. Either at the deadline or this winter.

You think he should be traded.  I think he won't be.  The O's have  extended their key players that are in their prime in the last 7 years..  Exception is Markakis who had a neck injury.   Schoop is too young, has too good a future and will be affordable for the O's to let him go.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Does anyone remember how much he struggled at third when he was younger and more athletic?

It was a minimal number of games (14 starts) and he was less experienced.    I think he’d do well at 3B.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Mountcastle is the O's DH after Trumbo is traded in July next year.

I agree with this. Dude can hit, but not much with the glove. I think Schoop is traded now or off season. Next year we put Wilkerson at 3B, sign Iglesias as short, put Mancini at 1B. Make defense best we can and that will make our pitchers better so we can trade them--Cashner, O'Day, Cobb . . . etc

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

I keep asking this.  He hasn't had much time there to know but I think he'd do well.  I wonder if some others, eg Mountcastle, might do better at 2B.

I've asked about Schoop moving to 3B a few times as well. The responses have been limited, but uniformly negative, based on his limited range and less-than-great reactions to the ball coming off the bat. 

Schoop was a SS in the minors until Manny Machado came along. He has very limited experience at third, with lots of errors (24 games in the minors with 8 errors, 17 games with the Orioles in 2014 with 4 errors). He started the 2014 season at third when Manny was out, and I don't remember that. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I've asked about Schoop moving to 3B a few times as well. The responses have been limited, but uniformly negative, based on his limited range and less-than-great reactions to the ball coming off the bat. 

Schoop was a SS in the minors until Manny Machado came along. He has very limited experience at third, with lots of errors (24 games in the minors with 8 errors, 17 games with the Orioles in 2014 with 4 errors). He started the 2014 season at third when Manny was out, and I don't remember that. 

I think you've got responses from the wrong people. 

Not everyone's like Manny and can switch to 3B at the drop of a hat.  For most, it takes time, and it's absurd to assume he can't make the transition - if given an offseason to work on it.  He certainly has the physical tools to do it, and he's smart enough to learn it.    

18 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

What would you have to pay him to extend him and would it be worth it when you are rebuilding.

If you signed Schoop to a 5 year deal, buying out his last Arbitration season....Maybe that does make sense. He would only be 31 at the end of the contract. Not saying that this is likely, or that I propose such a deal. But it really would not be a terrible idea. I think Schoop would become a very, very good defensive third baseman. I would be shopping him right now, but if the Orioles decided to make him a cornerstone of the rebuild I could get behind that too.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was a minimal number of games (14 starts) and he was less experienced.    I think he’d do well at 3B.

Maybe, he was absolutely abysmal when he played it for a short time. IIRC he did nothing well. He didn't field the ball well, was horrid at charging the ball and he's throwing was very erratic. That's why it only lasted 14 games.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

What?  Schoop is 26.  He will be in his prime in 2 or 3 years.   That statement  actually says the O's will extend him.

No it don't. You don't extend to bridge a gap. You don't order online when you are going on vacation. 

2 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I agree with this. Dude can hit, but not much with the glove. I think Schoop is traded now or off season. Next year we put Wilkerson at 3B, sign Iglesias as short, put Mancini at 1B. Make defense best we can and that will make our pitchers better so we can trade them--Cashner, O'Day, Cobb . . . etc

I like this thinking.

29 minutes ago, weams said:

No it don't. You don't extend to bridge a gap. You don't order online when you are going on vacation. 

The first year would be at his arbitration  value.  The 2nd year his first year as a free agent money and according to the 3 year plan he would be on a contending O's team for years 3 through 5.    

When the O's have a good player he should stay.

Next year about 60m is coming off the books.   After the 2019 season Trumbo, O'Day and Cashner's contracts will be up.  The payroll is likely to continue to drop whether Schoop is extended or not.

Just now, wildcard said:

The first year would be at his arbitration  value.  The 2nd year his first year as a free agent money and according to the 3 year plan he would be on a contending O's team for years 3 through 5.    

When the O's have a good player he should stay.

I feel your pain. Yes. They should all stay. No. Free agents are not good. Extensions rarely are. I liked the old way too. When they had to stay unless the team traded them. It was neat and easy. 

Archived