Bundy is Broken

weams

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I have been trying to find the silver lining with Bundy for most of the season, but Bundy’s season is just dark brown. One might say black. I wonder if he’s hiding an injury from the team. 

Maybe he's hiding an injury, or maybe he's just not that good.  Wouldn't be surprised with either outcome.

We've had pitchers who weren't very good go on hot streaks before.  Remember when Ubaldo looked respectable for a little while?  I remember CaBBrera pitching well for about a month or so, the OH thought he finally had turned the corner.  Cobb, after a terrible start, looked good for a stretch and has reverted to sucking again.  Yeah, Bundy got off to a hot start this year but has sucked since May, with the exception of June.  

People seem to like Bundy because of the draft status, the thought of a high upside, etc.  But as his career has gone on, he's gotten worse, not better.  4.02 ERA, in 2015, 4.24 last year, 5.36 this year.  ERA+ of 107, 103 and now 80.

I'm not sure about the rest of you guys but I'd be looking for a first round draft pick who's 25 to be getting better, or at least maintaining, not getting worse.  He's got a terrible fastball that's lost velocity.  What that's due to, I don't know.  I don't particularly care, either.  If he's hurt, either he's too dumb and proud to say something or the Orioles are too stupid to shut him down.  And the Orioles are a very stupid team, but I think they're not that stupid, however they always surprise us somehow.  If he's not hurt, he is what he is, a 25 year old former 1st rounder with declining stuff.  

Maybe there's a chance he can turn it around, but the only thing to cling to is his youth and his pedigree (aka, we drafted him in the first round, he's got more rope to hang himself).  I'm pretty close to writing him off though.  If there's no uptick in velocity in 2019, if he's still continuing to give up dingers at an unprecedented rate, he's just not that good.  Maybe he'll be Arrieta 3.0 if we can find a sucker to trade for him.

10 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Well in MLB The Show 18, he threw 2 no hitters this season.

So yeah, he looks great in simulated games.

In my ongoing MLB 2k10 (currently in the 2017 season) franchise, he's started the season with 4 straight complete game shutouts, the last of which was a perfect game.

25 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

In my ongoing MLB 2k10 (currently in the 2017 season) franchise, he's started the season with 4 straight complete game shutouts, the last of which was a perfect game.

What type of "simulation" is that? You're making me glad I never bought into that game.

Over his past six starts, he has a 10.67 ERA, allowing 10 homers over that stretch. The two homers he allowed Friday gave him 37 on the season, the most by any Orioles pitcher in a season. No other pitcher has given up more than 35.

Bundy’s struggles go deeper. Even last season, when he had a solid showing in his first year as a full-time big league starter, he had stretches when he struggled, but they never extended this long. Over his past 11 starts, he has an 8.83 ERA, and he’s allowed at least one homer in each of those starts, a streak that is one shy of the club record set by Dave Johnson in 1990.

After recent spotty starts, Bundy said he’s turned to studying film and making slight tweaks in his mechanics, but he conceded he’s getting flummoxed by his continued struggles.

“Getting better,” Bundy said when asked what he turns to now. “Mechanically I can’t really find anything. I’ve put a finger on it too much. I think I’ve got to get better executing pitches and throw the ball with a little bit more conviction.”

Showalter said the team has no plans to shut Bundy down for the season. He’s still 19 2/3 innings from his career-high inning total from last season. But with little to play for after falling out of the playoff race last year, the team shut Bundy down with roughly two weeks left, his last start coming Sept. 18, 2017, after he posted a 7.53 ERA over three September starts.

“Not yet, not yet,” Showalter said about the prospect of shutting Bundy down. “It’s one of those things you get your arms around and take it day to day. We’ve got some off days and we’re going to do what’s best for Dylan and the Orioles, and it’s something that you consider with everybody this time of the year in our situation.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-bundy-20180908-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

People seem to like Bundy because of the draft status, the thought of a high upside, etc.  But as his career has gone on, he's gotten worse, not better.  4.02 ERA, in 2015, 4.24 last year, 5.36 this year.  ERA+ of 107, 103 and now 80.

I'm not sure about the rest of you guys but I'd be looking for a first round draft pick who's 25 to be getting better, or at least maintaining, not getting worse.

You hit the nail on the head.  He's a bust, and it's getting hard to argue otherwise.  Perhaps he can find a future in the bullpen, or learn a knuckleball?

He's got a terrible fastball that's lost velocity.  What that's due to, I don't know. 

I think I know.  As I'm sure has been discussed on this thread, one of his shoulder muscles started essentially turning into bone in 2015.  Dr. James Andrews said he had never seen anything like it in someone's shoulder before.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the precipitous loss in velocity can be traced back to around this time, yes?

Maybe there's a chance he can turn it around, but the only thing to cling to is his youth and his pedigree (aka, we drafted him in the first round, he's got more rope to hang himself).  I'm pretty close to writing him off though.  If there's no uptick in velocity in 2019, if he's still continuing to give up dingers at an unprecedented rate, he's just not that good.  Maybe he'll be Arrieta 3.0 if we can find a sucker to trade for him.

I'm writing him off as a starter.  I don't think he'll ever be Arrieta 3.0 with that fastball.  He's well on his way to being Matusz 2.0. 

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

You hit the nail on the head.  He's a bust, and it's getting hard to argue otherwise.  Perhaps he can find a future in the bullpen, or learn a knuckleball?

I think I know.  As I'm sure has been discussed on this thread, one of his shoulder muscles started essentially turning into bone in 2015.  Dr. James Andrews said he had never seen anything like it in someone's shoulder before.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the precipitous loss in velocity can be traced back to around this time, yes?

I'm writing him off as a starter.  I don't think he'll ever be Arrieta 3.0 with that fastball.  He's well on his way to being Matusz 2.0. 

Folks overuse bust.  I have an argument against him being a bust, he made the majors.

He's on season four of said MLB career.

That's not a bust.

Hobgood is what a bust looks like.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks overuse bust.  I have an argument against him being a bust, he made the majors.

He's on season four of said MLB career.

That's not a bust.

Fine, very true.  He has not lived up to the unfair amount of hype put on him as an 18 year old. 

'Bust' is often used as a derogatory term to express one's frustration about a player, and you're right, that is how I used it in this case. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks overuse bust. I have an argument against him being a bust:

A) ) He made the Majors.

B) ) He's on season four of said MLB career.

That's not a bust.

o

Ben "Don't Call Me a Bust" McDonald

78 career wins, 24 complete games, 6 shutouts, a career ERA of 3.91, and a career WHIP of 1.257 ....... all the while pitching his entire 9-year career in the American League (with the Designated Hitter), and the last few years having been pitched in the offensively-inflated steroid era.

While McDonald clearly didn't have the Cuellar-like or McNally-like career that we were hoping he would have, I always point out that he also had nowhere near a Rocky Cherry-like career either, and therefore do not lump him in with all of the other complete busts that have come and gone over the years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcdonbe01.shtml

o

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Ben "Don't Call Me a Bust" McDonald

78 career wins, 24 complete games, 6 shutouts, a career ERA of 3.91, and a career WHIP of 1.257 ....... all the while pitching his entire 9-year career in the American League (with the Designated Hitter), and the last few years having been pitched in the offensively-inflated steroid era.

While McDonald clearly didn't have the Cuellar-like or McNally-like career that we were hoping he would have, I always point out that he also had nowhere near a Rocky Cherry-like career either, and therefore do not lump him in with all of the other complete busts that have come and gone over the years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcdonbe01.shtml

o

He was 15 percent better than average.  Wish they had someone that good now.

I think they are in a predicament with Bundy going in to the off season. He has shown that he can be a good pitcher with care taken in regards to rest. The obvious choice would be to move him to the pen, but I'm not sure his shoulder would hold up any better in that situation.

Archived