Brewers- It's On

section18

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely Hiura+ or we ain't talking.  Some candidates for the (+):

• Corey Ray, OF, age 23 in AA, 50 rating - lefty with power and speed but not average... typical Oriole but can play defense
  • Tristen Lutz, OF, age 19 in A, 50 rating - above average projection in all five tools... still young obviously, ETA 2021.
  • Freddy Peralta, RHP, age 22 in AAA, 50 rating - low 90s fastball but gets a lot of strikeouts off of it, respectable off-speed pitches, very good PCL numbers
  • Mauricio Dubon, SS, age 24 in AAA, 45 rating - no power but hitting .343 in the PCL and a legit middle infielder with speed
  • Jean Carmona, SS, age 18 in Rookie League, 45 rating - looong way to go regarding hitting, but has all the defensive tools for SS
  • Kodi Medeiros, LHP, age 22 in AA, 45 rating - mid 90s fastball with sink but calling card is slider/changeup... 3/4 arm slot drops him in the rankings.  could be a sleeper

Don't we already have a poor man's Hiura in our system in Mountcastle? Is he going to be able to stick at second? Great hit tool, questionable arm.  I understand why everyone would want him, but there's a lot of risk there as far as a floor.  If he doesn't hit, I mean really hit, his value is diminished significantly. 

Not going to be a popular opinion here, but...yeah

5 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

Don't we already have a poor man's Hiura in our system in Mountcastle? Is he going to be able to stick at second? Great hit tool, questionable arm.  I understand why everyone would want him, but there's a lot of risk there as far as a floor.  If he doesn't hit, I mean really hit, his value is diminished significantly. 

Not going to be a popular opinion here, but...yeah

Well, Milwaukee has an average farm system.  Hiura happens to be their top guy and one of their two top 100 prospects.  If he's really as good a pure hitter as projected (70) then I'll take an average arm at 2B.

The other guy is RHP Corbin Burnes, who is sporting a 5.15 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in AAA (albeit in the hitter friendly PCL)

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Well, Milwaukee has an average farm system.  Hiura happens to be their top guy and one of their two top 100 prospects.  If he's really as good a pure hitter as projected (70) then I'll take an average arm at 2B.

The other guy is RHP Corbin Burnes, who is sporting a 5.15 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in AAA (albeit in the hitter friendly PCL)

He has an arm that probably is going to require Tommy John sooner or later, it's not average it's below average and damaged.  

Also, there's nothing stopping the Orioles from trading with another team lol.  

I could be totally wrong, he is a consensus top 10 prospect that I've read nothing but good stuff about, I'm just some IT professional, but I believe there's a lot of downside. 

1 minute ago, awannabegeek said:

He has an arm that probably is going to require Tommy John sooner or later, it's not average it's below average and damaged.  

Also, there's nothing stopping the Orioles from trading with another team lol.  

I could be totally wrong, he is a consensus top 10 prospect that I've read nothing but good stuff about, I'm just some IT professional, but I believe there's a lot of downside. 

Oh sure - in fact I would prefer not to move Schoop and Gausman in the same deal - rather, separate deals, unless the team we're dealing to has a top farm system like San Diego (and SD surely won't happen)

9 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Gausman has had far more success with the Orioles than Arrieta ever did.  At some point people need to let go.  

Fun fact: Gausman, with 2 1/3 cost-controlled years left, has provided ~70 million in surplus value.  That’s an unqualified success.  Fangraphs thinks that a 75 FV pitcher will provide, on average, $83 million.

9 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Maybe a little off topic,  but talking about an average system and all... We now have 2 top 100 guys and 3 guys that have formerly been in the top 100. Not only that but if you look at our top 20, everyone is performing pretty well except for Harvey and Hays, who have been hurt. 

For Gausman, you have to think teams are thinking About Arrieta when they see him. He’s got all the tools but is only a #3 SP. a move to the NL, fresh start, change of scenery, and some coaching up, and he might reach his potential pretty fast. Plus he has 2.3 years of control with a strong possibility of landing a comp pick when he hits FA. 

SEA and Oak are looking like the only AL market for him. That leaves pretty much all the contenders in the NL. Once Happ goes, and teams realize the Mets aren’t trading anyone, and everyone else is rentals, you could see things come together pretty quickly. 

I really wish the Cubs had a better system because I think they’d be all over him. They still might be but they don’t have the system to drive up a bidding war. Maybe something like, 

Gausman and Joseph for OF Happ, C Carratini, C/OF Amaya(#10)SP Lange(#5) and  2B Bote (#14). 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe a little off topic,  but talking about an average system and all... We now have 2 top 100 guys and 3 guys that have formerly been in the top 100. Not only that but if you look at our top 20, everyone is performing pretty well except for Harvey and Hays, who have been hurt. 

For Gausman, you have to think teams are thinking About Arrieta when they see him. He’s got all the tools but is only a #3 SP. a move to the NL, fresh start, change of scenery, and some coaching up, and he might reach his potential pretty fast. Plus he has 2.3 years of control with a strong possibility of landing a comp pick when he hits FA. 

SEA and Oak are looking like the only AL market for him. That leaves pretty much all the contenders in the NL. Once Happ goes, and teams realize the Mets aren’t trading anyone, and everyone else is rentals, you could see things come together pretty quickly. 

I really wish the Cubs had a better system because I think they’d be all over him. They still might be but they don’t have the system to drive up a bidding war. Maybe something like, 

Gausman and Joseph for OF Happ, C Carratini, C/OF Amaya(#10)SP Lange(#5) and  2B Bote (#14). 

I agree that the market is pretty advantageous for the Orioles to trade Gausman - but they shouldn't be in any rush. Wait for the right deal.

Just FYI... there was a report of Domingo Santana being pulled unexpectedly from the lineup in Colorado Springs last night.  #HugWatch

Related?  I know I mentioned Santana before, but I would rather not acquire him since it looked like his success last year was a flash in the pan.

1 minute ago, orioles119 said:

Just FYI... there was a report of Domingo Santana being pulled unexpectedly from the lineup in Colorado Springs last night.  #HugWatch

Related?  I know I mentioned Santana before, but I would rather not acquire him since it looked like his success last year was a flash in the pan.

Of course, this may be related to the pursuit of JA Happ as well.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s some pretty good players there, and don’t forget Bordick.   Admittedly, no Manny or Britton equivalents in there, but several pieces as good or better than the others we’re shopping now.  Bordick played in the WS with the Mets, Surhoff helped the Braves to a division title and Will Clark OPS’d 1.081 for the Cardinals to help them to a division title.    Timlin also did a good job for the Cards.

I did forget Bordick (who netted us Melvin Mora). And we did get Luis RIvera from the Braves, unfortunately despite expectations, he turned out to be a big nothing as far as pitching for us.

I guess my point though is that despite how those guys performed for their new teams, the real big names on the O's roster that year (namely Mussina) were not traded. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a slew of prospects for any of those guys.

2 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

I did forget Bordick (who netted us Melvin Mora). And we did get Luis RIvera from the Braves, unfortunately despite expectations, he turned out to be a big nothing as far as pitching for us.

I guess my point though is that despite how those guys performed for their new teams, the real big names on the O's roster that year (namely Mussina) were not traded. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a slew of prospects for any of those guys.

Mussina, Anderson and Belle had no trade clauses in their contracts.   

6 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

The Luis Rivera trade is one of the reasons the Orioles have such a deep medical screening process now.  He was injured when we traded for him and amounted to less than nothing.  

Archived