Jan.-Apr. 2019 plan

sevastras

Look for DD(at this point I don’t see him leaving) signing a handful of 1 year rebuild value contracts. Your Cruz, Valencia, Rasmus, type deals. We all know the prospects that are coming in won’t all just plug into the mlb team, so I see anyone that can be had for a year that has upside will be signed. That all works into the idea, that you are gambling on these guys and if it works, you have more players to flip again at the deadline next year.

some of you will say, who would want to sign with a terrible team? How about anyone that still thinks they have it or need to prove they still do? They get an opportunity and also know if they do well they will be flipped to a winner, anyone that wants the everyday chance to play.

Just something I have been thinking about the past couple days as we wait to see what else might happen by tomorrow. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

More concerned with how he can get Davis out of Baltimore.  I am not sure where Mountcastle ends up, there's been some talk that he could stick at 3rd or wind up at first.  

I wouldn't want him blocked in any way by Davis.  

If they decide Mountcastle can't stick at third, they will make every effort to see if he can play left field before going to first. 

5 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Hmm...who is coming off the books on other teams that the O's could field a team with?

Adam Jones; Nick Markakis; Nelson Cruz; Matt Wieters...

"Orioles 2014 Part Deux"

No, no, no, and no.  You can't go home again.  Sign cheap gap fillers and work in the prospects.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Indeed. Although maybe yesterday was the start of the turnaround! ?

Man, that'd be nice.  Still, even if he starts mashing again somehow, some way, it's hard to relax knowing just how bad he can be.

In regards to the OP, I am not in favor of signing any one year deals for guys that are on the wrong side of 30 and need a place to show off that they've still got it.  Next year should be all about letting the kids play from OD or making sure they can be brought up later on.  

22 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Look for DD(at this point I don’t see him leaving) signing a handful of 1 year rebuild value contracts. Your Cruz, Valencia, Rasmus, type deals. We all know the prospects that are coming in won’t all just plug into the mlb team, so I see anyone that can be had for a year that has upside will be signed. That all works into the idea, that you are gambling on these guys and if it works, you have more players to flip again at the deadline next year.

some of you will say, who would want to sign with a terrible team? How about anyone that still thinks they have it or need to prove they still do? They get an opportunity and also know if they do well they will be flipped to a winner, anyone that wants the everyday chance to play.

Just something I have been thinking about the past couple days as we wait to see what else might happen by tomorrow. 

I don’t think we’re going to rush the prospects up. We’re going to see some stop gap guys us here. Maybe some guys from the KBO or Mexican league. I see us signing stop gap players that want playing time and trying to flip them at the deadline. Right now we’re pretty set in the rotation and pen, but things can change. I’d look for a 3B that needs a chance, either a 4A guy or a vet that needs to build his value back up. 

I do not see the O's spending money on one year contracts.

1B - Davis

2B- Schoop

SS- Beckham

3B - Wilkerson, Valera, Peterson

C - Sisco, Joseph, Wynn

LF - Mancini

CF - Mullins

LF - Rickard,  Stewart, Hays

DH - Trumbo

SP - Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner,  Ramirez

RF - Givens, O'Day,  Castro, Wright, Fry, Scott, Hess

Norfolk Shuttle: Yacabonis, Means, Harvey, Rogers, Carroll, Kline, Luis Gonzalez

Hart traded because he is out of options

Cashner, Trumbo, and O'Day  traded at the July deadline.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think we’re going to rush the prospects up. We’re going to see some stop gap guys us here. Maybe some guys from the KBO or Mexican league. I see us signing stop gap players that want playing time and trying to flip them at the deadline. Right now we’re pretty set in the rotation and pen, but things can change. I’d look for a 3B that needs a chance, either a 4A guy or a vet that needs to build his value back up. 

Yeah, no point in rushing guys. However, guys like Diaz, Hays, Mullins, Carroll, Akin, Sisco, Scott, Stewart, Luis Gonzalez, kline, Tate, means, Rogers, and Wynns are knocking on the door(or are in the MLB). They should see a lot of time on the 2019 team. That group has the potential to yield a future outfield, the core of a bullpen, half of our rotation, our bench, and our catcher. There are some potential all stars in that group, but it needs some more studs to eventually be considered a contender(frontline starter and infielders).

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I do not see the O's spending money on one year contracts.

1B - Davis

2B- Schoop

SS- Beckham

3B - Wilkerson, Valera, Peterson

C - Sisco, Joseph, Wynn

LF - Mancini

CF - Mullins

LF - Rickard,  Stewart, Hays

DH - Trumbo

SP - Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner,  Ramirez

RF - Givens, O'Day,  Castro, Wright, Fry, Scott, Hess

Norfolk Shuttle: Yacabonis, Means, Harvey, Rogers, Carroll, Kline, Luis Gonzalez

Hart traded because he is out of options

Cashner, Trumbo, and O'Day  traded at the July deadline.

Things open up real quick if Schoop, Givens, and Gausman are traded. I think Joseph has value as well. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Things open up real quick if Schoop, Givens, and Gausman are traded. I think Joseph has value as well. 

I don't see them getting traded.  I think Schoop gets extended this off season.   Gausman the season after.   Givens some time later.     The payroll goes to 100m  next year and maybe 95m the next year.  Then 2021  after some of the top prospects are in the majors the O's do what Philly did and add a couple of free agents like Arrieta and Santana.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

More concerned with how he can get Davis out of Baltimore.  I am not sure where Mountcastle ends up, there's been some talk that he could stick at 3rd or wind up at first.  

I wouldn't want him blocked in any way by Davis.  

I absolutely would look at him at third in the MLB. He's not perfect, but he is an athlete. 

Archived