Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

So if we're not trying to compete next year, a lower payroll shouldn't really matter.  What, you want a team full of Davis and Trumbo types, bloated guys that we can't trade with high payrolls?  A losing team with high payroll isn't good.

Here, let's do this.  You tell me how the Orioles would be better with O'Day's contract still on the books.  

Yes, I'll take every team's Chris Davis and Trumbo right now if their contracts align with our rebuild.   Now if they are on the books for the next 10 years, obviously I don't want that.  But 0 WAR players that are making too much money and teams want to get rid of?  Let me have them.  Send me your top prospects and I'll take them.  Build up an elite farm system.  And about the time where all of these prospects I've "bought" are ready to turn us into a competitor, is the time these salaries are coming off the books.  And now I take that money and invest it in legit free agents to supplement the young, cost controlled players I brought.  

That's called a rebuild. 

• Upvote 2

Gausman is making $5.6m this year. He probably gets $7-8m next year and $10-$12m the following in arbitration.

So basically ~19-22m saved. Gausman is probably a 3-4 WAR guy per year. So the Braves are getting something like 7-10 WAR. Plenty of surplus value with what he'll earn.

Those players coming back from the Braves just doesn't add up.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

The Gausman deal looks a lot better if they get VVM.  If not.......ugh.  That said, they can blow everyone else out of the water, so there's no reason they shouldn't get him once eligible.

...Unless he doesn't become eligible until next year and then all the competition is back in play 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ripken said:

Really like the BrewCrew trade.  Really don't like the Atlanta trade.  Of course, I always thought we overvalued the hell out of Gausman.

My thoughts exactly, the AL was killing him, so great move for him and see if he can get to that next level. Maybe Gaus will always flatter to deceive 

Just now, Ripken said:

Really like the BrewCrew trade.  Really don't like the Atlanta trade.  Of course, I always thought we overvalued the hell out of Gausman.

This is what it comes down to. Gausman just hasn't been all that great. Certainly not very consistent. Shoulder issues here and there, along with dropping velocity.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'd have rather held on to Gausman and tried trading him in the offseason and/or trade deadline next year. 

Schoop I understand...but Gausman? Why the rush? Not to get anybody in the Braves Top 10....or a single Top 100 prospect for Gausman? 

I agree - I am completely underwhelmed for the return for Gausman and Schoop.  Let's not forget that if they both perform well they can make a QO and get a supplemental 1st rounder back.  After the Manny and Britton return I was expecting at least a top 5 organizational prospect.  This is crazy

6 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Marlins were making a push for VVM. Yankees got over 3 million this week. Perhaps the Orioles view VVM as the center piece for the future of the organization. Wanted to guarantee his signing.

The deals aren’t mutually exclusive in my mind. Any VMM deal is separate from the return on Gausman - unless they spend the entire allotment on him.

Just now, Reboulet'sStache said:

Yes, I'll take every team's Chris Davis and Trumbo right now if their contracts align with our rebuild.   Now if they are on the books for the next 10 years, obviously I don't want that.  But 0 WAR players that are making too much money and teams want to get rid of?  Let me have them.  Send me your top prospects and I'll take them.  Build up an elite farm system.  And about the time where all of these prospects I've "bought" are ready to turn us into a competitor, is the time these salaries are coming off the books.  And now I take that money and invest it in legit free agents to supplement the young, cost controlled players I brought.  

That's called a rebuild. 

Agree with your general sentiment, but surely there is a max to how much cash you would pay for a prospect, don't you think? 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Luis Ortiz is probably the best SP prospect.

And he might eventually be moved to the pen.

Sorry guys, I think both trades were very underwhelming.  

Hopefully, the international money helps.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

DD offloading O’day is fixing a Brady mistake. 

I don't think that O'Day deal is a Brady mistake. Prior to his contract, he was durable and elite in terms of performance. Contract reasonable. And he has a throwing motion less prone to injury.

1 minute ago, Chito said:

This is what it comes down to. Gausman just hasn't been all that great. Certainly not very consistent. Shoulder issues here and there, along with dropping velocity.

And even if he becomes great, it's not like the O's would be able to re-sign him. Maybe the trade return is better in a year or two. But maybe it's not. Sounds like they think they have a shot to get some top international talent right now. Get them in the pipeline now. Have them closer to the big club in two years. 

• Upvote 1