Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

Looks like the guys and Fangraphs really loved the haul we got for Gausman, Machado, and Schoop.  This is from an Eric Longenhagen chat yesterday:

2:03
Snooker: If you were to rank the various organizations based on player development, who would be up top, who would be at the bottom, and where would the Tigers fit?

2:06
Eric A Longenhagen: Top ones for me are CLE, LAD, NYY, hard not to put BAL at the bottom.  Some orgs, and I think DET falls into this category, are tough to evaluate through this lens because their roster situations have made it difficult.

I have a hard time believing this, even before the trades.  I'd like to chalk this up to lazy writing, just giving the easy and typical answer without considering recent events and developments.  It makes me wonder what is necessary to gain respect from the propsect writing community.

1 minute ago, ToadB22 said:

Looks like the guys and Fangraphs really loved the haul we got for Gausman, Machado, and Schoop.  This is from an Eric Longenhagen chat yesterday:

Snooker: If you were to rank the various organizations based on player development, who would be up top, who would be at the bottom, and where would the Tigers fit?

Eric A Longenhagen: Top ones for me are CLE, LAD, NYY, hard not to put BAL at the bottom.  Some orgs, and I think DET falls into this category, are tough to evaluate through this lens because their roster situations have made it difficult.

I have a hard time believing this, even before the trades.  I'd like to chalk this up to lazy writing, just giving the easy and typical answer without considering recent events and developments.  It makes me wonder what is necessary to gain respect from the propsect writing community.

Hire respectable and responsible reporters. :):):):)

34 minutes ago, ToadB22 said:

This is about player development, not the talent we have.   In other words, he’s saying we are poor at developing our talent.   

Interesting, because I’ve heard Buck say several times that our player development system is the best of any team.   But I’m sure Jake Arrieta disagrees.   

• Upvote 1

For all of you knocking Gausman's ability to miss bats the league average strikeouts per 9 innings is 8.0 and Gausman's career average is 8.2. And there are plenty of > 8.0 guys who are doing well this year. I bolded a few of them below. The take away is, you don't have be an above average strikeout guy to be a good pitcher. 

1 Chris Sale Boston Red Sox SP 13.5
2 Gerrit Cole Houston Astros SP 12.3
3 Max Scherzer Washington Nationals SP 12.1
4 Justin Verlander Houston Astros SP 11.9
5 Trevor Bauer Cleveland Indians SP 11.6
6 James Paxton Seattle Mariners SP 11.4
7 Charlie Morton Houston Astros SP 11.2
8 Jacob deGrom New York Mets SP 11.0
9 Patrick Corbin Arizona Diamondbacks SP 11.0
10 Nick Pivetta Philadelphia Phillies SP 11.0
11 Jon Gray Colorado Rockies SP 10.5
12 Mike Foltynewicz Atlanta Braves SP 10.4
13 Carlos Carrasco Cleveland Indians SP 10.2
14 Luis Severino New York Yankees SP 10.1
15 Blake Snell Tampa Bay Rays SP 10.1
16 Lance McCullers Jr. Houston Astros SP 9.9
17 J.A. Happ New York Yankees SP 9.8
18 German Marquez Colorado Rockies SP 9.7
19 Zack Godley Arizona Diamondbacks SP 9.4
20 Dylan Bundy Baltimore Orioles SP 9.4
21 Jake Odorizzi Minnesota Twins SP 9.2
22 Jose Berrios Minnesota Twins SP 9.2
23 Derek Holland San Francisco Giants SP 9.2
24 Zack Greinke Arizona Diamondbacks SP 9.1
25 Cole Hamels Chicago Cubs SP 9.1
26 David Price Boston Red Sox SP 9.0
27 Rick Porcello Boston Red Sox SP 8.9
28 Zack Wheeler New York Mets SP 8.8
29 Mike Clevinger Cleveland Indians SP 8.8
30 Aaron Nola Philadelphia Phillies SP 8.7
31 Jakob Junis Kansas City Royals SP 8.6
32 Corey Kluber Cleveland Indians SP 8.6
33 Andrew Heaney Los Angeles Angels SP 8.6
34 Luis Castillo Cincinnati Reds SP 8.5
35 Kyle Gibson Minnesota Twins SP 8.5
36 Julio Teheran Atlanta Braves SP 8.3
37 Tyler Anderson Colorado Rockies SP 8.3
38 Junior Guerra Milwaukee Brewers SP 8.3
39 Sean Newcomb Atlanta Braves SP 8.2
40 Luke Weaver St. Louis Cardinals SP 8.0
41 Danny Duffy Kansas City Royals SP 8.0
42 Matthew Boyd Detroit Tigers SP 8.0
43 Alex Wood Los Angeles Dodgers SP 7.9
44 Jose Quintana Chicago Cubs SP 7.9
45 Jameson Taillon Pittsburgh Pirates SP 7.9
46 Marco Gonzales Seattle Mariners SP 7.9
47 Gio Gonzalez Washington Nationals SP 7.9
48 Kyle Hendricks Chicago Cubs SP 7.7
49 Tyson Ross St. Louis Cardinals RP 7.6
50 Tanner Roark Washington Nationals SP 7.5
51 Kyle Freeland Colorado Rockies SP 7.4
52 Jhoulys Chacin Milwaukee Brewers SP 7.4
53 Kevin Gausman Atlanta Braves SP 7.3
54 Jose Urena Miami Marlins SP 7.3
55 Jon Lester Chicago Cubs SP 7.2
56 Chase Anderson Milwaukee Brewers SP 7.2
57 Felix Hernandez Seattle Mariners RP 7.0
58 James Shields Chicago White Sox SP 7.0
59 Mike Fiers Oakland Athletics SP 6.9
60 Dallas Keuchel Houston Astros SP 6.7
61 Jake Arrieta Philadelphia Phillies SP 6.5
62 Sal Romano Cincinnati Reds SP 6.4
63 Andrew Cashner Baltimore Orioles SP 6.4
64 Reynaldo Lopez Chicago White Sox SP 6.3
65 Ivan Nova Pittsburgh Pirates SP 6.3
66 Lucas Giolito Chicago White Sox SP 6.2
67 Alex Cobb Baltimore Orioles SP 6.2
68 Clayton Richard San Diego Padres SP 6.1
69 Miles Mikolas St. Louis Cardinals SP 6.1
70 Sean Manaea Oakland Athletics SP 6.1
71 Mike Leake Seattle Mariners SP 5.6
72 Bartolo Colon Texas Rangers SP 5.0

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe Joe Jordan thought very highly of our player development guys either.  

I think things have improved a lot with DD's hires.  I believe we have more guys moving though the system - particularly non-star and not top five round prospects like Mullins and McKenna and Mancini.  We are seeing good results from Hays and Mountcastle.  On the pitching side, Akin, Lowther, Hall and multiple others are moving through the system and in the majors (Hess, Givens, Wright).  We are a long way from the days with Schoop, Tillman, Britton, Jake, Matusz and a host of others in a somewhat deep system with higher-end talent (though DD has moved or forfeited a lot of draft picks and some decent talent), but we have guys moving through the system.  

I think Tampa does a great job with their guys and have been impressed with Wendle and Bauers.  

I guess I try to see the positive side of things.  I do feel that our development group has improved significantly but it is not an overwhelming system due to trades of decent prospects like Myers, the lack of international guys in the system and the forfeited draft picks.

On the flip side, if this guy things our development team is sub-par, he must think the draft guys are blowing it out of the water when players like Mancini and Mullins are getting to the show.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is about player development, not the talent we have.   In other words, he’s saying we are poor at developing our talent.   

Interesting, because I’ve heard Buck say several times that our player development system is the best of any team.   But I’m sure Jake Arrieta disagrees.   

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-teams-have-drafted-in-this-millennium/

Fangraphs disagrees too.  And they have the stats to back it up. (admittedly from last year but I doubt that much has changed.)

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't believe things just because Buck, or Dan, or Mike Bordick ,or Jim Hunter say them. They are all employees. We are all paid to speak well of out organizations. On the record. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2018 at 1:56 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

For all of you knocking Gausman's ability to miss bats the league average strikeouts per 9 innings is 8.0 and Gausman's career average is 8.2. And there are plenty of > 8.0 guys who are doing well this year. I bolded a few of them below. The take away is, you don't have be an above average strikeout guy to be a good pitcher. 

1 Chris Sale Boston Red Sox SP 13.5
2 Gerrit Cole Houston Astros SP 12.3
3 Max Scherzer Washington Nationals SP 12.1
4 Justin Verlander Houston Astros SP 11.9
5 Trevor Bauer Cleveland Indians SP 11.6
6 James Paxton Seattle Mariners SP 11.4
7 Charlie Morton Houston Astros SP 11.2
8 Jacob deGrom New York Mets SP 11.0
9 Patrick Corbin Arizona Diamondbacks SP 11.0
10 Nick Pivetta Philadelphia Phillies SP 11.0
11 Jon Gray Colorado Rockies SP 10.5
12 Mike Foltynewicz Atlanta Braves SP 10.4
13 Carlos Carrasco Cleveland Indians SP 10.2
14 Luis Severino New York Yankees SP 10.1
15 Blake Snell Tampa Bay Rays SP 10.1
16 Lance McCullers Jr. Houston Astros SP 9.9
17 J.A. Happ New York Yankees SP 9.8
18 German Marquez Colorado Rockies SP 9.7
19 Zack Godley Arizona Diamondbacks SP 9.4
20 Dylan Bundy Baltimore Orioles SP 9.4
21 Jake Odorizzi Minnesota Twins SP 9.2
22 Jose Berrios Minnesota Twins SP 9.2
23 Derek Holland San Francisco Giants SP 9.2
24 Zack Greinke Arizona Diamondbacks SP 9.1
25 Cole Hamels Chicago Cubs SP 9.1
26 David Price Boston Red Sox SP 9.0
27 Rick Porcello Boston Red Sox SP 8.9
28 Zack Wheeler New York Mets SP 8.8
29 Mike Clevinger Cleveland Indians SP 8.8
30 Aaron Nola Philadelphia Phillies SP 8.7
31 Jakob Junis Kansas City Royals SP 8.6
32 Corey Kluber Cleveland Indians SP 8.6
33 Andrew Heaney Los Angeles Angels SP 8.6
34 Luis Castillo Cincinnati Reds SP 8.5
35 Kyle Gibson Minnesota Twins SP 8.5
36 Julio Teheran Atlanta Braves SP 8.3
37 Tyler Anderson Colorado Rockies SP 8.3
38 Junior Guerra Milwaukee Brewers SP 8.3
39 Sean Newcomb Atlanta Braves SP 8.2
40 Luke Weaver St. Louis Cardinals SP 8.0
41 Danny Duffy Kansas City Royals SP 8.0
42 Matthew Boyd Detroit Tigers SP 8.0
43 Alex Wood Los Angeles Dodgers SP 7.9
44 Jose Quintana Chicago Cubs SP 7.9
45 Jameson Taillon Pittsburgh Pirates SP 7.9
46 Marco Gonzales Seattle Mariners SP 7.9
47 Gio Gonzalez Washington Nationals SP 7.9
48 Kyle Hendricks Chicago Cubs SP 7.7
49 Tyson Ross St. Louis Cardinals RP 7.6
50 Tanner Roark Washington Nationals SP 7.5
51 Kyle Freeland Colorado Rockies SP 7.4
52 Jhoulys Chacin Milwaukee Brewers SP 7.4
53 Kevin Gausman Atlanta Braves SP 7.3
54 Jose Urena Miami Marlins SP 7.3
55 Jon Lester Chicago Cubs SP 7.2
56 Chase Anderson Milwaukee Brewers SP 7.2
57 Felix Hernandez Seattle Mariners RP 7.0
58 James Shields Chicago White Sox SP 7.0
59 Mike Fiers Oakland Athletics SP 6.9
60 Dallas Keuchel Houston Astros SP 6.7
61 Jake Arrieta Philadelphia Phillies SP 6.5
62 Sal Romano Cincinnati Reds SP 6.4
63 Andrew Cashner Baltimore Orioles SP 6.4
64 Reynaldo Lopez Chicago White Sox SP 6.3
65 Ivan Nova Pittsburgh Pirates SP 6.3
66 Lucas Giolito Chicago White Sox SP 6.2
67 Alex Cobb Baltimore Orioles SP 6.2
68 Clayton Richard San Diego Padres SP 6.1
69 Miles Mikolas St. Louis Cardinals SP 6.1
70 Sean Manaea Oakland Athletics SP 6.1
71 Mike Leake Seattle Mariners SP 5.6
72 Bartolo Colon Texas Rangers SP 5.0

Minimum 10 starts, median ERA+ of pitchers with:

> 10 K/9:  134

9-9.99 K/9: 107

8-8.99: K/9: 105

7-7.99 K/9: 101

6-6.99 K/9: 93

< 6 K/9:  103 (but also by far the smallest of any of the groups).

Can you be a good starter with a below average K rate?  Sure, it's possible.  Is it far more likely that a good pitcher has a high strikeout rate?  Absolutely.  It's as true as it has always been that pitchers with the highest strikeout rates tend to be the best pitchers.

16 hours ago, Hallas said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-teams-have-drafted-in-this-millennium/

Fangraphs disagrees too.  And they have the stats to back it up. (admittedly from last year but I doubt that much has changed.)

That is some great information - somewhat depressing, but great information.  As MM puts up 5+ WAR per year, hopefully, we should vacate the bottom tier as more guys get to the majors.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2018 at 5:31 PM, Finisher said:

Seems like some people are just cool with moving Gausman because he's been inconsistent and they were sick of him.

That's fine.

But the package we got is not going to help us and it's pathetic compared to what Tampa got for Archer. I think we mainly got unlucky that Tampa decided to finally move Archer. I think we get 2 of the 3 pieces Tampa got had Archer not been on the block.

Out of all of the trades, the Gausman return was the weakest and that's because the orioles seemed to be more worried about shedding salary (O'day) then getting the top prospects that they could get.

It's too early to to judge what the Orioles got in return, but I will admit that I would have liked to have gotten one of the Braves top 100 prospects for a year and half worth of Gausman. Then again, I probably would not have gotten rid of O'Days contract with that kind of return and I'm sure that was a huge part of this team.

Now, if the Jean Carlos Encarnacion lottery ticket pays off (and yes I have serious concerns over the K-BB ratio despite the tools) then this won't look so bad, but I would have tried to hold out for Fried or Allard and not made the deal unless I could have gotten one of them.

Saying all that, I also don't know what kind of pressure Duquette was under to shed salary for next year. The O'day contract was an albatross, not a Davis albatross, but a Trumbo-like albatross so shedding his salary was a good thing, especially if that money is going to be used for the upgrading the scouting, infrastructure, and international scene (which let's not forget the Orioles did get international slot money).

Just on players received back alone this trade doesn't look good and won't look good unless Encarnacion becomes something, but the international money and losing O'day albatross contract have to be taking into consideration when looking at the big picture.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Out of all of the trades, the Gausman return was the weakest and that's because the orioles seemed to be more worried about shedding salary (O'day) then getting the top prospects that they could get.

It's too early to to judge what the Orioles got in return, but I will admit that I would have liked to have gotten one of the Braves top 100 prospects for a year and half worth of Gausman. Then again, I probably would not have gotten rid of O'Days contract with that kind of return and I'm sure that was a huge part of this team.

Now, if the Jean Carlos Encarnacion lottery ticket pays off (and yes I have serious concerns over the K-BB ratio despite the tools) then this won't look so bad, but I would have tried to hold out for Fried or Allard and not made the deal unless I could have gotten one of them.

Saying all that, I also don't know what kind of pressure Duquette was under to shed salary for next year. The O'day contract was an albatross, not a Davis albatross, but a Trumbo-like albatross so shedding his salary was a good thing, especially if that money is going to be used for the upgrading the scouting, infrastructure, and international scene (which let's not forget the Orioles did get international slot money).

Just on players received back alone this trade doesn't look good and won't look good unless Encarnacion becomes something, but the international money and losing O'day albatross contract have to be taking into consideration when looking at the big picture.

Two and one third seasons of Gausman left before FA.  Makes the deal even worse.

Another pretty good comp for Gausman is Clay Buchholz.  He's had a really uneven career, with better "best" seasons, but a few more years where he's less than useless.  Through his Arb1 year, Buchholz accrued 9.8 WAR, then had a good Arb2 year.  Gausman accrued 8.1 WAR by his Arb1 year.  Gausman's Arb2 year probably isn't going to be as good as Buchholz's Arb2 year but if he pitches well for Atlanta, it will be respectable.  I think Buchholz's career is a little closer to Gausman's than Archer's.  While it's partially due to perception of the respective orgs, I certainly think that 2011/2012 Buchholz being traded for a comparable package as Gausman at that time would have been seen as highway robbery.

• Upvote 1