Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

33 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 19th)

Mullins already has 5 Doubles in only 33 Plate Appearances (29 At-Bats.)

o

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He's going to be a doubles machine. He has a quick bat, and can pull the inside fastball down the line. He reminds me of Brian Roberts, in that way.

o

Brian Roberts holds the All-Time Major League record (1876 - Present) for doubles by a switch-hitter in a single season.

o

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love young guys that come up hitting doubles.

Some of them wind up developing HR power, but even if they do, I think the skill of being able to hit doubles lasts longer.   It declines much more slowly at the back end of a career than the ability to hit HRs does.

Plus doubles are fun to watch.   In this three true outcomes era, getting to see balls bang off walls and runners coming around to score and outfielders having to use their arm is more rare than it used to be.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

How has his fielding looked so far?  I've had few chances to watch the O's the last 2 weeks.

He's clearly going to get to more balls than anyone who has played CF for us for a long time.   There have been a few hiccups, ball in and out of his glove, a misjudgement here or there.   But that's all teachable.   He's got speed that isn't teachable.

51 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And a triple machine too.  Didn't the O's set the all time record for fewest triples in a year last year?

He'll hit a few for sure.  It's difficult to hit triples playing in Camden Yards though.  

If he was playing half his games in one of those big stadiums in the AL West he could probably lead the league. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He'll hit a few for sure.  It's difficult to hit triples playing in Camden Yards though.  

If he was playing half his games in one of those big stadiums in the AL West he could probably lead the league. 

Once again folks need to temper their expectations a bit.

2 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Mullins is like one of the only things I care about on the team.

I'd never seen Mullins play in the minors, had nothing to go on but Luke's and others scouting reports and Mullins numbers in the minors. 

Honestly, I was expecting we'd see something like Xavier Avery II.

But I've made a point to see all of The Entertainers' at bats, and the guy simply looks like he belongs. Hays at the end of the year last year looked overmatched, and maybe Mullins will too once there is a book on him. But right now, Cedric looks like the leadoff hitter we have not had since BRob.

Small samples, temper expectations, blah blah blah. He's exciting, he's young, he's athletic, he's an Oriole, and damn it, I need something positive to latch onto.

Archived