What’s happened to Miguel Castro?

Frobby

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He retired from coaching and works in Atlanta’s front office.   Was here in 2014-16, when Gausman had his best two seasons.   

"Wallace, 70, and bullpen coach Dom Chiti, 57, both left Showalter’s staff after three years at the end of last season, in part due to what Wallace described as Anderson’s rising influence and interference."

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/brady-andersons-role-with-orioles-a-topic-of-debate-032017

(Scroll down a few paragraphs)

20 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Or maybe Castro is the problem?

Yeah. What I quoted was a response to the idea that McDowell is the problem. If Castro is the problem, but could be fixed then why is it ok to howl about the pitch coach being fired (and I’m not saying he should be retained)? If people need someone to blame then Martinez seems a likely scapegoat since he’s Castro’s ‘private tutor’.

16 hours ago, Finisher said:

"Wallace, 70, and bullpen coach Dom Chiti, 57, both left Showalter’s staff after three years at the end of last season, in part due to what Wallace described as Anderson’s rising influence and interference."

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/brady-andersons-role-with-orioles-a-topic-of-debate-032017

(Scroll down a few paragraphs)

Yes, but the article also says Wallace had planned to retire from coaching in any event.    He might have stayed in a player development role with the Orioles but Anderson was part of the reason he chose to return to the Braves.    As I recall, Wallace had wanted to retire from coaching after 2015 but Buck convinced him to stay on the job for another year.

o

(AUGUST 30th)

Castro has looked better in his last 3 outings.

In 4 Innings pitched, the only run that he has allowed was a solo home run in a 2-inning outing against the Yankees.

In that span he has 0 Walks, 3 Strikeouts, and his Strikes-to-Balls ratio has been very good: ) 56 Pitches )(40 )Strikes, )16 )Balls.)

o

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, Tx Oriole said:

Has any pitching coach picked by Buck worked recently?

I have had a lot of questions about Buck's pitching coaches, especially after the collapse of the staff that pitched so well during the last third of the 2009 season and then saw their coach (Kranitz) not get renewed by Buck. But it should be noted that David Hess gave a lot of credit to Roger McDowell for his recent improvement during his interview with Rick Dempsey and Tom Davis on O's Extra http://www.masnsports.com/media.php?show_id=3540850&p=

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I have had a lot of questions about Buck's pitching coaches, especially after the collapse of the staff that pitched so well during the last third of the 2009 season and then saw their coach (Kranitz) not renewed by Buck. But it should be noted that David Hess gave a lot of credit to Roger McDowell for his recent improvement during his rather lengthy interview with Rick Dempsey and that other big MASN guy in a suit on O's Extra http://www.masnsports.com/media.php?show_id=3540850&p=

The "other big MASN guy," Jim Palmer calls Tom "Are you going to eat that? Davis.

I don't think anything happened to him.  Career 5.12 FIP in 172 ML innings, 4.6 BB/9 and 6.3 K/9.  He just simply isn't very good.  It's not clear to me he's more valuable than Mike Wright.

He's also been asked to throw a lot of innings since he's been here, I'm sure that hasn't helped.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 30th)

Castro has looked better in his last 3 outings.

In 4 Innings pitched, the only run that he has allowed was a solo home run in a 2-inning outing against the Yankees.

In that span he has 0 Walks, 3 Strikeouts, and his Strikes-to-Balls ratio has been very good: ) 56 Pitches )(40 )Strikes, )16 )Balls.)

o

o

(vs. ROYALS, 9/01)

Castro was excellent tonight.

He entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd Base with only 1 Out, and the Orioles desperately trying to keep their deficit at one run. 

He recorded 2 consecutive Outs to strand both baserunners, and then went 3-UP/3-DOWN in the next inning to keep the Orioles in the game.

He faced 5 batters, and recorded 5 Outs.

In his last 4 outings combined he has 0 Walks, 3 Strikeouts, and his Strikes-to-Balls ratio is: ) 78 Pitches )(52 )Strikes, )26 )Balls.)

o

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ROYALS, 9/01)

Castro was excellent tonight.

He entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd Base with only 1 Out, and the Orioles desperately trying to keep their deficit at one run. 

He recorded 2 consecutive Outs to strand both baserunners, and then went 3-UP/3-DOWN in the next inning to keep the Orioles in the game.

He faced 5 batters, and recorded 5 Outs.

In his last 4 outings combined he has 0 Walks, 3 Strikeouts, and his Strikes-to-Balls ratio is: ) 78 Pitches )(52 )Strikes, )26 )Balls.)

o

Too bad that Givens was off. A winning team always talks about parts of the lineup or pitching staff picking each other up. Rare for the O's this year.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Miguel Castro has quietly put together a nice little stretch. His last 30 games,

36.1 IP, 36K, 1.27 WHIP, 3.22 ERA

For the season,

Home - 6.75 ERA

Away -  3.18 ERA

He’ll be arbitration eligible this offseason. It was looking like he could be a non tender, but I think we’ll offer him arbitration. 

• Upvote 3