Starting Pitchers, 2019 - 2021

NCRaven

I've listed 20 +1 starting pitchers in our minor league system (okay, some have had some rookie time this year in the majors).  For which pitchers is there an argument to be made that they can be major league starters?  Which ones are only dreaming?  What order would the ones you think have a legitimate shot be in?  Here's mine.

DL Hall, Grayson Rodgriguez, Dillon Tate, Luis Ortiz, Hunter Harvey,

Keegan Akin, Dean Kremer, Zac Lowther, Brenan Hanifee, Cameron Bishop, 

Michael Bauman, Yefrey Ramirez, Alex Wells, Bruce Zimmerman, Cody Sedlock,

Matthias Dietz, David Hess, Josh Rogers, John Means, Cristian Alvarado, and

Brian Gonzalez.

Anyone that I've missed that should be on the list of possibles?

Convince me that Tate and Harvey rank higher than Akin and Lowther.   As to Tate, he’s a year older than Akin, drafted a year earlier, but is playing in the same league and his numbers are inferior to Akin’s.   It’s slightly tougher to compare him to Lowther, but Lowther is playing a level up from where Tate was at 22, and his high A numbers are a bit better than Tate’s at 23.

As to Harvey, I am skeptical he’ll ever stay healthy.    If he ever does, I’ll consider it manna from heaven.  

I would go with:

Top Tier - Guys with #1-#2 ceiling, no major question marks

Hall, Gray Rod, Akin

Second Tier - #3-#4 ceiling close to the majors, or #1-#2 ceiling with health or progression issues

Harvey, Sedlock, Ortiz, Kremer

Third Tier (a) - Bona Fide prospects, but still need to progress

Hanifee, Bishop, Kline, Bauman, Zimmerman, Lowther, Tate, Knight

Third Tier (b) - guys with established success at least through AA but likely ceiling of #5/longman

Means, Hess, Yefry, Wells, Yacobonis, Melville, Wojcie, Rogers

Fourth Tier - longshots

Gonzalez, Long, Peralta, Dietz, Ysla

Also, I have been saying this for two years now, but when healthy I think Bleier deserves a shot and would put him in Tier 2.

I think that, more than the specific order, it seems to me that we have a large number of starting pitchers that have a legitimate chance to start in the bigs.  And, some of them will likely be effective relievers.  It's not Atlanta depth/quality, but it may be the most depth along with quality that we've had in years.

Archived