FanGraphs ranks O’s minor league system 28th

Frobby

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The idea with Gausman was to sign international prospects with the acquired bonus slot pool money and well... ?‍♂️

Yeah, like I said in another reply it was a very poorly thought out and executed plan. The Orioles idea of beefing up their international presence was probably just sending Brady to a Spanish hooked on phonics course. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We definitely didn't. It was a pathetic fire sale and poorly executed plan since they seemed to put all their eggs in the international basic. I know people have been singing Jonathan Villar's praises, but why would a team in a full rebuild target a player like that as opposed to a prospect? It makes no sense. And if that was the best they could do they should have waited and shopped him during the winter meetings. Same with Gausman. To trade him to the Braves, an organization so stacked with minor league arms they don't know what to do with them, and to not get one of them back is mind boggling.    

In hindsight they should have focused on talent and not depth. Talent, regardless of position. Acquire the best young talent you can then worry about log jams later. I get the sense they were trying to be way too precise in their trades. Just like the pre-season rumor that they specifically wanted to MLB ready arms for Machado. When you make a statement like that you turn at least half of the teams off. Hard to create a bidding war when you're making teams thread a tiny little needle. 

All true.  

My biggest beef is that they should have done this in 2017 with more time on the clocks for these players.  I think we would have gotten better talent back.  But oh well.  

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We definitely didn't. It was a pathetic fire sale and poorly executed plan since they seemed to put all their eggs in the international basic. I know people have been singing Jonathan Villar's praises, but why would a team in a full rebuild target a player like that as opposed to a prospect? It makes no sense. And if that was the best they could do they should have waited and shopped him during the winter meetings. Same with Gausman. To trade him to the Braves, an organization so stacked with minor league arms they don't know what to do with them, and to not get one of them back is mind boggling.    

In hindsight they should have focused on talent and not depth. Talent, regardless of position. Acquire the best young talent you can then worry about log jams later. I get the sense they were trying to be way too precise in their trades. Just like the pre-season rumor that they specifically wanted to MLB ready arms for Machado. When you make a statement like that you turn at least half of the teams off. Hard to create a bidding war when you're making teams thread a tiny little needle. 

I don't think the trades were overall.    I'm not that thrilled with the Gausman deal, but I think the other three were pretty solid.   But ask me again in a year when we see what all these guys are doing. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think the trades were overall.    I'm not that thrilled with the Gausman deal, but I think the other three were pretty solid.   But ask me again in a year when we see what all these guys are doing. 

Agreed. Time will tell. Well at least for  the trades where we acquired actual players and not hypothetical international money that is. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. Time will tell. Well at least for  the trades where we acquired actual players and not hypothetical international money that is. 

Even in the Atlanta deal, I think Encarnacion is kind of intriguing and Zimmerman could be a useful placeholder while we wait for guys like Hall and Rodriguez to bubble up through the system.   I’m not really a fan of Cumberland or Phillips, though.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Even in the Atlanta deal, I think Encarnacion is kind of intriguing and Zimmerman could be a useful placeholder while we wait for guys like Hall and Rodriguez to bubble up through the system.   I’m not really a fan of Cumberland or Phillips, though.   

But I would expect more for 2 1/3 years of Gausman, especially considering how flush with pitching talent their system is.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But I would expect more for 2 1/3 years of Gausman, especially considering how flush with pitching talent their system is.

I already said I was disappointed with that trade.   But it may not be a complete washout if Encarnacion pans out.   

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, that is quite a slap in the face after all the prospects we acquired last year. I can't say I disagree, though, especially about Vlad Jr.

Well, prospects like Vlad Jr. only come around once every 5-10 years.  We probably had one of the last ones, in Machado, which is likely one of the data points Fangraphs uses when coming up with dollar projections for ~70+ rated prospects.

For what it's worth, Machado's production was worth 234 million on the FA market.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

All true.  

My biggest beef is that they should have done this in 2017 with more time on the clocks for these players.  I think we would have gotten better talent back.  But oh well.  

Colin Moran and a Tommy John?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per Fangraphs, there are 131 prospects ranked 50 or higher, and we have zero of them.    Tampa has 9, the Blue Jays have 5 (including Vlad Jr., the sole player rated 70), and the Yankees have 3.

Contrast that with the OH rankings, which rate 11 O’s prospects at 50 or higher.    Some of that is probably FG just being stingier on grades overall, but clearly they really don’t like our prospects.   

On the other hand, we do have a ton of 40-45 guys per FG.   We actually are tied for 6th in most prospects ranked 40 or higher.    So, what we have is a lot of depth but no real premium talent by their estimation.  

I know you weren’t trying to say that OH overrates the teams prospects, but before anyone else gets that takeaway, 2080 baseball gave 10 O’s prospects a 50 or better (2 - 55s) and that’s without having a report on Grayson Rodriguez. Baseball America will likely have a similar number. 

Archived