Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I didn’t see the link to the article you mention. Does it go into detail about his defense improving to at least league average?

The one I posted days ago that you said you would read.

And no, it doesn't mention Sisco at all.  Doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I didn’t see the link to the article you mention. Does it go into detail about his defense improving to at least league average?

Why does it need to be "at least league average?"

Ostensibly 50% of the league is below average.  I don't think there's anyone who thinks that he will necessarily become one of the top defensive catchers in the league, but if he is somewhere between the 25th percentile and 50th percentile defensively, and has the type of bat projected, then that's an incredibly valuable piece.

14 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Ostensibly 50% of the league is below average.  I don't think there's anyone who thinks that he will necessarily become one of the top defensive catchers in the league, but if he is somewhere between the 25th percentile and 50th percentile defensively, and has the type of bat projected, then that's an incredibly valuable piece.

From what I saw when he was up her was other than throwing his defense was pretty sound.  Players don't steal that much anymore.  I would like to see him given the starter job.  Along with bringing DJ Stewart up and Mountcastle.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The one I posted days ago that you said you would read.

And no, it doesn't mention Sisco at all.  Doesn't mean it isn't relevant.

Oh, that article. Yes I read it, and I understand the point, and if Sisco hits well enough to compensate for his defense, then there’s no reason not to call him up, especially because Austin Wynns is hitting so badly.

15 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Catcher is the most important defense position on the field. It’s much more than just throwing out runners or blocking pitches.

If Sisco is able to hit as well up here as down there, I’m happy to let him replace Wynns for a while,But he will have to hit very well indeed if his defense doesn’t improve.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Oh, that article. Yes I read it, and I understand the point, and if Sisco hits well enough to compensate for his defense, then there’s no reason not to call him up, especially because Austin Wynns is hitting so badly.

Wynns has had 14 plate appearances.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Wynns has had 14 plate appearances.

I like Wynns and want him to stay up. But if he doesn’t hit, I wouldn’t have a problem with Sisco replacing him eventually, so long as Sisco hits well

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

From what I saw when he was up her was other than throwing his defense was pretty sound.  Players don't steal that much anymore.  I would like to see him given the starter job.  Along with bringing DJ Stewart up and Mountcastle.   

Severino has a 823 OPS, controls the running game, He is a good defensive catcher and pitchers love to throw to him.  Why would you give Sisco the starting catching job and sit Severino?

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Catcher is the most important defense position on the field. It’s much more than just throwing out runners or blocking pitches.

If Sisco is able to hit as well up here as down there, I’m happy to let him replace Wynns for a while,But he will have to hit very well indeed if his defense doesn’t improve.

I don’t dispute that catcher is one of the most important defensive positions. That said, by definition 15 teams will have a starting catcher that is brow MLB average defensively at any given time. One doesn’t have to be above the average to be a positive contributor, particularly if the bat is well above average for a catcher. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Severino has a 823 OPS, controls the running game, He is a good defensive catcher and pitchers love to throw to him.  Why would you give Sisco the starting catching job and sit Severino?

When do pitchers publicly say anything bad about throwing to a catcher who is still on the team?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When do pitchers publicly say anything bad about throwing to a catcher who is still on the team?

o

It happened once at Brewster High School, in June of 1981.

o

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Wynns hit well enough last year in 118 PAs (as opposed to this year's 14 coming off an injury).