Elias Progress Thread

Tony-OH

19 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I too think Hays will be a better ML hitter than Mullins. I was mainly giving Natty some grief because he’s been pasting spring training stats into threads for several days. But the stats are still not very useful. Hays looked great, but all the caveats about SSS and standard spring training competition issues are still true. Super encouraging, but certainly not predictive. Rickard out hit Hays this spring but I don’t think you put much credence into that. That said, I am disappointed Hays didn’t make the starting roster. I think it’s irrelevant in the long run, but I want to see him play. Baseball is entertainment after all. 

Here's another  one for you...So like what analytic puts Bundy in the rotation...It ain't these two stats, ERA 10.80,  BAA .407. And he starts tonight.  

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

Here's another  one for you...So like what analytic puts Bundy in the rotation...It ain't these two stats, ERA 10.80,  BAA .407. And he starts tonight.  

4.4 WAR over the past 3 MLB seasons (better than the competition in the org), 17.3% K-BB% in 2018 (23rd among SP in the majors last year), insane 50% whiff rate on the slider

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

4.4 WAR over the past 3 MLB seasons (better than the competition in the org), 17.3% K-BB% in 2018 (23rd among SP in the majors last year), insane 50% whiff rate on the slider

Bundys ERA has gone up each of the last 3 MLB seasons 4.02, 4.24, 5.45. Last year he gave up 41 HR which led the Majors by far. He had the worst ERA of our 5 regular starters. Does anyone think he is improving? 

39 minutes ago, Natty said:

?

That's the analytics the Orioles are using when it comes to Bundy. 

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

Bundys ERA has gone up each of the last 3 MLB seasons 4.02, 4.24, 5.45. Last year he gave up 41 HR which led the Majors by far. He had the worst ERA of our 5 regular starters. Does anyone think he is improving? 

You are totally correct, of course, that Bundy stunk it up. But Luke is also correct that Bundy had an elite SO rate even last year. I personally have lost most of my hope for him, but strikeouts are a strong peripheral. The Orioles are hoping he gets better. The slider is still very nasty. Also remember that the Orioles are not really trying to win games this year. If Bundy crashes and burns again, then he's helping the Orioles get that number one pick in 2020. 

8 minutes ago, Natty said:

Did you watch him pitch before he got hurt mid-season? Ace-like. Complete dominance with the slider.

The fastball stinks. So. That sucks!

But he's better than a 5.45 if healthy.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Did you watch him pitch before he got hurt mid-season? Ace-like. Complete dominance with the slider.

The fastball stinks. So. That sucks!

But he's better than a 5.45 if healthy.

I saw when he sprained his ankle running bases in the interleague game, and he never pitched good again. But the team said repeatedly that's not because of the ankle injury. Hmmm. I could even see Bundy walking off the mound after innings with a limp. But hey I'm not a coach or manager just a fan.

Well I was wrong about Bundy. He turned it all around tonight. He actually looked good. Throwing strikes. Getting ahead of batters. His breaking ball looked great and he was getting lots of swings and misses. No walks. No HR. Looked like he still had plenty left when they took him out in the 6th. I have renewed faith in him right when I was about to give up. 

10 hours ago, Natty said:

Well I was wrong about Bundy. He turned it all around tonight. He actually looked good. Throwing strikes. Getting ahead of batters. His breaking ball looked great and he was getting lots of swings and misses. No walks. No HR. Looked like he still had plenty left when they took him out in the 6th. I have renewed faith in him right when I was about to give up. 

He looked better last night. I wouldn't go so far as "good." Lot of hard contact. Esp. on the FB. It was a very encouraging outing tho.

I saw one camera shot of him throwing more in the pen after he was taken out.

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

He looked better last night. I wouldn't go so far as "good." Lot of hard contact. Esp. on the FB. It was a very encouraging outing tho.

I saw one camera shot of him throwing more in the pen after he was taken out.

CB looked good, it was a hammer when I saw him in the minors, easy plus. It's probably not going to be that good again with the diminished arm speed, but an effective CB will help keep guys off the fastball because the movement profiles of the two pitches play well together. 

14 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

CB looked good, it was a hammer when I saw him in the minors, easy plus. It's probably not going to be that good again with the diminished arm speed, but an effective CB will help keep guys off the fastball because the movement profiles of the two pitches play well together. 

If he can just find a way to live at 92mph, I feel like that's such a big difference than his 90. When he does occasionally hit 92 as he did last night a few times, it seems to have a little more movement to it. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

If he can just find a way to live at 92mph, I feel like that's such a big difference than his 90. When he does occasionally hit 92 as he did last night a few times, it seems to have a little more movement to it. 

I agree, 90 just doesn't play without huge movement or deception and he doesn't offer either of those. He needs some velocity. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

As Attendance dwindles and the pitching continues to look bad how long will fans give Elias?

I know it's early May but I know people who love the Orioles are already talking about the Ravens and have written off the Orioles.

They have no plans to go to any Orioles games during this rebuild.  I'm amazed how many people think Elias is not going about things the right way.  He has shrunk the payroll too much and his replacements appear to be strictly here to land a second #1 pick in 2020. Okay ! So we land the best catcher in baseball next month. Who will it be in 2020. The next best pitcher? Then what?

Horrible attendance Friday night with storms and rain forecast that never arrived.  Blown forecast by all of the weather people cost them thousands of seats unsold as a result. The city falling apart and crime out of control is not helping things.  Baltimore is not used to being called the worst team in baseball. With millions in cut payroll and a roster that could have been a lot better with just a few inexpensive free agent signings it lends itself to minimal fan interest with almost 5 months to go. Will the 10,000 who show up on non giveaway nights shrink to 5000 in July and after?  Will Elias spend some money before the trade deadline and move some players and prospects for some young veteran type players ?

Who can sell tickets on the current roster? I think a lot of people are disappointed in Cobb who has done nothing with  his big pay check looking really bad.  In spite of what some may think a team still needs a closer. If we had one we would have won  at least 3 or 4 more games this season. Please help the team and DFA Castro. We could have signed Gio Gonzalez recently to help our rotation and Drew Pomeranz was available in the off season for a low salary. Clay Buchholz is working his way back and will probably be DFA''D by Toronto who iis cleaning house it's rumored in the next few weeks. We can get one or two of these pitchers in the coming weeks if Elias will spend some money. Trying not to get depressed. I'm a season ticket holder and going to games with hardly anybody there is kind of eerie.

1 hour ago, section18 said:

As Attendance dwindles and the pitching continues to look bad how long will fans give Elias?

I know it's early May but I know people who love the Orioles are already talking about the Ravens and have written off the Orioles.

They have no plans to go to any Orioles games during this rebuild.  I'm amazed how many people think Elias is not going about things the right way.  He has shrunk the payroll too much and his replacements appear to be strictly here to land a second #1 pick in 2020. Okay ! So we land the best catcher in baseball next month. Who will it be in 2020. The next best pitcher? Then what?

Horrible attendance Friday night with storms and rain forecast that never arrived.  Blown forecast by all of the weather people cost them thousands of seats unsold as a result. The city falling apart and crime out of control is not helping things.  Baltimore is not used to being called the worst team in baseball. With millions in cut payroll and a roster that could have been a lot better with just a few inexpensive free agent signings it lends itself to minimal fan interest with almost 5 months to go. Will the 10,000 who show up on non giveaway nights shrink to 5000 in July and after?  Will Elias spend some money before the trade deadline and move some players and prospects for some young veteran type players ?

Who can sell tickets on the current roster? I think a lot of people are disappointed in Cobb who has done nothing with  his big pay check looking really bad.  In spite of what some may think a team still needs a closer. If we had one we would have won  at least 3 or 4 more games this season. Please help the team and DFA Castro. We could have signed Gio Gonzalez recently to help our rotation and Drew Pomeranz was available in the off season for a low salary. Clay Buchholz is working his way back and will probably be DFA''D by Toronto who iis cleaning house it's rumored in the next few weeks. We can get one or two of these pitchers in the coming weeks if Elias will spend some money. Trying not to get depressed. I'm a season ticket holder and going to games with hardly anybody there is kind of eerie.

Are you seriously posting this right now?  It has been made blatantly clear since last July that we are rebuilding, and you are questioning the direction of the organization?  We are a little more than 1 month into the season, and you are already frustrated with Mike Elias and questioning his decisions?  I’m sorry, but it’s posts like this that frustrate the hell out of me.  The front office has a long-term plan to rebuild every aspect of the baseball operation, and it’s going to take some time.  We are going to be losing a lot the next 2-3 years, but a foundation is going to be built that will allow the Orioles to be competitive for a long-time, and they will spend the money on free agents when the time is right.  Right now, the resources are being allocated to scouting, player development, analytics, and technology, which is where they should be after years of neglect by ownership.

If you can’t accept what the plan is and be patient with it, I don’t know what to tell you.  Believe me, I would much rather watch a winning Orioles team right now, but this was to be expected, and the FO has been very transparent about what the plan is, so to question it right now after 1 month of the season just boggles my mind.  Keep an eye on what’s going on in the minor leagues, and focus on the upcoming draft, international signing period and trade deadline.  That’s when things are going to start getting really interesting and we’ll start to see the early fruit of Mike Elias’ vision & labor.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

There are players in our minor league system that could be part of our rebuild right now. Why aren't they here?  It took forever it eems but they did finally get rid of wright. Slowly we are getting the right roster but others are obvious.Tony mentioned Williams yesterday. our manager was asked about Mountcastle yesterday n the radio by Roch and all he said was he is playing well in so many words.  He can be moved around and DH. They are fcused on CD right now and don't want to disrupt the 1B platoon. Mpuntvastle is hitting .342 the last I checked with a .369 OBP. He should be brought up now. They are listing him as a 3B but he can play 1B on a platoon and DH.