Elias Progress Thread

Tony-OH

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Im torn, I like that they want to use analytics to help improve the team and the play of the team.

But, it seams like every breath is all about analytics, and at the end of the day, you still have to play the game on the field.

Every breath is about analytics because that is new to the Orioles media and most of the fan base, so they are interested in hearing about all that.    I guess we could go back to just quotes about how player X is in the best shape of his life, the ball is coming out of player Y’s hand well, etc., but it’s more interesting to hear about the aspect of the team that is new and different.     In reality there is still plenty going on that is just good old fashioned baseball.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Every breath is about analytics because that is new to the Orioles media and most of the fan base, so they are interested in hearing about all that.    I guess we could go back to just quotes about how player X is in the best shape of his life, the ball is coming out of player Y’s hand well, etc., but it’s more interesting to hear about the aspect of the team that is new and different.     In reality there is still plenty going on that is just good old fashioned baseball.

Good point.

• Upvote 1

Analytics are only useful if they affect the product on the field either in player selection, player development, or game strategy. Analytics are really just the quantification of as much of the game as possible in order to replace "feel" with fact and make better decisions. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Analytics are only useful if they affect the product on the field either in player selection, player development, or game strategy. Analytics are really just the quantification of as much of the game as possible in order to replace "feel" with fact and make better decisions. 

This is an area we haven't discussed a whole lot of yet. I'm pretty interested to see what we see, if anything, in the area of in-game strategy vis a vis analytics.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is an area we haven't discussed a whole lot of yet. I'm pretty interested to see what we see, if anything, in the area of in-game strategy vis a vis analytics.

A lot of that is pitch type and location selection, that's where the data is really robust. Both on the hitting and pitching side. 

Shifts are a result of analytics, but those are already commonplace. They may continue to get more sophisticated in the way they are deployed.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, Luke-OH said:

About as concise and complete take on analytics as I've heard. Well said, @Luke-OH!

On 2/19/2019 at 9:42 AM, Luke-OH said:

I'm a bit late in giving props, but this comment is spot on. Analytics can help put organizations / players in a better position to succeed, but at the end of the day the games still need to be played and the uncertainty of the outcome is why we watch.