Elias Progress Thread

Tony-OH

9 hours ago, atomic said:

What does bringing up Mountcastle have to do with this years record?  The pitching is terrible and they will finish in last place with or without Mountcastle.  He is ready for the big leagues so he should be brought up. Nunez and Ruiz aren’t going to help the club to turn into winners down the road so I don’t see why we are stopping development of a player to keep them around.

Keeping Mouncastle at Norfolk learning 1B is his development. Every day at 1B which he is no way getting with the Orioles.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Keeping Mouncastle at Norfolk learning 1B is his development. Every day at 1B which he is no way getting with the Orioles.

Agreed. Mountcastle has played 24 games at 1B and just 4 at 3B thus far with Norfolk.
His future is at 1B, while they get him some time at third to have him available to play there in a pinch. 
He has made three errors at 1B in 197 chances, while having two errors in just eleven chances at 3B.

As @scOtt said, he needs more time to acclimate to 1B and won't get that chance in Baltimore until changes are made.
I believe those changes will occur before the start of next season, if not well before.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Nunez is tied for 8th in the AL in HRs and you want to DFA him. Yeah, that makes perfect sense (eye roll).

Home runs are sure judge of a players worth.  That is why Trumbo and Davis got so much money and rightfully so.

50 minutes ago, atomic said:

Home runs are sure judge of a players worth.  That is why Trumbo and Davis got so much money and rightfully so.

The Orioles currently have someone on their roster who's producing as much as most would expect Mountcastle to do in his first stint in the majors. That was my point. Like it or not playing the service time game is part of baseball. Every team does it. That's clearly what's happening and I'm fine with it because this is a lost season anyway. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

The Orioles currently have someone on their roster who's producing as much as most would expect Mountcastle to do in his first stint in the majors. That was my point. Like it or not playing the service time game is part of baseball. Every team does it. That's clearly what's happening and I'm fine with it because this is a lost season anyway. 

Right!  The Padres did it with their top prospect!

oh wait....

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right!  The Padres did it with their top prospect!

oh wait....

I think signing Machado kind of forced the Padres to expedite their timeline for Tatis. I'm sure Manny was lobbying for Tatis to make the roster from day 1. And the team has finished under .500 since 2010. As bad as the Orioles have been this year and last they haven't been "that" bad.  I think Tatis (and Paddack) making the OD roster was also a show of faith to the fans that they were ready to take the next step, even though it was probably premature. The Orioles aren't there yet...

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I think signing Machado kind of forced the Padres to expedite their timeline for Tatis. I'm sure Manny was lobbying for Tatis to make the roster from day 1. And the team has finished under .500 since 2010. As bad as the Orioles have been this year and last they haven't been "that" bad.  I think Tatis (and Paddack) making the OD roster was also a show of faith to the fans that they were ready to take the next step, even though it was probably premature. The Orioles aren't there yet...

So all teams don't do it you just think the O's should with a RH 1B/DH guy and you figured it wouldn't sound as bad this way.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The Orioles currently have someone on their roster who's producing as much as most would expect Mountcastle to do in his first stint in the majors. That was my point. Like it or not playing the service time game is part of baseball. Every team does it. That's clearly what's happening and I'm fine with it because this is a lost season anyway

He is the fifth highest player in WAR on the team. You know the team that is the worst in the major leagues. The one that is historically terrible.  If he were playing a position I would give him the benefit of the doubt but he is the DH and we already have a bunch of DH's on the team.

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

He is the fifth highest player in WAR on the team. You know the team that is the worst in the major leagues. The one that is historically terrible.  If he were playing a position I would give him the benefit of the doubt but he is the DH and we already have a bunch of DH's on the team.

I mean to say 5th worst position player.