O’s claim 3B Rio Ruiz

Frobby

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

Useless?  You are the point man for the "grammar police"!  I take any constructive criticism very positively.  And I pose to you, "is it not trendy to rediscover former talking points - like the "why not" phenomena?"  If so, "positivism" is still in play here, and I add that the automated grammarian software employed by the OH did not tweak me with red underline.  I rest my case and await your judgment, noble sensei!  ?

Sensei rules in favor of the Defendant, Mr. bobmc. Gavel to the gravel.

But actually I think you misinterpreted my last sentence. I was all for your "Why not?"-- That's why I said positivism no longer had any power to question it. I'm positive about it!

• Haha 1

Ruiz is a guy I’m really rooting for. He’s got a sweet stroke, a good eye for the strike zone, and he’s holding his own defensively. After a miserable first month he appears to have made some adjustments at the plate, batting .288 /.352 /.413 over the last thirty days and .313 /.389 /.500 over the last fifteen.  SSS applies of course. 

Up to now RR has been platooned with Alberto at 3rd, but I’d like to see him get more ABs against lefties as I think he’d hold his own at this point. With his OB% skills I’d also expect him to get moved up in the lineup at some point, maybe swapping with the cooled off Smith Jr. for a bit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Sensei rules in favor of the Defendant, Mr. bobmc. Gavel to the gravel.

But actually I think you misinterpreted my last sentence. I was all for your "Why not?"-- That's why I said positivism no longer had any power to question it. I'm positive about it!

You "sensei"'s are so pure in your thought processes and we "grasshoppers" are only beginning our evolution, as it were.  Thank you for the qualification.  I humbly sip from my green tea and await further instructions.  But, perhaps I should be practicing, practicing, practicing the gavel drop?  Loved that one!  ?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we platoon Ruiz is there hope that he could be a part of the future at 3B?  .458 OPS vs LHP. We have no upcoming 3B options in the minors. It’s his first full season getting regular ABs. Could he become a 1.5+ WAR players at 3rd?

I hope so. It's weird how legit his power stroke looks and yet how little it rears its head.

• 1 month later...

o

(vs. ASTROS, 8/11)

In his first appearance since returning from AAA-Norfolk, Ruiz hit a pinch-hit Home Run in a blowout loss to the Astros.

It was his 6th Round-Tripper of the 2019 season.

o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ruiz is slugging .500 and OPSing .799 in the 2nd half. He's really improved after his brief demotion.

I was thinking, this makes me feel bad for guys like Stewart who probably feel like "it sure would be nice if I was given an entire year to struggle and then improve, instead of scrambling to impress in the final month of the season". Then again, Stewart is likely to get more chances overall than Ruiz.