Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

weams

My thoughts from back before he was selected. They were pretty close, hit showed more like 40 game power (rather than 30 like I said, but paid for it significantly in contact quantity/quality). The hit tool is going to improve, he made a jump he wasn't ready for, but I don't think he's ever going to be more than a 80-90 wRC+ bat, which is fine for a utility guy, but pretty light for an everyday SS who has average defense. 

10 minutes ago, Natty said:

He's our second rule 5 pick in a row that just could not hit ML pitching. Santander really turned it around after playing in AAA for another year. 

On 11/24/2018 at 4:24 AM, Luke-OH said:

Got to Richie Martin today in my video scouting. 

Athletic, fluid runner, at least plus, will steal some bases. 

MLB quality SS defense, not ready to say above average, hands aren't anything special. Good quickness, above average to plus range. Arm is acceptable for SS, would be better at 2B.

At the plate, he changed his swing this year and he hits the ball hard, finds the barrel with some frequency. But it’s all on the ground or very low line drives. Always on his front foot early, bat travels with body, doesn’t have the wrist strength to keep the bat back.  His slugging percentage is exaggerated by AA defense, he looks like 30 game power at best. He’s patient and has a decent eye, but it’s not plus hit, maybe above average that will play down significantly because he won’t walk in the majors, he’s going to get a diet of strikes.

Conclusion: Maybe it’s a utility bat, but that’s the reasonable ceiling. He’d be a candidate for an uppercut swing if I thought he had the strength for it, but I don’t think he does. He’ll likely get selected, the defense and speed is too tantalizing to not give him a look, but he’s not making my top 5.

• Upvote 1

Martin slashed .279/.315/.397/.712 over the last two months of the season but Hyde did a good job of making sure he had good matchups. I think he goes back to AAA next year, but that will depend on whether the Orioles want Villar playing SS everyday next year. If Martin hits well in the spring, he could still break camp with the Orioles since the team is better defensively with him at SS and Villar at 2B.  

Elias could watch the waiver wire as well but it's doubtful many teams are letting go legitimate major league SS's. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin slashed .279/.315/.397/.712 over the last two months of the season but Hyde did a good job of making sure he had good matchups. I think he goes back to AAA next year, but that will depend on whether the Orioles want Villar playing SS everyday next year. If Martin hits well in the spring, he could still break camp with the Orioles since the team is better defensively with him at SS and Villar at 2B.  

Elias could watch the waiver wire as well but it's doubtful many teams are letting go legitimate major league SS's. 

Do you think there is a good chance that we draft another possible SS option in the Rule 5 again this year?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Isn’t Villar much more frustrating at SS than at 2B? And isn’t Martin better at SS( I haven’t checked but his SS D sure seemed better)

9 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

Do you think there is a good chance that we draft another possible SS option in the Rule 5 again this year?

Potentially, it would depend on who is available. It's doubtful though that many legitimately ready SS are available in that draft.

I could see Elias pulling of a trade here since honestly, there's not a legitimate upper tier level starting SS in the system right now unless you want to go down to the GCL where Gunnar Henderson most likely ends up a 3B and Hernaiz is so far away it's hard to tell yet. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, weams said:

I do not believe Villar will play as an Oriole again. 

Earlier in the summer I thought he would be non-tendered, but he ended up playing so well that I do think he will be offered a contract. But there’s so much personnel movement in the off-season and they’re so many options available at second base and short that Villar won’t return very much in trade.

Unless, unless, unless, Mike is willing to take some 17-year-old lottery picks  as in the cashner trade. I could see him doing that.