O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Frobby

15 hours ago, waroriole said:

Would be pretty awesome if we had the batting champ in this season of ineptitude. 

I think LeMahieu runs away with this thing.  But it'd still be awesome if Hanser finishes in the top 3-5.  

Arguably, the biggest surprise of the season.  And no one cares because of no power, low OBP.  But count me in as someone who thinks batting average is still fun.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But count me in as someone who thinks batting average is still fun.  

I dream of a time when baseball goes back to people regularly challenging .400.  We've had 25 years of wall-to-wall power, everyone trying to hit every pitch 500 feet.  It's time for something different.

• Upvote 3

On 8/10/2019 at 2:56 PM, Roll Tide said:

Not saying that I disagree....but how much can it really affect a line drive.

for example, I've played golf all over the US. Due to too many years as a baseball/softball player, I tend to have a pretty flat drive compared to others. 10-12 feet in elevation by my estimation and very hard. It's great for most everything except the 5 pars that have a long distance to the fairway from the tee box. The best part is my ball doesn't get caught up in the wind, slice, and or curve off the fairway.

If the stats say the PCL is different for him fine.... Looking at his 2018 season at AAA, he has nearly the same number of ABs (he has 9 less), that includes 4 doubles, 2 triples, and 1  Home Run. He also batted .330 versus .317.

But, isn't it fair to say that the difference is not very much. And some of it can be attributed to the difference between AAA and MLB pitching?

Mike Kingery.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I dream of a time when baseball goes back to people regularly challenging .400.  We've had 25 years of wall-to-wall power, everyone trying to hit every pitch 500 feet.  It's time for something different.

Ditto me.

Hitting has become less of an art. Everyone's a one trick pony.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Natty said:

Alberto is 3rd in the AL in Batting Avg. And only 2 points behind second. But you know, now days Batting Avg is an old fashioned stat anymore that is meaningless...

1. LeMahieu  NYY .338
2. Brantley  HOU .323
3. Alberto  BAL .321

Sort of like shooting percentage in basketball?  That doesn't mean anything anymore.  It's now "effective" shooting percentage that takes into account the three points awarded for shots made from behind the arc.  Guys jack up a bunch of threes and, even if they make them at a lower percentage than the mid-range jumpers, are considered more valuable due to a higher effective shooting percentage.

Same thing with baseball - increased power numbers are more valuable in today's game than batting average.  The St. Louis Cardinals (Coleman, Smith, McGee, et. al.) would not fare well in today's game.

6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Sort of like shooting percentage in basketball?  That doesn't mean anything anymore.  It's now "effective" shooting percentage that takes into account the three points awarded for shots made from behind the arc.  Guys jack up a bunch of threes and, even if they make them at a lower percentage than the mid-range jumpers, are considered more valuable due to a higher effective shooting percentage.

Same thing with baseball - increased power numbers are more valuable in today's game than batting average.  The St. Louis Cardinals (Coleman, Smith, McGee, et. al.) would not fare well in today's game.

The '85 Cards led the league in runs, batting average, OBP, and were above average in slugging.  They grounded into 30 fewer DPs than average.  They were 2nd-to-last in homers, but I don't see why that wouldn't still work today. Didn't the 2014 Royals go to the World Series with a team that hit 95 homers?