Media and Sig Read This (Warning, it's about Chris Davis)

weams

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/12/2019 at 11:22 AM, Frobby said:

Honestly, I think this is a lot of piling on.    We have no idea how hard Davis is working this winter, or how much he is in communication with the team about what he’s doing.    For all we know, he’s working his butt off and in regular communication with the team.   It’s not like we have tons of information about what all the other players are doing this winter, except for the smattering of information about a handful of guys who choose Sarasota for their offseason spot.    Tillman worked out there all last winter — woo hoo!

Agreed.  I thought Palmer's comments were somewhat unfair.  At the very least, call him out personally before you do that on TV.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Really?    It seems completely consistent with baseball culture to me.   

No kidding. Is he going to call him Michael? Michael Elias? Every single time he refers to him until a period of time of which it's "respectful" to call him by Mike? 

Call me crazy, but when we hired a new CEO, I never once referred to that individual as Mr. <LastName> or <First Name> <Last Name>. I called him by his first name. And still do to this day. I'm not 16. Neither is Chris Davis. And neither is Mike Elias. 

I mean, if you read all of Chris's quotes in that Roch article, all but twice did he refer to new hires as their first and last name. 

I don't know. Just feels unnecessary to harp on somebody like that.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

No kidding. Is he going to call him Michael? Michael Elias? Every single time he refers to him until a period of time of which it's "respectful" to call him by Mike? 

Call me crazy, but when we hired a new CEO, I never once referred to that individual as Mr. <LastName> or <First Name> <Last Name>. 

I mean, if you read all of Chris's quotes in that Roch article, all but twice did he refer to new hires as their first and last name. 

I don't know. Just feels unnecessary to harp on somebody like that.

Did I harp on it or just mentioned that it bothered me?  I clearly noted that it was a personal observation and that I was only talking about myself. 

Do you think I was I dwelling on it persistently or tediously?

Societal standards are not standardized.  Something I consider inappropriate you might think is perfectly normal.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did I harp on it or just mentioned that it bothered me?  I clearly noted that it was a personal observation and that I was only talking about myself. 

Do you think I was I dwelling on it persistently or tediously?

Societal standards are not standardized.  Something I consider inappropriate you might think is perfectly normal.

I just think it's odd and honestly pedantic to think that a grown man should refer to another grown man as Mr. Elias. He's a General Manager, not a Doctor or a Senator. And honestly, those salutations are stuffy, too.

FWIW, this wasn't just directed at you. It was really directed at anybody that agrees with it. Which there were at least a couple here. ?‍♂️  

On 1/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, weams said:

Chris Davis. Your Sarasota Camp is open. Have him come work out. Media. Ask them and Davis why not it not. Every time. 

He has a really big contract that he certainly has to show effort to fulfill.

Make that the issue. Show effort.  Not talk effort and then be contradicted by your coaches. 

Thanks. 

Weams...did you just make this thread for a reason, like something written or heard, or was it just a random thought about Davis?

11 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I just think it's odd and honestly pedantic to think that a grown man should refer to another grown man as Mr. Elias. He's a General Manager, not a Doctor or a Senator. And honestly, those salutations are stuffy, too.

FWIW, this wasn't just directed at you. It was really directed at anybody that agrees with it. Which there were at least a couple here. ?‍♂️  

I couldn't WAIT to call a Senator a ******** ************.

That's just me.

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I couldn't WAIT to call a Senator a ******** ************.

That's just me.

There are two former Senators who work in my office, and yes, I call them “Senator.”    A couple of former Congressmen and Cabinet secretaries but I call them my their first name.   

My neighbor across the street is still Mr. Passman (he’s 30 years my senior and I’ve known him since I was a kid), and my friends’ parents (unfortunately, a dwindling group at my age) still get the Mr./Mrs. treatment.

24 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Agree. Didn't peg CoC as such a square to be honest based on his solid music tastes. ;) It's baseball!

Mike's been around the game. He's roughly Davis' age in real people years (not baseball years). They're peers and Davis is simply talking to Roch casually. Nothing to see here, certainly nothing to feel the need to write on a message board knowing it'll stoke the masses. 

As an aside, the first time I can recall someone calling me “Mr.” (other than teachers) was when I was 25 or 26 years old.    I was walking from my office to my apartment, wearing a suit and tie, and some teenager said “excuse me, Mr.” before asking me for directions.    At first I thought he was addressing somebody else!

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree. Didn't peg CoC as such a square to be honest based on his solid music tastes. ;) It's baseball!

Mike's been around the game. He's roughly Davis' age in real people years (not baseball years). They're peers and Davis is simply talking to Roch casually. Nothing to see here, certainly nothing to feel the need to write on a message board knowing it'll stoke the masses. 

I don't think getting LookitsPuck to respond counts as stoking the masses.

I was just giving my personal opinion.  It wasn't meant to ruffle any feathers.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Until the starting LF (or anybody else on the 25 man) has the ability to trade, send down or release Mike Elias, they're not peers.  The only thing they share is an age cohort and business zip code.

Archived