Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

26 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Career ERA:  3.68

Career ERA+: 123

That's how difficult it was to pitch in the AL East in the Steroid Era.

Agree. That’s always been my argument to his naysayers. It’s like Ginger Rogers saying she did everything Astaire did but backwards and in high heels.

He also pitched in a bandbox over half his career. In the steroid era. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Palmoripken said:

Should go in as an Oriole. His most memorable moments were here. Might feel differently if he had won a Cy or WS with the MFY. Congratulations to him though. I had a grudge for years over leaving for the Yanks but he was fun to watch when he was on. I’ll never forget the near perfecto in 1997. I still dislike Sandy Alomar for spoiling that.

And he was a strike away from one in 2001; alas, Carl Everett's LF blooper squashed that. I wonder how many, if any, other pitchers had the misfortune of losing a perfect game in the 9th inning with two different teams. 

Haven't posted in a long time, but wanted to drop by and say that Mike Mussina was my favorite player as a kid (yes, over Cal) and I'm thrilled he finally made it. Hope all has been well at the Hangout (or at least better than with the O's).

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Be careful what you wish for, if he goes in as an O they might give him a legends statue.

Is there even room for another statue? They are pretty evenly spaced, almost like they thought they would never have another hall of fame player again

Mussina was my favorite player while I was growing up. Threw an occasional knuckle curve when pitching up to the college / legion ball level as a tribute, though never really got any decent 12-6 movement on it.  Usually just bounced it in front of the plate, similar to Moose - only difference is no one would swing at mine.

Congratulations to the last true Oriole ace. 

Boswell is spot on with this memoir of Moose!  He even says that the reason he left Baltimore was because the Orioles traded B J Surhoff.

“That’s it,” spit out Mussina, who was in his free agent walk year. “I’m out of here.”

The next year, he was a Yankee. Cause and effect?

I loved watching him pitch (except to Frank Thomas) and was glad when he departed as i didn't think he could get that elusive Series W in Baltimore.  Won more than 100 more than he lost (117) to put him behind only Pedro and Spahn and topped JP's W total (270 - 267)!

42 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yep.  Different times.   The most starts Mussina had in a season was 36 (1996).  In the days of a 4 man rotation, Palmer pitched 36 games or more, 8 times, which were also all of his 20+ win seasons.  

It also reminds me of how pitch counts were different then too. I remember there being a good many games where Moose went over 120 pitches. 

39 minutes ago, McLikin said:

And he was a strike away from one in 2001; alas, Carl Everett's LF blooper squashed that. I wonder how many, if any, other pitchers had the misfortune of losing a perfect game in the 9th inning with two different teams. 

I forgot about that one. I would wager to bet not many. In many ways, he was a little bit unlucky. Went to the Yanks just after they had a three year run of WS wins and then retired right before they won again. And until he finally did win 20 games his last season, I think he had a 2 including once in the strike shorten 1995 of 19 wins. 

I am very, very happy about this.   Inarguably at least the second  best pitcher ever to wear the black and orange, and arguably the best. Even Palmer would tell you it’s close.    When Moose was on the mound, we always had a great chance to win.   

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

I am happy for Mussina.  He was a great Oriole.  He earned his HOF status and will go in as a Yankee.  I don't like that, but it is probably appropriate.

Mussina said he wouldn't pick one team over the other tonight. On the Hall of Fame's website, it lists his 'primary team' as the Orioles (https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/mussina-mike). This doesn't necessarily mean his plaque will display an Orioles logo, but it is a good sign. The only players from the modern era to deny having a logo on their plaque are Greg Maddux and Catfish Hunter. Mussina could be the third but I certainly hope they decide for him like they did with Gary Carter (who controversially wanted to go in as a Met but rightfully went in as an Expo instead).

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hated him, too.

But I can't deny it, really.  If I was a FA and the Yankees started making big offers to me, I'd jump at it.  Especially at THAT time when it looked like they could win the World Series every year.  

That is precisely one of the main reasons I couldn't care less about Mussina after he left. He just got on the bandwagon for an easy ring.

Archived