Trezza 2/1/19: Will O's target star Cuban SS Sanchez?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I haven’t seen that, the report I saw was a team offered him 2M if he waits until the 2019 signing period.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/yolbert-sanchez-cuban-shortstop-orioles-rangers-astros.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Busy evening and early work morning, so I have not had time to track down the report I saw. The report I read made it sound like the Orioles were the team with the offer on the table, so a little different than the link above. There was also no mention of Elias traveling to see Sanchez, etc., so the report you linked has more details. 

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mike Elias:

What is your point?    

The international slots are not money given by the league to the teams.    They are in essence permits to spend money on international free agents.    If a team chooses not to spend its allotment, obviously it can choose to spend its money somewhere else.    The money they’d choose to spend on international free agents or on something else is “real money.”    Elias’ use of the term means that it’s not chump change, so you have to spend it wisely.   You don’t throw $5 mm at a player worth $2 mm just because you have a permit to do so.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What is your point?    

The international slots are not money given by the league to the teams.    They are in essence permits to spend money on international free agents.    If a team chooses not to spend its allotment, obviously it can choose to spend its money somewhere else.    The money they’d choose to spend on international free agents or on something else is “real money.”    Elias’ use of the term means that it’s not chump change, so you have to spend it wisely.   You don’t throw $5 mm at a player worth $2 mm just because you have a permit to do so.

My point is just to refute folks saying it's not real money. Totally agree with Mike's approach right now. They will either spend on players they like or they will use that money to continue to build international scouting infrastructure and staff and keep carving their way into the market over the next couple of years. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

My point is just to refute folks saying it's not real money. Totally agree with Mike's approach right now. They will either spend on players they like or they will use that money to continue to build international scouting infrastructure and staff and keep carving their way into the market over the next couple of years. 

Those folks are just pointing to the allowed spend on international free agents vs total budget of what might be allowed to be spent.    You do understand the Orioles do not have 6M from somewhere just for international right?    Really just making sure. 

8 minutes ago, murph said:

Those folks are just pointing to the allowed spend on international free agents vs total budget of what might be allowed to be spent.    You do understand the Orioles do not have 6M from somewhere just for international right?    Really just making sure. 

Of course. 

1 hour ago, murph said:

They should as they cut a ton of player salaries.  Plus I am guessing the new manager makes a lot less than Buck did.  

9 hours ago, interloper said:

That's not what Elias said. His quote is "it's real money", in fact.

It’s real when spent. Possibly you misunderstood him.  The league does not give you money to fund the slot allocations. Elias did not misunderstand or wrongly state that  

2 minutes ago, weams said:

It’s real when spent. Possibly you misunderstood him.  The league does not give you money to fund the slot allocations. Elias did not misunderstand or wrongly state that  

I understand that. I'm just saying he's going to use the money that has been earmarked for possible international signings to upgrade the international infrastructure of the Orioles if they do not sign players. Whatever the case is, it would seem about $6 million or more will be funneled into international type stuff.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I understand that. I'm just saying he's going to use the money that has been earmarked for possible international signings to upgrade the international infrastructure of the Orioles if they do not sign players. Whatever the case is, it would seem about $6 million or more will be funneled into international type stuff.

The money is not “earmarked.” It is simply that they are allowed to spend up to the amount listed by MLB without penalty. The money is and was always the asset of the team. They spend it as they see fit, on whatever they want. That is why Duquette traded the international slots away for marginal prospects. He knew that he  would not spend the Orioles’ money, so he traded the slots to other teams to allow them to spend their own money. No currency actually changed hands in these deals. 

Archived