Trezza 2/1/19: Will O's target star Cuban SS Sanchez?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would be the same as signing a kid out of college.

So if, for example they sign him for 3 million$, - that is spread out over the life of the contract?  And I guess what, like 4 years and then arb eligible?

Just now, AceKing said:

So if, for example they sign him for 3 million$, - that is spread out over the life of the contract?  And I guess what, like 4 years and then arb eligible?

No, that is his signing bonus.   He gets it all immediately He then is a standard minor leaguer, and the clock for arbitration and such doesn't start until he makes the majors.

Now I did suggest in a post above that we could offer him a spot on the 40 man roster (bye Donnie Hart) and then I guess he would make the major league minimum when promoted to the majors, and if he doesn't make the team he'd be using an option, all the standard stuff like it would be for any one put on the 40 man roster.

Oh ok that makes sense.  Thanks for the answer.  I’d love to see us just get it done for so many reasons. 

It would change the nationwide narrative about the team and franchise.  We need a feel good, smart, successful signing and we can put an end to the past international embarrassment.

Let’s say we have to give him $ 2 million to sign, and he’s only a MLB utility guy with a ligh stick for 6 years. After that $2 million  we’d be looking at spending,

2019: MILB AA/A+ salary  

2020: MILB AA/AAA salary

2021: MLB year 1 Minimum 

2022: MLB year 2 Minimum

2023: MLB year 3 Minimum

2024:  He’s worth 1st year Arbitration salary or we non tender him  

We basically get a 5 year trial period on that initial $2 million and I’d say even if he reaches the majors that’s a good return on our investment  

1 hour ago, temp19 said:

Face it, he is probably good enough to start for us right now.  He is worth 2m+ but I doubt we sign him.  As we never signs the players I really want. 

I agree. Elias probably doesn't have it in the budget.  Sad what the team has become.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I agree. Elias probably doesn't have it in the budget.  Sad what the team has become.

Downvote! 

At least wait until we see how it plays out. Jumping the gun on judgement and proclaiming "Sad" just makes you look like a childish troll. 

Bye! 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Downvote! 

At least wait until we see how it plays out. Jumping the gun on judgement and proclaiming "Sad" just makes you look like a childish troll

Bye! 

It is sad.  How they didn't sign Gaston or the Mesa Brothers and now going through the motion on this player.  Really do you think there is any chance they sign Trezza?  Another team has evidently offered 2 million if he waits until next signing period.  The Orioles will offer 500k and he will wait. 

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is sad.  How they didn't sign Gaston or the Mesa Brothers and now going through the motion on this player.  Really do you think there is any chance they sign Trezza?  Another team has evidently offered 2 million if he waits until next signing period.  The Orioles will offer 500k and he will wait. 

If I actually knew what the O’s were doing with this guy (Sanchez), and I actually had a basis to have an opinion about how good he is and what he’s worth, maybe I’d agree with you.  But I don’t, so I’ll just wait and see what happens.

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well I think Trezza would probably suck.  

Sanchez, on the other hand, could be pretty good.

Archived