Orioles Sign Eric Young Jr to mil deal

Rene88

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are we talking about Yaz if his last name is Smith?  

I was just thinking this as I read through the thread.  I do think it's giving him a little bit of extra consideration.. and while that's usually pertinent and potentially worthwhile for kids with MLB pedigree, in this case, we've satisfied due consideration.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wonder how many homers Mays would have ended up playing in a park that wasn't so weird.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mel Ott's home field his whole career was the Polo Grounds and he hit 188 homers on the road.  But 511 total, so 323 at the Polo Grounds.  That's the highest home/road split of any big home run hitter, ever.  Ott had about the same number of road homers as Carlton Fisk and Boog Powell, but more homers at home than Frank Robinson or Jimmy Foxx.

Mays ended up with 335 at home and 325 on the road.  He hit a homer every 17 PA at the Polo Grounds, and also one per 17 at Candlestick.  He hit four of his six career inside-the-park homers at the Polo Grounds.  The other two were hit in a little over a month's time at Candlestick at the end of the '60 season.  In 1960 it looks like Candlestick was 397 in the alleys and 420 to center, so big, but not huge. They later reduced the gaps to 365.

Since we are so far the thread, whats one more post.:)

This is a great read.

Every single one of May's home, stadium, pitcher he hit it off, what part of the game and location it was hit to.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/event_hr.fcgi?id=mayswi01&t=b

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I agree but if this isn’t the time to give young players a chance then there never will be.  

I agree, right now, its just an extra body in ST.

Heck, maybe the new manager will go with a small pen, and have a pinch runner utility guy on the bench, who knows.

Not sure, we have enough quality young guys to just throw them all up on the roster.

Weve been saying Elias was the best brain on the market available for the job.

So for now, we just have to wait to see, if he can perform magic.

36 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

And no repair manuals for 1963 beautys? :):):)

Grrrr...  I need to win the lottery because the split-window still sits in my garage, awaiting the start of what's likely a five-year, $30k+ restoration project.  For several years I've been getting around to putting a two-post lift in to start things off. 

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Grrrr...  I need to win the lottery because the split-window still sits in my garage, awaiting the start of what's likely a five-year, $30k+ restoration project.  For several years I've been getting around to putting a two-post lift in to start things off. 

home garage lifts have dropped in price, and actually affordable, and I hear the air compressor can do double duty. :)

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, baseball reference is a huge resource.  But also I've read a fair amount.  Checked out the Baseball Encyclopedia from the library at the age of nine or ten, read it cover-to-cover.  Spent countless hours in my teens and twenties reading about baseball when I really should have been chasing women.  You know how kids today spend six hours a day playing Fortnite?  I used that time to read Bill James.

Sure, but you knew who Eric Yong's teammates were last year from baseball reference. :D

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I agree but if this isn’t the time to give young players a chance then there never will be.  

I will say I'd rather Bostick or Yaz gets the ABs as 5th outfielder than Young! That's why I think he's really here for depth or if Yaz/Bostick both crap the bed this spring.

Archived