Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

There have been a few signs of life with Davis over the last 7-8 days.   For one thing, he has at least three hard hits to the opposite field.     He has about a .780 OPS in the last 7 games.    Don’t get me wrong, if that’s what passes for a hot streak, that’s not enough to offset the Arctic streak that preceded it.    And, his strikeout rate in those 7 games is astronomical.    But, I’ll take the last 7 games over the games that preceded them.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There have been a few signs of life with Davis over the last 7-8 days.   For one thing, he has at least three hard hits to the opposite field.     He has about a .780 OPS in the last 7 games.    Don’t get me wrong, if that’s what passes for a hot streak, that’s not enough to offset the Arctic streak that preceded it.    And, his strikeout rate in those 7 games is astronomical.    But, I’ll take the last 7 games over the games that preceded them.  

The thing that scares me about that is...

His "hard hits to the opposite field" are a result of his decreased bat speed. He is hitting them the other way because he is late, not because it's intentional.

This is early in the season. How much more will the bat speed decrease as the season goes and he gets tired and nagging injuries pop up?

43 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The thing that scares me about that is...

His "hard hits to the opposite field" are a result of his decreased bat speed. He is hitting them the other way because he is late, not because it's intentional.

This is early in the season. How much more will the bat speed decrease as the season goes and he gets tired and nagging injuries pop up?

I would not go so far as to say Davis intentionally hit to LF, but I don’t necessarily think the ball is going there because of lack of bat speed, either.   When he’s swinging well, a decent potion of his batted balls go to LF.    When he’s not, everything’s pulled.

By the way, I’m not denying his bat speed is down.   It clearly is.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, I’m not denying his bat speed is down.   It clearly is.   

Which is concerning not just because of the inability to catch up to the FB, but then he'll compensate by cheating on it and then get caught by the offspeed stuff... as in the AB in the 7th: 4 sliders, FB in the dirt, swinging K on another slider.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the conversation needs to happen at the end of the season if he continues to prove he can't hit major league pitching.  I'm not sure it happens though.  For some reason I don't see this organization just cutting their losses.  

I expect CD to still be on the roster in 2019. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

It's not like Baltimore fans are like NY or Bos fans. They may dislike Davis the player, but Baltimore fan's will never turn on Davis to a point he's run out of town. 

Happened to Murray.

And Murray was still good at the time.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Happened to Murray.

And Murray was still good at the time.

True. But those were more die-hard fans in a different era.  Most fans now are casual and really don't care as much imo.

And Murray had the reputation as a bad guy. Davis is perceived Mich differently.  He comes across as a very likeable g iy. Where Murray didn't. 

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

True. But those were more die-hard fans in a different era.  Most fans now are casual and really don't care as much imo.

And Murray had the reputation as a bad guy. Davis is perceived Mich differently.  He comes across as a very likeable g iy. Where Murray didn't. 

He's not as likeable to me now as he was a few years ago.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's not as likeable to me now as he was a few years ago.

Well yeah...Chris Davis the player. Most saw this as a bad contract. It turned out even worse than I expected. I figured a few 30 HR seasons. I didn't expect the fall off a cliff.

I don't blame or hate Davis. Buck and Peter got their guy 

16 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Davis is white. If you never sat along the first-base line in Memorial Stadium you have no idea what Eddie had to put up with. Plenty of racist O's fans gave Frank a hard time, too, when he became manager (one couple I know refused to use their season tickets the entire time Frank was the manager). Racist behavior wasn't exclusive to Baltimore, I'm sure. But you just can't compare how Davis and Eddie are treated by fans without bringing up the obvious factor of skin color.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Davis is white. If you never sat along the first-base line in Memorial Stadium you have no idea what Eddie had to put up with. Plenty of racist O's fans gave Frank a hard time, too, when he became manager (once couple I know refused to use their season tickets the entire time Frank was the manager). Racist behavior wasn't exclusive to Baltimore, I'm sure. But you just can't compare how Davis and Eddie are treated by fans without bringing up the obvious factor of skin color.

Ubaldo wasn't white. He wasn't  booed out of town. Race had nothing to do with why Davis isn't booed. Give me a break.