Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think if Davis’ final numbers look remotely like they do now, they need to cut bait with him.   You can overpay a replacement level player and keep him out there, but you’re hurting yourself when you’re playing a guy who is well below replacement level.   A buy out would be miraculous but I don’t expect Davis to agree to it.   

Here’s a thought: let the GM of your team make decisions, not the manager.

why LaCava turned down the job, and he was right.

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

It's not like Baltimore fans are like NY or Bos fans. They may dislike Davis the player, but Baltimore fan's will never turn on Davis to a point he's run out of town. 

Oh, just you wait. I'm going to be booing him at the top of my lungs when I go to the game with the tickets I bought early in the season! And I'll probably spend the rest of my time in the concourse eating, drinking and generally not paying attention to the game, since it's 99% going to be a loss.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Davis will be still be owed $92 million after the 2018 season and there is no reason for him to sacrifice a single penny except for the possibility of some disapproval from the fans.  I don't know about you, but $92 million would thicken my skin considerably.  I suppose there might be a breaking point even so.

I don't feel like reviewing the Uniform Players Contract at the moment, but that would be the first place to look to see what, if any, prohibitions might exist preventing a buyout from happening.  If none exist and CD was agreeable, then I would buy him an annuity incrementally paying off the full amount over the 30 years immediately following his retirement.  That would be a significant savings for the Orioles and even allow them to fund it over time.

Does anyone know if something like that would have consequences in regard to the luxury tax?

I wonder if Davis would agree to something like $50M plus $43M to his favorite charity. Angelos would at least get a nice tax deduction.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Eddie wasn't bad when he was run out of town. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't compare Davis and Eddie. One is a bad white player who won't be run out of town, the other was a good black player who was run out of town. So, they shouldn't be compared unless you want race brought into the discussion.

Please I never heard one person say anything bad about Eddie other than the local press.   I have heard plenty bad stuff about Davis. 

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

Eddie was more popular than Chris ever was.   The press were the ones who hated Eddie the fans lived him.  Eddie Eddie the fans would chant. 

Yeah. It was all media generated. Cal was more of the pre-madonna. Not stating in team hotels...taking different flights etc.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if Davis would agree to something like $50M plus $43M to his favorite charity. Angelos would at least get a nice tax deduction.

People are grasping at straws.   Davis has another 4 years of sub .200 batting for the Orioles. 

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

Why should Davis walk away from guaranteed money? Buck and Peter got their guy. I don't blame Chris Davis. It's like throwing away a winning lotto ticket. 

Things could get really bad. Remember Raffy and his ear plugs?

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1. I know ML contracts are guaranteed and acknowledged that Davis is entitled to every penny.

2. You say the players association would never allow it.     Gil Meche -  Despite a guaranteed contract that called for a $12 million salary in 2011, Meche chose to walk away from the game on January 18 as he considered it unfair for the Royals to pay him millions if he would be out all year in the last year of his contract.[1]

As far as I know the players assication can't stop Davis from retiring and accepting a settlement.

3. Ryne Sandberg -

1992[edit]

On March 2, 1992, Sandberg became the highest paid player in baseball at the time, signing a $28.4 million ($49,526,583 today) four-year extension worth $7.1 million ($12,381,646 today) a season.[17] He earned a spot on the NL All-Star roster and an NL Silver Slugger Award at second base with a .304 batting average, 26 home runs, 100 runs, and 87 runs batted in.[citation needed]

1994[edit]

Sandberg, a notoriously slow early season starter, found himself struggling even more so than usual early in the 1994 season. With his average at a career low .238 and having recorded only fifty-three hits in fifty-seven games, Sandberg decided to step away from baseball and on June 13, 1994, he announced his retirement. In his book, Second to Home, Sandberg said,

The reason I retired is simple: I lost the desire that got me ready to play on an everyday basis for so many years. Without it, I didn't think I could perform at the same level I had in the past, and I didn't want to play at a level less than what was expected of me by my teammates, coaches, ownership, and most of all, myself.

Those guys left on their terms. What your suggesting is the Orioles try forcing Davis out. I don't  disagree with your idea, just those examples are different circumstances.

24 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Things could get really bad. Remember Raffy and his ear plugs?

Fair point. Is Davis on his meds? I know he had a waiver again. Maybe he truly has issues focusing. Though his bat has obviously slowed. I don't know. Davis is an enigma. 

It could happen, but it would all be up to Chris Davis. If he continues on the path he has been on, I think a guy might consider a settlement to avoid the embarrassment.  Right now he is the worst hitter in all of baseball and he has been for an extended stretch. I could see a proud guy taking a pile of money and going off to be a full time Dad and a retired baseball player. Not beyond my imagination that this could happen.

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am saying that the Orioles could resort to benching Davis, which is not exactly treating him badly or unfairly.    This would be embarassing for Davis but he's earned it.   At some point, he may decide that the best thing is to take most of the money and spend time with his family.

I totall agree with you. I'm all for it. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Happened to Murray.

And Murray was still good at the time.

I loved Eddie Murray (he's probably my favorite player), but he was a complicated man. I think there's much more to the story then the fans turning on him. 

20 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah. It was all media generated. Cal was more of the pre-madonna. Not stating in team hotels...taking different flights etc.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't it Cal AND Brady who didn't stay in team hotels? 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

First off, I would give Davis the rest of this year to see if there is any hope at all.   Assuming there isn't, I would approach him about reaching a settlement on his contract where the Orioles can save something.  Anything.    Obviously, Davis is entitled to the contract in it's entirety.       They could keep playing him.   At some point the fans will really turn on him and it will get to the point that Chris Davis will not want to put himself through it anymore.  Baseball can't be fun when you are this bad.  As the fans turn on him, it will be even less fun.    Perhaps, Davis will consider a buyout of some sort, where he can retire and still collect most of his contract.   Any idea's?   Any chance?

If they ever make a sequel to Good Will Hunting this will be problem they put up on the blackboard.