Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

26 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Davis made a comment after the game "Im going to be here for the foreseeable future" So I cant think retirement has entered his mind yet. Maybe if he goes on another 1-50 streak he could revisit it, but right now Davis is saying all the things you would expect from someone with 4 years left on his deal.  

He can't hit anymore at the major league level.  Period.  It....is....over.....Every at-bat of his is a waste, as it should go to a younger player.  He won't even try to bunt, so he is doing absolutely nothing on the offensive end to help the team win.  I really don't want to see him come up to the plate again for us, but if the only way to stop this is to have him go hitless for another month or two, then so be it.  If he can take the kind of verbal fan abuse and media mockery that he is going to continue to get, then he is a WAY tougher dude than I am. 

1 minute ago, JR Oriole said:

He can't hit anymore at the major league level.  Period.  It....is....over.....Every at-bat of his is a waste, as it should go to a younger player.  He won't even try to bunt, so he is doing absolutely nothing on the offensive end to help the team win.  I really don't want to see him come up to the plate again for us, but if the only way to stop this is to have him go hitless for another month or two, then so be it.  If he can take the kind of verbal fan abuse and media mockery that he is going to continue to get, then he is a WAY tougher dude than I am. 

For 23 million a year I could take all the fan abuse the fans can give.

33 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Davis made a comment after the game "Im going to be here for the foreseeable future" So I cant think retirement has entered his mind yet. Maybe if he goes on another 1-50 streak he could revisit it, but right now Davis is saying all the things you would expect from someone with 4 years left on his deal.  

Things change. Retirement isn’t always foreseeable. 

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Im not sure he'll be back next year either way, but for now he's amazingly still in the lineup, so he has no reason to quit. Maybe if they decide to bench him at some point, but the team isnt there yet.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im not sure he'll be back next year either way, but for now he's amazingly still in the lineup, so he has no reason to quit. Maybe if they decide to bench him at some point, but the team isnt there yet.

I think it would be easier to be benched. They should play him every home game. That wouldn't be fun for him.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think it would be easier to be benched. They should play him every home game. That wouldn't be fun for him.

Depends how many fans of the opposing teams show up to our home games.  He may get cheered more than booed.

17 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

They should play him and DH for him. 

Unfortunately the rules don't allow it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter#Major_League_Baseball_rule

In Major League Baseball, the designated hitter is a hitter who does not play a position, but instead fills in the batting order for the pitcher. The DH may only be used for the pitcher (and not any other position player), as stated in Rule 5.11. Use of the DH is optional, but must be determined prior to the start of the game. If a team does not begin a game with a DH, the pitcher (or a pinch-hitter) must bat for the entire game.