Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also I haven't seen evidence Davis can bunt the ball in fair territory.  

What I don't get is that he has a nice swing to the opposite field and is capable of hitting home runs that way. I get not bunting if it's not in his skill set, but he should be looking opposite field every pitch until he beats the shift.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

What I don't get is that he has a nice swing to the opposite field and is capable of hitting home runs that way. I get not bunting if it's not in his skill set, but he should be looking opposite field every pitch until he beats the shift.

Currently I think Davis' brain is too scrambled to make any necessary adjustments.  He would really benefit from a DL stint, and spend some time in Sarasota to work on reinventing his approach at hitting a baseball.  

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think he has the necessary bat speed and bat control.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Currently I think Davis' brain is too scrambled to make any necessary adjustments.  He would really benefit from a DL stint, and spend some time in Sarasota to work on reinventing his approach at hitting a baseball.  

And Buck has apparently already announced he'll get tomorrow off as well.   Which will make 4 days off in 6 games.   And 3 days off in a row with the bye Thursday.

At least they are trying something different.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't know of any 32 year olds who managed to revamp their swing and approach.  I'm not sure it's possible to the degree that would be needed.

(I don't think changing your swing angle to impart more loft is the same degree of change)

Might as well try and learn to bat right handed.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know of any 32 year olds who managed to revamp their swing and approach.  I'm not sure it's possible to the degree that would be needed.

(I don't think changing your swing angle to impart more loft is the same degree of change)

Might as well try and learn to bat right handed.

I don’t think Davis can be fixed, but this situation is unprecedented.  The Orioles owe him more than $100M.

The organization needs to throw everything against the wall and see if something sticks.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t think Davis can be fixed, but this situation is unprecedented.  The Orioles owe him more than $100M.

The organization needs to throw everything against the wall and see if something sticks.  

Sure, and hopefully Davis cooperates.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

As long as the Orioles insist on running him out there, and Davis refuses to do the honorable thing, it is about all we have to talk about as Orioles fans. Just how epically bad he is and will be is a legitimate question that the Orioles have put on the table. And somehow Davis continues to get worse.

Come on...

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Someone has to have a come to Jesus conversation with Davis and get him to swallow his pride.  Athletes have big egos, but Davis needs an intervention for his own good. 

I doubt Buck would even consider this.   

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have no idea of the dynamics behind the scenes.

I was just able to have a FaceTime conversation with Chris Davis and I asked him a question based on some of the posts here.  I asked Chris if he thought given the amount of money he was owed did he feel that he owed the fans more?

His FaceTime response....

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's your take away?

Someone put a lot of work into that piece of analysis.

The analysis says all his his BIP are being pulled into shift.   Easy way to get rid of shift is to bunt against it 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

The analysis says all his his BIP are being pulled into shift.   Easy way to get rid of shift is to bunt against it 

The analysis also says his launch angle is down, wouldn't that be a better place to start.

It's simple

1. Davis isn't a skilled bunter
  2. Davis is really slow and not likely to beat out a lot of bunts
  3. Sprinkling in a few bunt singles isn't going to make the shift go away
  4. The rest of his numbers are so bad that just getting rid of the shift isn't going to suddenly make him good or even average.

They could stop shifting today and a slow guy with a 40% K rate who hits a lot of ground balls is going to be a very poor hitter.

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

He'd still be the worst player in baseball (MLB) if they banned the shift tomorrow.

Archived