Luke’s Draft Musings

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he has trouble pulling the ball eh?

Scouting fatigue setting in.

I’m impressed he’s still doing damage on contact, he’s rarely pitched to, but he’s not expanding the zone from what I’ve seen. The Oregon State lineup is pretty lackluster outside Rutschman, I'd walk him.

13 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Does Rutschman have a shoulder issue?

No, where did you hear that?

Edit: To expand on the answer, he had a sore shoulder freshman year, but it hasn't bothered him since and definitely isn't an issue now.

He's popping better times than the majority of MLB catchers. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, OregonBird said:

Might also be thinking of another player in Oregon, Oregon Ducks pitcher Kenyon Yovan, he's been out most of the year with a bad shoulder and he was supposed to be 3-4 round.

I thought it was a hand injury, did he get a bad shoulder working back from the hand injury?

13 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Read it somewhere, might have been BA a few months back. I was surprised . Short note. Haven't seen nothing since.

I was digging around and I found an interview where they asked him about the shoulder because people speculated that it was hurting because his sophomore year he didn't make hard throws to second between each inning. He said that it wasn't because his shoulder bothered him, it was fine, he just didn't see the need to make a max effort throw each inning. 

9 minutes ago, joelala said:

Jerrion Ealy.  Any chance concerns about his sign-ability makes him fall to us in the second round and we could over slot him?  Is he even worth it? 

I like the tools but the swing is garbage and I have a hard time grabbing a guy who is that raw that early.

Maurice Hampton is similarly toolsy and has a much more workable swing, doing that with him would be more interesting to me. 

This is Ealy.

This is Hampton.

47 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I like the tools but the swing is garbage and I have a hard time grabbing a guy who is that raw that early.

Maurice Hampton is similarly toolsy and has a much more workable swing, doing that with him would be more interesting to me. 

This is Ealy.

This is Hampton.

Yea Hampton's swing looks far better in those vids.  I saw some BP video of Ealy at  a perfect game showcase where the swing looked a lot less ugly, so I think he's defintely capable of having a good swing.  But yea, he does seem very raw.  Are either of these guys similar at all to Jo Adell?  Toolsy but scouts questioned how raw they were and whether it would translate? 

Just now, joelala said:

Yea Hampton's swing looks far better in those vids.  I saw some BP video of Ealy at  a perfect game showcase where the swing looked a lot less ugly, so I think he's defintely capable of having a good swing.  But yea, he does seem very raw.  Are either of these guys similar at all to Jo Adell?  Toolsy but scouts questioned how raw they were and whether it would translate? 

Neither has the projectable body that Adell had when drafted, both are pretty filled out. Hampton has produced similar exit velocities, but isn't as fast or as strong of an arm (still good). Ealy is as fast with similar arm strength, but hasn't produced the same type of exit velocities. There really isn't a comparable guy to Adell in this draft. Abrams is probably the closest, Corbin Carroll has equal tools (better present hit) expect for his arm, but Carroll is 5' 10".

Of guys around in the 2nd, maybe Tre Flecter, but his tools are slightly less across the board and he's less projectable. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

This is Ealy.

This is Hampton.

These are short videos but a few things caught my eye. Ealy's weight transfer is a little early. Needs to keep his weight on his back leg more or he's hitting with his arms.

Hampton took a lot of breaking balls. I'd have to see more to see if that's an issue.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

These are short videos but a few things caught my eye. Ealy's weight transfer is a little early. Needs to keep his weight on his back leg more or he's hitting with his arms.

Hampton took a lot of breaking balls. I'd have to see more to see if that's an issue.

I agree about the weight transfer, what I really don't like (other than the bat path which is flat) is how Ealy's hands work on contact. 

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree about the weight transfer, what I really don't like (other than the bat path which is flat) is how Ealy's hands work on contact. 

The weight transfer would alter his swing plane slightly. Might quiet his hands down because his power would be coming from his hips, not his arms and hands.

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

The weight transfer would alter his swing plane slightly. Might quiet his hands down because his power would be coming from his hips, not his arms and hands.

That makes sense, it's just too far from what I want to see to feel comfortable grabbing him at 42 and possibly overslot. 

Now if I was a hitting coach and I just see a fixable issue that I've fixed before, maybe I'd have a different take on it.